carolvj

Slide-out Water Leaks

I've had a 2007 Bounder E35 since July, 2006, with chronic water leaks in the living-room slide out. After NINE separate service/repair orders across the country (we're full-timers), the problem was finally assessed and resolved at Lazydays in Seffner, FL. The first eight dealers worked on patching only parts of the slide-out; the final solution was to replace ALL rubber gaskets along the sides as well as all around the slide-out itself. Re-aligning the slide-out also helped to plumb the area. My caution: don't settle for partial fixes (I learned the expensive way). Have all the gaskets replaced. In addition, Fleetwood now produces an add-on part that's similar to a draft/water edger at the bottom of an outside door on a house (some of you might now the actual name). The this part sweeps the water away from the slide-out when you retract the S/O.

I seem to have the same problem with a cable-operated bedroom slide leaking. Would you mind sharing what it cost you to have an extensive job like that done and how long was the coach in the shop?

I have a Journey 2002 and recently noticed a slight leak in the bedroom slide closet. The outside looks good, have no idea as to where the dampness is coming from. Would love to hear from other MH owners that have cured their leaks and how they did it. And In particular any cures regarding with the Journey.

We recently had a heavy rain and wind event here on the Oregon coast. Winds to 67 MPH and 6" of rain.  We have never had leaks before this storm, but with this storm we had water come in at the lower corners where the slide mates to the coach side walls.  The amount of water was significant.  After trying several things and not having success I finally decided to lower the air bags on the side of the slides a little bit.  This made any water coming down the side of the coach and running inside to follow the new slope to the outside and that has stopped the water from coming in.

BC.  Was your slide or slides out at the time?  If not, then they where not fully in and locked...I have had water come in top and sides with slide out.  Never from bottom!  In 67 mph sustained wind and heavy rain, all 4 off my slides would be in the closed position.  I may be wrong, but I don't think slide seals are made for those conditions!

Carl 

Mine will leak in the bottom corner of the rain is heavy, the wiper seals don't flip out, so when the DW extends them I walk around with a tool I made to flip them out. Next year I will replace them since they are 14 years old and really should flip out on their own.  When the weather gets extreme AKA wind over 30 they come in and stay in.

My slides only seal on the top and sides, the bottom has a thick seal that rides along the metal bottom of the slide, so when the wipers are not flipped out the water channels inside behind the bottom wiper and comes in. 

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 6:54 PM, jleamont said:

Mine will leak in the bottom corner of the rain is heavy, the wiper seals don't flip out, so when the DW extends them I walk around with a tool I made to flip them out. Next year I will replace them since they are 14 years old and really should flip out on their own.  When the weather gets extreme AKA wind over 30 they come in and stay in.

My slides only seal on the top and sides, the bottom has a thick seal that rides along the metal bottom of the slide, so when the wipers are not flipped out the water channels inside behind the bottom wiper and comes in. 

Joe, I do clean all the seals with silicon and also wash the top surface of the slide, by moving it in or out. That kind of makes it easier to get to when on a short stepladder. A good coat of some kind of protect rent on the side walls also help then to seal up.

Rich. 

9 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Joe, I do clean all the seals with silicon and also wash the top surface of the slide, by moving it in or out. That kind of makes it easier to get to when on a short stepladder. A good coat of some kind of protect rent on the side walls also help then to seal up.

Rich. 

Rich, getting under the toppers is a real painful process. I use a product from the RV store for slide seals, I wrap an old shirt around a broom handle, soak it down with the spray product and push it along the upper seal from each end. That seems to work but they are getting delicate from age. I think 2017 is the year to replace the wiper seals. It looks like the hardest part will be removing the toppers and laying them onto the roof for the upper seal access. This makes it really bad for me as I don't like heights :blink:

25 minutes ago, manholt said:

Joe, that's common for short people! :lol: Afraid of heights...

Sorry, could not help it.

:lol:

Well, I'm not actually afraid of heights....I'm afraid of falling :lol:

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

:lol:

Well, I'm not actually afraid of heights....I'm afraid of falling :lol:

It is not the fall that hurts, it is that sudden stop at the bottom ! Maybe you could place a trampoline under the area and if you fall, it should reduce the chance of major injury. Should the kids be around - they might think you where having fun and offer some help! The second option might be to park along side a swimming pool.

Anyway ! I do use the pool that I bought to wash the coach and a cloth attached to the Velcro and slide it along the top to wash it, or should I say get the worst of the dirt off, but to clean it real well. I move the slid in just about 6in. wash and wax the top and repeat it until the total area is cleaned and waxed. Put some silicon spray on a cloth and wipe down all the inside seals. bump out the slide and do all the seals I can reach. The one that runs along the top under the topper is the real hard one - I use that long pole with a cloth sprayed with silicon and run the edge along that one. A few trips and the cloth area is clean after a few trips from front to back and back to front.

Rich.