Threekittys

What's the Best 2011 Towed Vehicle?

We purchased a 2011 Tiffin Red RV this Spring. We are now looking to purchase a towed vehicle to pull behind our RV. However, most messages we have viewed have spoken of transmission and oil problems and other difficulties. Can you please let us know, which vehicle would be the easiest manageability and driveability?

We are quite intimidated by what we have read, but still need a reliable tow car. Thank you for your help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/4/11 A NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR: GM/CHEVROLET HAS DEEMED THE CRUZE AND SOME MALIBU MODELS WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION NOT, REPEAT NOT TOWABLE FOUR WHEELS DOWN.

SEE THESE TWO TOPICS:

http://community.fmca.com/topic/2957-towing-2012-cruze-4-wheel-down/

http://community.fmca.com/topic/3069-2012-chev-cruze-and-malibu-6-sp-auto-not-dingy-towable/

Brett Wolfe

Most, but not all, the problems I have read here center around towing a vehicle with an automatic transmission. If you are not adverse to a standard transmission, that opens up a lot of possibilities with little or no restrictions. We tow a Toyota Corolla standard transmission. To fix it to tow, the only car related items we have to do are: place transmission in neutral, turn off all accessories (lights, radio and AC/heater fan)and take off. There are no mileage or speed restrictions and the odometer does not accumulate towed mileage.

Our Toyota is not unique in that there are a number of standard transmission vehicles that can be towed all wheels down. Some of the vehicles with automatic transmissions require special steps and/or speed restrictions on towing. Some also have speed restrictions. The FMCA towing guide has excellent information. Also, before purchasing, read the owners manual on towing.

Sam

Some of the General Motors products with automatic transmissions are towable 4 down. Jeep Liberty, Wrangler, and Grand Cherokee 4x4s tow very nicely. Most of the transmission problems that I have read about occur on Ford automatic products. See the Motorhome Magazine or FMCA Magazine towing guide for the official word from the manufacturers.

Our toad is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4 dr hard top with automatic transmission, previous 2005 Jeep wrangler 2 dr. soft top have pulled them over 20,000 miles without any mechanical problems, can hook up in matter of minutes.The procedure shifting into neutral very simple. I did have to add a battery disconnect on the 2008 because of electric equipment, this does not create any added time. I am 6' 3 " tall and have no problem with four passengers. I use the Jeep as a second car. I pull the Jeep with a 45' Mandalay and have no problems in and out of parks and tight spaces. The Jeep makes a good off road vehicle when we visit the mountains.

Hello, and welcome to the FCMA Forum,

The "BEST" tow vehicle is the Saturn. However, since they are not made anymore, getting a 2011 is not possible. Our second choice is the Honda CR-V. Honda has always been towable, but I've also read in 2006 Honda stopped providing instructions for towing because people were not following the instructions and they were getting hit with warranty issues. On the other hand, I have read where people are still towing the new Honda's with no problems. In considering a vehicle it is also important to consider the up front costs for the tow bar, electric, cabling, etc. Any car can be towed 4 down (except the Hybrids), but most require a lot of modifications and some require disconnecting the driveshaft. Manual Transmissions and most 4 wheel drives are the easiest to tow. Good Luck in your search. We are currently looking for our new tow vehicle also. We currently tow a Saturn and we love it, but it's getting hard to find qualified service centers.

Ken & Karen Miller F332468

Portland, Oregon

36T Fleetwood Southwind

I have deleted a couple of posts in this thread-- some that were true when written (Chevrolet Cruze and some models of the Malibu automatic towable four wheels down), a post updating that and a rebuttal that the post was correct at the time it was posted.

As I posted in the edit this morning in the first post in this thread, GM/Chevrolet had determined that several models with automatics.

Appreciate the original post and the corrections, but deleting the incorrect information (this has just surfaced in the last 10 days) is clearer than having a first time reader try to determine what is right and wrong.

Again, thanks to all.

Brett

We tow a Chevy HHR with automatic transmission. No problems so what ever. It also has the advantage of being only 3200 pounds. The station wagon shape makes it a great short trip car. Chevy probably won't make the HHR much longer. It is based upon the Cobalt platform. The Owner's Manual expressly allows towing with its 4 speed auto. The Cruze is an all new platform.

Hands down I would recommend a Jeep Cherokee 4x4. We have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's an automatic, very simple procedure to hook it up to our diesel pusher. We also have a supplemental braking system by M&G Engineering that uses our air brakes to proportionately apply the brake in the Jeep when slowing down.

The installation was fairly straight forward, M&G was very helpful. We also install a tow plate by Blue Ox, and tow 4 wheels down. The Jeep does not rack up miles while being towed and does not require any additional equipment for the Jeep's transmission etc.

Definitely HAVE to have a supplemental braking system. Other wise Brett will get after you! :) As I understand it, 2011 Grand Cherokee's can be towed 4 wheels down and you can do it with the automatic transmission. Plus they are pretty nice vehicles to boot!

Hope this helps!