r111rt

Best Satellite To Use For A Class A Motorhome

Thanks, Bill. And once I have the B-Band converter installed, will I be able to run a single coax from the dish to the B-Band converter which is connected to the HR23-700 DVR and have capability to record just as I do at home?

Ray

Guest BillAdams

You will need one coax cable for each tuner input run directly from the Trav'ler. If you have a dual tuner DVR you will need 2 separate coax cables and 2 BBC's for that receiver. You will then have to run through the receiver setup menu to change the switch type from SWM to multiswitch.

Guest BillAdams

My recommendation if you want to change from an SK-1000 for Dish Network to a SK-3005 for DirecTV (the one capable of receiving the DirecTV HDTV programming) that you buy a SK-3005 complete unit, remove the unit from its baseplate, remove the SK-1000 from it's baseplate and swap the 2 units. You will now have a complete used SK-1000 available for sale to some lucky RVer. They will have everything they need except the caulk.

You can change an SK-1000 to the SK-3003 for DirecTV but this antenna will only receive the dDirecTVSD programming on the 101 satellite plus 110 and 119 which might allow you to receive local Network TV programming if you happen to be in one of the rare markets left which broadcast this programming there. This changeover would only cost a couple of hundred dollars.

I just got the 3005 and direcTV and they just sent me 5 B-Band converters (don't know why they sent 5 of them). I only have 1 DVR in the coach and 1 coax comes from the wall plate to the DVR. The b-band converter is supposed to go between the incoming coax and the DVR but the converter has 1 male and 2 females. does it matter which female is connected to the DVR?

Guest BillAdams

I am a bit confused by what you have, but you should have 2 completely separate coax cables that run from the SK-3005 to your DVR. You then attach one BBC to each coax and then plug these into the 2 inputs on the back of the DVR. The converters should be single units that look like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-TWO-DIRECTV-B-Band-Converter-BBC-Module-SUP-2400-REV-3-NEW-/150747100622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23193a35ce

Heard so many good things about the traveller dish that i went out and bought one for the beaver. Can't wait to check it out. Had to have one after being in key west for a couple months Dec/Jan. We stayed at NAS Sigsbee and I was going through TV withdrawl. No football games. No cable at campground. That did it! we are planning a 67 day trip through Alaska Jun-Aug this year and I must have the satellite. We are dish pay as you go plan.

Guest BillAdams

No to burst your bubble, but it's quite likely that you will have little or no satellite while in AK. There's a chance you might be able to set the Winegard to 119 only and receive at least the programming on that satellite but I don't think you will have any service of any kind. DirecTV does have some service up there but if you look around you will most see 30" dishes. I don't think that Dish has any service in AK at all (but I could be wrong).

In my 2005 Jamboree 26Q, I have one of this see link below.

http://www.summitsource.com/popup_image.php?pID=6381ℑ=0&osCsid=8enaglbf3tsmn2i4ts9m6skit0

My question now is how do I hook up my Direct TV SD receiver box to it to get satellite reception? Also if I want to hook up one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Stream-DTX9950-DTV-Converter-Box-/200812716171?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item2ec15ee08b To my TV in the RV do I need to hook it to the splitter box or directly to the television. Or do I need to put it before the Direct TV Receiver?

Your first link it to a video control center and will allow you to send the OUTPUT from your satellite TV receiver to multiple TV's in your RV. Just run a coax cable from the "out to TV" connection on the back of the receiver to the Sat In on the video control center and you will be able to watch the one channel being viewed on the satellite receiver on any of the selected TV's.

The second link is to an over the air (OTA) converter box. This unit will allow an old analog TV to receive the new digital TV signal. The picture will still not be HD but it will convert that digital HD OTA signal to a SD analog picture that you can view on your TV. If you want to be able to watch different channels on different TV's you will need a converter at each TV or you can connect one converter to the TV1 (or TV2) out connection from your video control center and use a splitter to send the one signal to multiple TV's. Just ensure that the converter has an option called "analog pass-through" or you will run into additional issues. I don't see that option listed when I followed your link but you can find one at your local Radio Shack which does.

There is no connection between these 2 devices as they serve completely different purposes. If you are wanting to use a satellite TV receiver in your coach you are also going to need a satellite TV antenna and route a cable from that antenna to the back to the satellite TV receiver Satellite In connection. This coax run must be a separate dedicated line that does not run through any splitters or your video control center.

'RVerOnTheMove',

I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to put an A/B Switch or splitter. Also the digital converter box is an Analog-Pass through DTV Converter Box.

I just need to run a separate outside connection for my Direct TV receiver.

I guess maybe that's why the two clowns from Direct TV said I needed to make a separate appointment to have it installed in the RV. I guess the sales people tell falsehoods when the sign you up for the service and include the set up for your RV. I beginning to think Direct TV is more of a pain than Cable TV. :rolleyes:

Maybe after 15 months maybe I should get it installed. :blink:

Thanks for the input.

Hey W6pea,

Just a thought: I was watching Holmes on Homes awhile back and I saw a satellite dish mounted to a 18"x18" patio block. Maybe work for you??

Definitely cheaper than a tripod, more stable, and less likely that someone will walk off with it.

I support bill's Travler recommendation. Have one that works great--we use with two DTV DVR's. Once we get locked on we're pleased. In one CG we frequent we had a pedistal installed by DTV because of trees.

**** Lokar

My understanding is that Direct TV will allow you to use your in-house HD receiver in your RV. Just unhook from the house TV and rehook it in the RV. I also understand you can do this with multiple receivers if your dish will support it. Is this true?

This will only work on Dish if you have a multi LND Dish. I believe that Direct standard receiver works off a single satellite while Disk 311 receiver used 110 and 119 satellites. If you do not have a Satellite on your roof now it would be in your best interest to go with a multi LNB dish and be able to go as high as HD TV when you want. At present time I use the receiver from our farm and move it into the coach when we go out. On Dish I have to run the Switch Test and every thing works fine.

The poster asked about DirecTV.

Additionally, it will work just the same with Dish but you may not be able to get all of your channels without a multiple LNB antenna. However, depending upon the dish you are using, you might be able to get all of the Dish programming from only one satellite (72.7) but you will need to use the OTA antenna for the Network programming.