migrantdawgs

Protocol Question: Meeting People

We've been full-timing a year this week and enjoy the lifestyle immensely. We work - run a consulting business - in our RV and spend a great deal of time on phone and computers. Our social life suffers unless we are in an area where we know folks in stick houses to play with.

One time a woman I knew happened to be in the same RV park. I invited her to visit. I never saw her - and she told me a few days later that she had stood out front of our RV (a 40' coach) and since I didn't appear, she left. Since then, I've wondered about the protocol - do we knock, or do we hover?

Also, what is the best way to meet other folks in parks? When we're somewhere long enough, we get to know folks a little ("Nice rig!" "Where you from?") - but in general we're not clear on how folks like to roll with meeting new people. Thanks in advance for any advice and input! Sheri

For someone you know, I would think it would be perfectly acceptable to come up and knock on the door of your coach, just as you would in a sticks and bricks home. If it's a complete stranger, I might wait until they're out sitting on the "porch" or puttering around outside the coach and then approch them.

If you meet someone at a social activity, I'm sure you could ask them "what site are you in?" or something similar and see if they are open to visits.

As a side note, in the old days, at FMCA conventions, they used to hand out a cards with the word "yes" on one side and "no" on the other. If you were open for visits, you'd put the "yes"" side in your window, etc. I haven't been to a convention since 1982, so I don't know if they still do this.

Thank you that is helpful! If they used to hand out 'yes' and 'no' cards at the Rallys, it sounds like this has been a point of wonder for others too - I like that idea quite a bit - I've also noticed folks who set up camp w/ an introduction (names, sometimes origin) staked out front or posted on the rig, that looks inviting.

We're new members of FMCA and so we're noticing who's got the little plaque on the rig, that seems more inviting as well.

We could also work a little harder at being outside more, rather than hunched over computers inside the rig! We tend to stay at parks that don't have much in the way of social functions - not on purpose necessarily - that's just the way it's worked out so far. We're learning so much full timing! It took most of the year to just get comfortable and tightened up with the rig maintenance.

Sheri

Thank you that is helpful! If they used to hand out 'yes' and 'no' cards at the Rallys, it sounds like this has been a point of wonder for others too - I like that idea quite a bit - I've also noticed folks who set up camp w/ an introduction (names, sometimes origin) staked out front or posted on the rig, that looks inviting.

We're new members of FMCA and so we're noticing who's got the little plaque on the rig, that seems more inviting as well.

We could also work a little harder at being outside more, rather than hunched over computers inside the rig! We tend to stay at parks that don't have much in the way of social functions - not on purpose necessarily - that's just the way it's worked out so far. We're learning so much full timing! It took most of the year to just get comfortable and tightened up with the rig maintenance.

Sheri

Sheri, Welcome to FMCA and the Forum. Check out the areas you may be staying in for Flea Markets. Most of the time there will someone the makes Wooden signs. Get one with your name and where you are from (John & Jane Doe Someplace, Utah). Put it in your window or better on a stake or something and put it in front of your coach. Then spend more time enjoying the outdoors. If you see people that walk by say hi. Most of the time they are in the same boat you are in. Don't be shy, great them warmly. I have even met people that became customers. Lots of RV Parks have met and great social. Go have fun.

Good Luck :D

Guest BillAdams

I never liked the idea of having a sign in my window with our names. I guess it's just me, but I could easily get caught off guard by a crook who comes to the window and says "Bill, are you in there?" You make the assumption that you are about to open the door to someone who knows you rather than taking the precaution necessary to ensure your safety.

I never liked the idea of having a sign in my window with our names. I guess it's just me, but I could easily get caught off guard by a crook who comes to the window and says "Bill, are you in there?" You make the assumption that you are about to open the door to someone who knows you rather than taking the precaution necessary to ensure your safety.

Bill, you need to stay in better park. :lol:

Bill I think our rottweiler slows down that kind of thing...she has very good manners, and is clearly capable of ramping it up with a word. Many years ago, a law enforcement detective told me that a hearty dog is the best protection, bar none - because criminal types don't like to risk messing with dogs. The detective told me that even little dogs with big mouths work - it's just more hassle for the criminal - and the criminal will move on to an easier target.

(Outside of my belief in good dogs, Life is too sweet and too short to live scared of other humans. My opinion.)

Sheri, Welcome to FMCA and the Forum. Check out the areas you may be staying in for Flea Markets. Most of the time there will someone the makes Wooden signs. Get one with your name and where you are from (John & Jane Doe Someplace, Utah). Put it in your window or better on a stake or something and put it in front of your coach. Then spend more time enjoying the outdoors. If you see people that walk by say hi. Most of the time they are in the same boat you are in. Don't be shy, great them warmly. I have even met people that became customers. Lots of RV Parks have met and great social. Go have fun.

Good Luck :D

I like this idea a lot. Will attend to it! I am going to up my skills on the people front. THANK YOU!! Someone told me just the other day - GET OUT MORE! - I am laughing because I am seeing it really is that simple. DUH.

I've been following this discussion and was interested in the responses. I had never really considered this an issue. From a young age, my family tent camped in campgrounds. We were outdoors most of the time. Other campers, having something in common with us, were always friendly. We invited people to our campfires and they invited us to their campfires. I have some tremendous memories of funny stories and friendships with many people whose names I no longer recall. It was a friend rich environment, as Coleman is currently advertising, the original social networking site.

So when we purchased the motor home and sold the house, I just regarded it as a really big fancy tent with a diesel engine. When we pull into a campsite I'm outside unhooking and parking the car, hooking up utilities, washing the windshield, putting out door mats,etc. I always greet people, some are neighbors, others are casually walking by on the way to or from their campsite. I'll shout greetings to anyone who looks friendly or interested. When I meet someone really friendly or curious it takes quite a while to get my tasks done. This establishes me as an open friendly person who is willing to visit, talk and answer questions. People feel welcome to stop by and visit any time they see me. I frequently barbeque in warm weather and this gives me more outside time. Louise is mostly an inside person so she doesn't make all these connections unless she gets dragged into some of my connections. Louise is a dog person and if someone walks by with a dog, she'll bail out and meet the dog and visit with the owner.

We have a sign and we use it if we are staying in a campground for a longer period of time - a month is my criteria. Like Bill, I don't hang it out most of the time. We have a license plate which identifies our state and that is good enough for me. Our winter park is the exception. That is a highly social park and names help people identify and locate you. At our winter park, the sign is out and everyone knocks on doors, it is just that kind of place. I even have a small porch that makes the rig friendlier for those coming to our door. Another way to indicate a welcome to visitors is to have the main door of your motor home open using only the screen door to keep bugs out. This of course works only when the weather isn't too hot or cold. We have never had any security concerns or problems when in a campground and we've stayed in some pretty humble campgrounds. I have no problem with people knocking on our door though it doesn't happen often.

Though not full timers, we do stay on the road 6-10 months a year and have a goodly number of full timer friends, Some parks have happy hour meetings. Ask when you check in are email prior to staying there. Dog and exercise walkers are always easy to meet, but should be approached with a big smile.

People sitting outside are much easier to communicate with than folks in the coach.

Check forums (there are several very active ones) for people going to the same area as you. We met some very dear friends this way. Also check for rallies that will be near your travel route. Check out the Gypsy Journal for information.

If you don't know about the Escapees organization which is primarily for full timers, check it out. Lots of socializing there.

Ward

Sherri, my Partner and I also own a consulting business working with Dentist, Doctors and Veterinarians. As such we are often in our coach parked for 3 to 4 weeks at a time. Not to mention travel time there and back. Being from the South, I don't think I've ever met a stranger.

Trick is to just say hello! We find when sitting outside our coach sipping on a cucumber martini, that saying hello to people walking by is a great way to start up a conversation.

We also have two dogs that we take with us. When we walk them, we always make a point of saying hello or in my case howdy. That often opens the door to further conversation. Course once they find out about the martinis, our trouble becomes how to gracefully say, "Okay, time for us to go to bed, Y'all have a nice evening..." LOL

Bottom line, don't be afraid to be the first to speak. Most people are open to new friendships. We've made numerous friends that way.

Cucumber martini? I'd stop and say hi.... :rolleyes:

can you share that recipe?

Absolutely!

Here you go:

My recipe is loosely as follows:

In martini shaker filled with ice, put in about 8 slices of cucumbers.

Pour in 4 parts cucumber vodka (we like Square One Cucumber Vodka..about $35/bottle),

two parts bartender's simple syrup,

1 part lime juice (fresh, or I like Duffy's Lime Juice).

Cap up shaker and vigorously shake for 30-40 seconds (very important to mash the cucumber slices).

When done, pour strained contents into chilled martini glass and garnish with a cucumber slice.

Then find a comfortable chair and enjoy!

We, rather I have a problem remembering peoples names and faces,so I downloaded a program from Avery.com(many more are around) and I put our picture on the left side and our e-mails on the right, (these are for the people I know we will never see again, you can feel it when you approach them). Then I took about 10 of them (One sheet) and printed our mail address on the back (These are for the fun people).

I was shocked how many people thought this was a great idea, rather than trying to find a piece of paper and pin, just stick it in their pocket for later.

This is a great ice breaker.

Our very cute Airdale Terrier is a real ice breaker. I walk her all over the place when we are camping. I really love camping, travel, and motor homes, so I just smile big and say a kind word to anyone I meet. I think my enthusiasm for the things about our lifestyle just promotes friends frequently. It does seem to run in steaks though. Sometimes when their is a cloud over my head I don't meet a soul. My wife hates doing things like I do to meet people. But each to his own.