ourfmca

Towing A Smart Car

We purchased a Smart car to tow behind our motorhome. Were told it was towable. We find out that it is towable but only at 30 MPH for max of 30 miles. We are going to have to trailer it. Any suggestions for Smart car tow-ers?

Hi ourfmca,

I got this from the Smart Car web site:

Can I tow my smart fortwo?

The smart fortwo is designed to be flat towed with all four wheels on the ground. Your smart center can assist you with the procedures to allow for flat towing. In addition, the car can be carried on a flat bed.

Can you provide us a bit more information? What year and model did you purchase? How did you determine your Smart Car is not towable 4 down?

I have seen many (at least a dozen) Smart Cars being towed 4 down.

thanks,

Guest Wayne77590

This site, FMCA, provides a list of cars that can be towed. According to the FMCA 2009 Towing Guide, the 2009 SmartForTwo can be towed four down in the manual transmission mode.

Also, if you look in the user manual you should find information on towing.

Just had a problem with my Smart ABS light staying on. The Bedford Ohio Smart service center stated that the breaks got too hot and over heated the sensor. They believe the Breaking system puts just a little pressure on the breaks.

We are unsure and are still testing. :rolleyes:

I have 15,000 plus miles towing a Smart car, four wheels down, behind my restored 1973 GMC.....max elevation so far was over the Continental Divide at Cottonwood pass.

The most important thing is to get a good tow set up for the Smart. I tried to tow it with the towing rings in front and pulled them out of the car. I use a Blue Ox set up on both ends and had the rear lights wired to a plug on the front.

On side trips, we have put another 12,000 on the Smart and find it great on dirt roads up the mountains.

We purchased a new 2009 Smart car just for towing " flat four". Owners manual says "Yes"! We have towed this over15000 miles with no problems. No warming up trans. etc. Put the trans in neutral, leave key in ignition accessory position, disconnect battery and you're "Good to go"! One tip: attach a bungy cord from steering wheel to under front seat! This will eliminate a nasty steering wheel back lash on slow tight turns. The car is so lite I dont bother with a brake control. Another tip" When re-connecting the battery, hold down on brake pedal before turning key to on position! The transmission has to re learn the codes. It takes about 10 seconds. When the "P" park symbol shows on the dash the car will start and you are finished. Hope this helps! I had to learn the hard way!

I tow a SmartCar with my motorhome and have had no problems. The battery does not die, it tows like it's not back there, and a trailer for it is not required.

I also have a Chevy Equinox Sport and Chevy Traverse and they are also set up to tow. Equinox must be a Sport to tow it.

Martha Barnes

Just Smelling The Roses

Fleetwood Terra LX

Merritt Island, FL

From your response on the Smart Car flat tow, it seems you are not disconnecting your battery, and that you have no problems with you SC being towed with the battery connected. Is that correct? If so how many miles have you towed your SC that way. Also what model and year is your SC? I've just picked up a new 2011 Caborlet and am getting ready to get it set up for 4 down towing. Any advise you can give me will be helpful.

Safe Travels,

John

I've always do the hookup work myself. No big deal as long as you have some tools. I to have just bought a new SC. I've a Roadmaster hookup set coming. Opps here it is.

$%28KGrHqV,%21lUE2EDoNZHvBNpdHksZZw%7E%7E0_35.JPG

• Roadmaster 52285-1 EZ Tow Bar Base Plate Bracket Smart Car
    And that's even my car. Man that worked out slick! If you want to look at how involved it is to install. Go to http://www.roadmaste...ons/52285-1.pdf and that will get you the info. I only use Roadmaster products and have been extremely happy with all of their products.
    Safe Travels,
    John

Multi-year RV owner (02 Bounder 36u), first trip towing my Smart car. 12" difference between car & RV. I know you can have 3" difference between the heights. Did any of you have any large differences in height with how low the Smart Car is & how tall the RV's tend to be, and how did you fix this properly?

Did you find that you needed an extender to that your car or tow bar sis not strike the back of your RV when pulling tight corners? If so, how long did you need?

Leaving soon, praying Camping world will save me, will only have car with me when I stop by. I have found their knowledge lacking in a couple other areas, so I am hoping someone will be kind and help me before my 10 hour trip!

Thank you for your response!

You brought up a great point- Blue OX does allow 4", however, Roadmaster only allows 3". My receiver height is 27", & my Smart Car is only 12" high at tow bar level.

THIS TIME, I have a more difficult question. Does anyone know if I can "stack" 2 RV hitch High-low adapters; say a 10" to a 2", or would we be better off if I "stack" these in 2 equal high-low adapters, such as 2 - 6" drops, if this is something that I can even do?

If I can stack High-Low hitch adapters, using very strong locking barbell type pins, all will be solved. Oh all knowing ones, please answer my question.... Does this at least sound feasible???

I very much appreciate your help!

I think that the required difference of 3 or 4 inches probably has to do with heavier cars. The problem is the leverage of weight is multiplied with the heavier cars and the SC is relatively light.

I flat towed a 2008 Cabrolet for two years, with no problems. Then I decided to change cars, went for a Mini Cooper, bad mistake. Went back to a 2012 Cabrolet. What I need to know is, will the BlueOx BX8848 wiring kit work on the car without causing any problems? I ask this because I do all of my own work to set the car up for towing, and I would rather not have to take the rear off in order to do the tail lights.