gypsies2

Adding Profile Photo on Forum

You were almost there! In this forum, Forum Support, is a topic, First Time Users Guide. It has a link to a PDF file which covers a number of topics including photos. There has been a software change recently and I'm not sure that the changes have been incorporated in the guide. You may have to do a little head scratching to get it done but the basics should be there.

After a little digging I found that the PDF file doesn't contain the current information, at least regarding profile and signature.

Look in the upper right hand corner of this page. You should find your name in a box with an arrow on the right side that has a drop down menu. Select My Settings. When that page loads, you will see a variety of options. Select Profile. From there, you can edit your avatar and load any picture you have in your gallery as an avatar. So step one is to select a photo and load it into your gallery. You will want to reduce the picture file size. The limit will be indicated when you get ready to do the avatar. It may take several tries to get the file size correct. I think it is a pretty small file, 75KB, 90 pixels x 90 pixels.

You can also edit your signature to include any information you would like to share when you post. I have basic information about my rig and our circumstances so I don't have to reference that as I am posting information. You can choose to include other information.

TBUTLER is right-on regarding adding your Profile photo and your Avatar. Your avatar is the little image that accompanies all of your posts, under your display name. Your Profile photo is the image forum users can see if they choose to view the Profile information that you provide. To add or change these images:

Go to My Settings.

Click the Profile tab

Select Change Photo or Change Avatar.

The steps for inserting images to forum posts has changed since the software upgrade. To add images to specific points in your post:

1. When you reply to a message or post a new topic, under the text entry box you will see an "Attachments" heading. Below that is a Click To Attach Files link. Click that link to find the image on your computer and attach it. The image file name will then show under the Attachments heading.

post-220-0-40260300-1312374706_thumb.jpg

2. Although you have attached the image, you still must add the image to your post. Place your cursor at the point in your post where you want to insert the message. Then, click Add to Post link, which is across to the right of your image file name. For each image you want to insert, remember to place your cursor and then click the "Add to Post" link.

post-220-0-10322000-1312374816_thumb.jpg

You can attach multiple images at the same time. After attaching them, position your cursor and then click "Add to Post" to place each one.

I you do not care where your images are positioned within your post, just attach the images as described above, but do not use the "Add to Post" feature for each image. Your images automatically will be inserted as thumbnails. This is handy when you have multiple images that pertain to your entire post rather than specific text within your post.

If you need further assistance, pleas send me a private message. I'll be happy to talk you through this.

Hope you have better luck than I have. I tried to change my photo last night and again tonight without success. I keep getting a message of "Failed to set new photo". No other information is given. I have reduced the picture to various pixel sizes and still get the same error.

I tried to change my photo last night and again tonight without success. I keep getting a message of "Failed to set new photo." No other information is given. I have reduced the picture to various pixel sizes and still get the same error.

Try to keep profile/avatar pictures to no more than 300 pixels wide and under 60K in file size or the system may "Fail to set new photo." Make sure the file format of your photo is .jpg, .jpeg or .gif.

• Go to My Settings.
  • Click "Change your photo ..."
  • Browse to the location of your photo.
  • Click "Done."
  • Scroll down and click "Save Changes."

If you still have trouble, send me a PM.

Note: Earlier posts in this thread apply to previous versions of our forums software and might not fully apply to current photo/avatar settings.

I had already tried going as low as 60 pixels and it still gave me the same message. And the pic is jpeg. I just tried on that is 278 x 208 pixels and received the same message. I have tried this with several different pictures and receive the same result.

I just failed to add a photo.

I selected a photo that was over 3 mb in size, and in properties it discloses that it is 3800 x 2600 pixels in size.

I would like to know if this size, which is typical for my photos, is ever going to be acceptable to this software.

If not, how do I reduce the size of the photo, and what size is acceptable?

I just failed to add a photo.

I selected a photo that was over 3 mb in size, and in properties it discloses that it is 3800 x 2600 pixels in size.

I would like to know if this size, which is typical for my photos, is ever going to be acceptable to this software.

If not, how do I reduce the size of the photo, and what size is acceptable?

For your profile or avatar, the system will not accept images of that file size or physical size. Images that you insert in forum posts can be larger, of course.

If you don't have a photo editor, such as Microsoft Picture Manager, on your computer, you can use any number of free online image optimizers, such as http://www.imageoptimizer.net.

tmoning:

I just tried the image optimizer program that you attached. I still get a failure on the attempt to add a photo to my profile, although the size is now 205 KB. I will send you the photo, but I would prefer knowing how to get this feature of the FMCA site to work.

I am new to FMCA and just setting up my profile. I see lots of profile photos here on this thread, so I have to ask how they got there. I saw in the new users guide you have to take a photo from your gallery. So I set up my first album but when I try to add a profile photo it keeps going to my pc photos and they are too big. I don't see an option to take one from my album. Any suggestions?