Sign in to follow this  
coutch

12 Volt Power Switch

I own a 1999 National Sea view 8330.

When you turn on the 12 volt power switch a red light on the panel comes on and when turned off it goes out. It is the same size as the switch, like a rocker switch. This red light is burned out and I'm looking for a replacement or change the system.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Coutch

Coutch,

As you indicated, these small lights are wired to illuminate when the switch is "on". While I haven't seen your light, most of them can be easily removed from the back of the switch panel. If you unscrew the panel to which the switch and light are mounted, you'll likely find small fingers on two sides of the light unit. Press them in and the light unit can be pushed out through the front of the panel. Once you have the light unit removed and disconnected, you'll likely find a manufacturer's number on it. From that point you can either replace the whole unit or just the bulb by contacting your local RV shop, Camping World or Marvac Electronics.

I hope this helps.

I have had many of these burn out ... they have all had either a small bulb or neon bulb. I replace them with 12 volt LED, that are available at Radio Shack for a couple of dollar. The front red cover will pop off and the leads can be soldered in.

An LED will last a lot longer than a bulb, draws less power, and is cooler.

Coutch,

As you indicated, these small lights are wired to illuminate when the switch is "on". While I haven't seen your light, most of them can be easily removed from the back of the switch panel. If you unscrew the panel to which the switch and light are mounted, you'll likely find small fingers on two sides of the light unit. Press them in and the light unit can be pushed out through the front of the panel. Once you have the light unit removed and disconnected, you'll likely find a manufacturer's number on it. From that point you can either replace the whole unit or just the bulb by contacting your local RV shop, Camping World or Marvac Electronics.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. I now have it fixed with the knowledge you gave. Thanks, Coutch

I have had many of these burn out ... they have all had either a small bulb or neon bulb. I replace them with 12 volt LED, that are available at Radio Shack for a couple of dollar. The front red cover will pop off and the leads can be soldered in.

An LED will last a lot longer than a bulb, draws less power, and is cooler.

Thanks for the info. Radio Shack did the job and should be good to go for a long time with your comments. Thanks, Coutch

LED replacement lamps use less power than incandescent and Xenon festoons, and they produce no harmful UV rays. With only trace signatures of heat, they have become a favorite for retailers that showcase sensitive items in merchandising display cases. A luxury LED replacement bulb will use only 10 percent of the energy required by an incandescent bulb,

Hello... I've got a 2000 Mark 5 Fiesta (Facelift) and I am looking to power two USB chargers what I have internally fitted in my car...

In the Fiesta I have, the cigarette lighter socket is a constant 12V feed what still can draw power when the ignition is off and I don't want to keep the chargers powered if the car is off and accidentally leave something plugged in and come back to a dead car battery so I need to find an alternative.

I did add a terminal connector to the switched live feed of my car radio to see how that went but the cabling for that source is only build to hold very little current and I managed to burn the cable out accidentally so this isn't an option any more.

So I was wondering if maybe anyone else has an idea on where I can get a source. What can power what I want only when the ignition switch is on? Maybe I can use the heated seating circuit from the ECU as my car isn't equipped with heated seats? Or maybe I can build some sort of circuit what will only allow power through if it is receiving a voltage from the switched feed but wont pull the current from the switched feed itself?

It would be great if somebody that has done this can help, even better if they have done it in the same car!

Not exactly sure what you want, but I think this will work. If you car has blade-type fuses, check in the fuse box for a fuse that is on a circuit that is only on when the key is on (not ACC). A good possibliity is the fuse for the electric fuel pump if your car has one. You can go online and find piggy back fuse devices that you can plug into the slot in the fuse box where the original fuse was plugged in. Then you put the new fuse into the piggy back device. This will give you another slot where you can put a second fuse and that fuse slot has a wire pigtail that can then go to the device you want to power. Radio Shack might be a source for this item, although it shouldn't be hard to find one. Even auto parts stores might have them. The fuel pump fuse (or whatever circuit you use) remains separate from the new circuit so they don't have to be the same size. Both fuses will be installed after the device. If you can't find one, let me know and I will try to find a website for you. I use this on a car that I pull a travel trailer with to provide 12V to rhe trailer for battery charging. The seat heater power source might work too. Check with a meter and see if it is hot when ignition is on. Be sure the new device you are powering does not draw more power than the heater circuit or the wire size might not be adequate. Hope this helps.

Any electronics gurus want to help me add a 12 volt trigger to my Berringer 2500 amp? I am looking for a way to automatically turn it on when my AVR turns on. I'm guessing I could use a relay in place of the power switch but am worried about adding ground loop noise. Yes I know it will void my warranty but hey that's what diy is all about right?

There are power strips available that have one sense outlet which when a load is sensed it turns on other outlets. These are 120 volt and I have gotten them a Radio Shack quite some time ago.