bigbryank

Air Bags Not Releasing?

Hello folks,

This weekend the family and I went out for a short trip to one of Florida's beautiful beaches. While there I noticed that the rear of my coach wasn't dropping quite as low as the one 2 spaces down. I guess I never noticed it before but since we had the mother in law along she mentioned that it seemed to be a big step to get up in the door. As I looked and had a conversation with Mike (didn’t catch his last name) it seems he had a ’98 American Tradition while mine is a ’99 we came to the conclusion that there wasn’t much of a difference in the two. As we spoke I asked him why his coach set lower than mine He said that he allowed all of the air to dump prior to leveling. Basically he said he turned on the leveling system and the air dumped from all 4 bags (front & Rear) so we tried the same with mine and it looks like the front does release but the rear never sets down so when I try to level the coach the front jack extends what seems to be fully. (Which leaves my first step about 12 or more inches (his was about 6 or so) off the ground.)

I guess my question or questions are:

# 1 which is normal and I guess if mine is incorrect

# 2 what would be a possible fix?

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the FORUM Bryan,

Is this an HWH system? Our HWH system allows us to dump manually then level. Assuming that both sites were level, a good bet in Florida, your coach should go down as the other coach. I would call HWH to discuss your problem with them. My experience with them is that they are quite helpful with problems related to their units. At the very least, you should be able to eliminate their system as the problem and then start working on other possible causes.

As an aside, Camping World sells a very nice heavy duty metal single step that you could use as a step up to your step level until you get things working properly. I'm in therapy now and there is step exercise equipment, plastic, that would work well for a step up to the high step on your rig. It was advertised on TV years ago, your wife or mother-in-law may have one in a closet somewhere! I carry the Camping World step with us because we find ourselves in sloping campsites often enough it is just handy to have.

Good luck!

Hello folks,

This weekend the family and I went out for a short trip to one of Florida's beautiful beaches. While there I noticed that the rear of my coach wasn't dropping quite as low as the one 2 spaces down. I guess I never noticed it before but since we had the mother in law along she mentioned that it seemed to be a big step to get up in the door. As I looked and had a conversation with Mike (didn't catch his last name) it seems he had a '98 American Tradition while mine is a '99 we came to the conclusion that there wasn't much of a difference in the two. As we spoke I asked him why his coach set lower than mine He said that he allowed all of the air to dump prior to leveling. Basically he said he turned on the leveling system and the air dumped from all 4 bags (front & Rear) so we tried the same with mine and it looks like the front does release but the rear never sets down so when I try to level the coach the front jack extends what seems to be fully. (Which leaves my first step about 12 or more inches (his was about 6 or so) off the ground.)

Thanks for any help.

I have the same issue with my 2006 Monaco Cayman......so I am interested in what the 'experts' have to say also.

Hello folks,

This weekend the family and I went out for a short trip to one of Florida's beautiful beaches. While there I noticed that the rear of my coach wasn't dropping quite as low as the one 2 spaces down. I guess I never noticed it before but since we had the mother in law along she mentioned that it seemed to be a big step to get up in the door. As I looked and had a conversation with Mike (didn’t catch his last name) it seems he had a ’98 American Tradition while mine is a ’99 we came to the conclusion that there wasn’t much of a difference in the two. As we spoke I asked him why his coach set lower than mine He said that he allowed all of the air to dump prior to leveling. Basically he said he turned on the leveling system and the air dumped from all 4 bags (front & Rear) so we tried the same with mine and it looks like the front does release but the rear never sets down so when I try to level the coach the front jack extends what seems to be fully. (Which leaves my first step about 12 or more inches (his was about 6 or so) off the ground.)

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the Forum.

You have two solenoid valves on your coach. One for the front air bags and one for the rear. If when you press the dump button you should hear the air releasing and the coach to slowly lower. If only the front goes down then you can have several problems. 1) a bad solenoid. 2) a blown fuse for the valve. and 3) the one I had. Dirt dobbers nest in the valve.

Hope these help. smile.gif

We had a similar problem with our 05 Fleetwood Expedition.

Took it to Freightliner just out of warranty. Turned out to be a leak in the air line (poor connection at the rear end) that released the air bag pressure.

As I recall the system needs to apply air pressure to the air bag release which is why it was only working sporadically with the leak present.

It was fixed at least 3 years ago with no problems since.

If you are handy you might get under the coach and see if you can follow the line to determine if you have a loose or poor fitting or a broken line. Some of them are plastic and may have push on connections.

Regards,

Amby N.

Hello to all,

This is my first post or reply to any question.

I have a 2003 Fleetwood Revolution and last month I had a problem with airing up the coach. In the process of resolving the issue I learned a lot about the dump/air up system on the Freightliner chassis. While there may very well be a problem with the solenoid or dump/air valve, located behind and just below the frame mounted air tanks above the front axle, I suggest you disconnect the ride hight valves at the rear axle, move the frame attach rod to the up position and see if the coach lowers. Seems to me if the front of the coach drops than the dump/air valve is working. That is the only control for all of the aid bags.I hope this helps if not go to 1 800 FLT-HELP with your vIn#.

They are great and will walk you through the process,it is a 24-365 help line. jimt

James,

Good advice, BUT, be sure to use safety stands before crawling under and disconnecting or working on any part of the air suspension, particularly a ride height valve.

As you suggest, it should lower the coach-- said another way, drop the coach on top of you!