wonderinggypsies

Bleach In The Black Tank

We started using the 'happy bowl' paper liners in ourt RV toilet over a year ago - and following their directions for usage - no chemicals are put in our black tank at all & NO ODORS!!! We will never go back to using chemicals again - happy bowl is exactly as it's name states!

We get a bad smell when we first set up at a campsite. We have a 40 ft. coach and when we start up the AC, the smell comes from the AC vent in the bedroom which is in the back of he coach next to the bathroom. Once the AC is on awhile, the smell goes away. We flush AquaKem (sp?) to clean the toilet & tank periodically.

What could be causing this smell?

We get a bad smell when we first set up at a campsite. We have a 40 ft. coach and when we start up the AC, the smell comes from the AC vent in the bedroom which is in the back of he coach next to the bathroom. Once the AC is on awhile, the smell goes away. We flush AquaKem (sp?) to clean the toilet & tank periodically.

What could be causing this smell?

Sounds like the classic symptoms of an A/C evaporator that needs cleaning-- the condensation and dirt on the evaporator allows mold and mildew to grow. Use a commercial evaporator cleaner from any HVAC store and many box stores.

It is accessed from the roof.

In addition to all of the good information included above here's another freebe to help control black tank odor. Use generous amounts of flush water. We have observed that when we are either dry camped or camped without a sewer hookup that we tend to use less flush water in order to go two weeks without emptying. Whereas when we are hooked to a sewer we use much more water to flush and usually need to empty in a week. The longer period without emptying has caused odor buildup thus teaching us that the greater use of flush water does help with odor control. We also keep the toilet very clean as this, too, can be an odor generator. For chemical assistance we have found the use of RV-Trine products to work exceptionally well.

Kind of reopening an old thread, but the problem we are having is the smell of death coming from our toilet when flushing. We always clean the black tank well and use a holding tank treatment at the start of every use. My trailer is plugged into an RV spot at a park right now and we only get to use it on the weekends. We are hooked to water and sewer, but I keep tank valves closed and drain at the end of every weekend. A friend flushed a little Clorox through their black tank and it seemed to kill most of the odor, so I was going to try that this weekend. After reading on here, I'm going to also check my roof vent... but again, the smell is only flooding the bathroom when I flush the toilet. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

cnahass,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, the goal is NOT to make the black tanks smell good, but to make sure that the smells do not reach the interior of the RV.

You do need to check your tank vent and if it is OK, consider one of the pivoting venturi roof vent covers.

I have a 2000 Wildwood 37ft travel trailer that I have owned since new and never have i used anything but bleach to kill the smell from both waste water tanks... All of you use bleach in your washers at home right? well washers have gaskets to, do any of you have leaky washers because of bleach???? bleach kills all the bacteria and destroys the smell in a matter of minutes and in 13 years never have I had any part of my pluming fail... It.s all storIEs just to get you to buy a pricey product...

If you don't have it, there is a "spinner" that can be purchased at Camping World (less than $30) It is easy to install, spins/runs off tap water's pressure and does a very good job. Just need enough time at the dump station to get the tank "clean". It does help to have a see thru/clear connection where the effluent exits the tanks. This will enable you to see when you have done a thorough job.

Also, the TP used can be detrimental to clean tanks. Test your TP by putting two sheets in a jar of water and then shake. Let set. If the TP dissolves in a few minutes you are good to go.

Just to reinforce what Wolfe said:

The waste system is sealed except for the roof vents.
If you have any odor that isn't getting into the RV from the roof vent or out of the toilet when you flush with an exhaust fan running, you have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Some of the problem areas are.

Dry traps, sinks, showers, washer

Exhaust fan running while flushing

No water in toilet bowl

Bad air admittance valve under sink

We (and a great many other folks) use no chemicals at all. Just a goodly amount of water when we flush and we have no odor issues.

I am glad I read this topic however my concern has always been with germs coming out of the water holding tank. I always have put bleach into the water tank and then after a few days of soaking I run it through every water line in the MH emptying it into the gray and Black tanks then allowing the bleach water to sit in the waste tanks for a few days before killing all the weeds in the garden on our wall under the parking area of the MH. Now that I will not use bleach any more how do you make drinking water safe to drink out of the tank or from the hose in a full hookup site? I replace the in line filter each year but is that enough? I am a little cautious after suffering food posioning from just brushing my teeth in Istanbul Turkey while on a business trip so I do carry crates of bottled water for us and the dog to consume only using the water for showers and toliet reasons, oh and washing dishes

2005 SunVoyager 8.1 gas / 2012 Terrain Toad

USAF Ret 89

Now that I will not use bleach any more how do you make drinking water safe to drink out of the tank or from the hose in a full hookup site?

2005 SunVoyager 8.1 gas / 2012 Terrain Toad

USAF Ret 89

Actually, many of us DO sanitize our potable water tank and fresh water plumbing with bleach.

If the tanks are properly installed and properly vented there will be no odor in the coach. The only thing all these additives do is provide revenue for the makers.

If the tanks are properly installed and properly vented there will be no odor in the coach. The only thing all these additives do is provide revenue for the makers.

I am afraid we have two very different discussions going here.

I agree with you-- I never add chemicals to my gray or black tanks.

But, since we do use our water system, I do sanitize it if it has sat over 2 months.

Brett