Sign in to follow this  
slowe

Looking For Campground Near Birmingham AL

We will be traveling from Destin, FL to Chattanooga, TN.

We thought that somewhere around Birmingham would be good to stop. I saw Oak Mtn. State Park,but the reviews were not great, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also any recommendations for Chattanooga area.

Thanks.

We have stayed in the state park several times. They do have full hookups, but I think electric is 30 amp. They have sites to accommodate all sizes, but they are gravel not pavement. There is a long drive from the entrance to the campground, but the park is very nice. I have seen many deer and turkeys. It is not a KOA, but I stayed for two and half months once and the staff was very nice. Quiet and peaceful. A GPS may show that you can enter on the north end, but that entrance will not handle RV's-- use the south entrance. I have enjoyed my stays and would encourage you to try it.

Slowe,

I am a Host at OMSP right now. It is a very pleasant park, very woodsy. It is 30 Amp. They have just opened a 50 amp, full hookup area near the front gate if you are just looking to overnight. It is primarily there for horse people on the weekend but it is a good overnight spot. I rarely see anyone in it. Do not follow GPS directions to the north gate unless you are in a van camper or a small class C. You have to drive over a dam and through a ford in a deep dip (the spillway) to come in that way. GPS units want to route you that way because it is maybe 1/4 mile shorter. If you arrive after 8 PM, that gate will be locked.

We travel between Greenville, SC and Denton, TX and have stopped for one night at Cherokee Campground, 2800 Hwy. 93, Helena AL, 35080 (off of I-459 –Birmingham)

If you can get the Passport America rate, they’re okay for one night, and pretty convenient to the Interstate.