wolfe10

Cleaning The Radiator & CAC

Brett - could you clarify a statement made early in the posts and one I've seen elsewhere? Is running the engine while spraying the cleaner and rinse OK? On another forum, a CAT C-7 owner (like mine) stated he used this procedure with the idea that the fan would sling the cleaner and rinse in the same places that would get the dirtiest. Your thoughts?

Keith

Keith,

While I have never done that (the thought of being in the engine room with the engine and fan running kind of scares me.

If you decide to do it, make sure that you do NOT allow the soap to dry out on the CAC or radiator. So, do not have the engine up to operating temperature if you decide to do it.

Keith,

The idea of washing the CAC and Radiator with the engine running would likely clean the area around the inside of the fan shroud, but I'm not sure you could get the bottom left corner of the CAC and radiator.

The pitch of the blades and the angle of the spray would carry most of the washing and clear spray to the Right corner of the setup, with very little getting to the lower left corner as you work or look from inside the engine compartment.

The only way to really get to that area is with the engine off and spraying the area from underneath.

With the engine running and spraying from the bottom there is a greater possibility of the fan hitting the pressure wand.
Not what you want to happen and the chance of inadvertently haveing the same thing happen while working from the top is also a possibility.

Kind of a scary idea to me also.

I have put myself in some questionable locations when working on running engines and was very lucky to have all my extremities twice !!!

One is very lucky to escape one time let alone twice, so I now might still think about it, but just shake my head and say to myself.

I'm Not Going There Again.

Rich.

Following up on my previous posts, I just picked up my unit from my local Freightlner shop after a radiator cleaning. They were extremely helpful. My cost was in excess of $2700 to have the radiator and CAC pulled out and cleaned. Both were heavily blocked on their inner, opposing, unable to see, surfaces. Unfortunately, this resulted after following much cleaning advice over the years, using the simple green and water method, lengthening the crankcase breather, etc. My technique may not have been aggressive enough. Incidentally, most warn against pressure washing the radiator/CAC, but I routinely used pressure, albeit from a distance of 3-4 feet away. In discussing this with the Freightliner technician, he said they routinely do use pressure washing on diesel radiators, full pressure, and from as close as 6-8" away, simply being judicious to keep the wand @ 90 degrees perpendicular t the fins. I am searching for alternative preventative cleaning steps, given my experiences.

Does anyone have experience with stronger degreasers, like Envirogreen extreme, or Purple Power, or Air Conditioner coil cleaners?? Many products state they are safe on metals, and biodegradable. I am aware that some products can be harmful to aluminum radiator fins.

Searching for safe solutions.................

John

John whatever you use just remember if you have a rear radiator coach use the engine fan to help with getting the soap to penetrate into the CAC and Radiator and let it soak for a while, I have always waited at least 15 minutes then flush using the fan to help.