larhode

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

I have a friend that has a company that makes magnetic oil drain plugs for cars and motorcycle engines. These magnets aren't normal magnets but really really strong ones. They are also designed to work under high temperatures. Something I didn't know, but normal magnets lose up to half their "pull" when exposed to high temps. Anyway, I asked if he could make one for my Cummins ISL 400 engine and he said he could. It attracts fine metal fragments that circulate in the engine. I assumed the oil filter would strain them out, but the particles he showed me on a drain plug are apparently so fine, they will pass thru a normal oil filter. He also has these little super duper magnets he places on the outside of an oil filter. He cut one in half after use and you could see a mound of metallic powder gunk clinging to the side of the filter where the magnets were placed. These magnets are so strong, he did a demonstration, he put one on the table, them put a fork about a foot away on the table, the fork went flying across the table and latched on to the magnet!

Do you think this would be a good idea to put one on a diesel engine or are diesel's not affected by metallic fragments as much as a gas engine? I was going to give him the specs for my drain plug and have him make one for my engine and maybe try the magnets on the oil filter too, but thought I'd check here to see what others thought. I don't want to mess up my engine just because something sounds like a good idea. Could such strong magnets interfere with the electronic in the engine??

All machinery is affected by what is circulating in the lubrication system so anything you can remove is for the better. If you have ever sent in your oil to an oil lab to be analyzed you would be surprised at what types of material they will find circulating in there. The Oil Analysis will help you keep track of your equipment wear rates and tell you what is happening in your engine or transmission by the wear particles it picks up in the test.

Bottom line, I would do it without reservation. Allison is a believer in that the Allison 1000 series comes from the factory with a magnet positioned on the oil filter. An oil change requires you to remove the magnet from the old filter and reinstall it on the new filter. You would be surprised how many magnets are thrown away with the old oil filter because of people not knowing to remove and replace.

I have been using a strong magnet on the oil filter for about 7 years. Its so strong its almost impossible to remove. You have to slide it off. I have put 115,000 miles so far. I can't remember the manufacturer but I got it at a trade show.

I have a friend that has a company that makes magnetic oil drain plugs for cars and motorcycle engines. These magnets aren't normal magnets but really really strong ones. They are also designed to work under high temperatures. Something I didn't know, but normal magnets lose up to half their "pull" when exposed to high temps. Anyway, I asked if he could make one for my Cummins ISL 400 engine and he said he could. It attracts fine metal fragments that circulate in the engine. I assumed the oil filter would strain them out, but the particles he showed me on a drain plug are apparently so fine, they will pass thru a normal oil filter. He also has these little super duper magnets he places on the outside of an oil filter. He cut one in half after use and you could see a mound of metallic powder gunk clinging to the side of the filter where the magnets were placed. These magnets are so strong, he did a demonstration, he put one on the table, them put a fork about a foot away on the table, the fork went flying across the table and latched on to the magnet!

Do you think this would be a good idea to put one on a diesel engine or are diesel's not affected by metallic fragments as much as a gas engine? I was going to give him the specs for my drain plug and have him make one for my engine and maybe try the magnets on the oil filter too, but thought I'd check here to see what others thought. I don't want to mess up my engine just because something sounds like a good idea. Could such strong magnets interfere with the electronic in the engine??

Are you sure there isn't one on the drain plug now?? Our "B" engine has one and it's an '03.. I would have thought that all newer engines would have one too..

Yes it would be good to have one if there isn't one now..

Mike M..