ronmonson

Air Suspension Issues

I just purchased a 2006 Monaco Cayman with 6500 miles. I took it on our first trip and it was a driving nightmare on concrete roads with 'potholes' etc. When I hit bad places, it literally hit so hard and solid that the DVD player in the upper storage cabinet would bounce up and down so bad it would shift and fall back into the cabinet. This kind of HARD hitting ride occurred on all the 'potholes'.

The other related issue is that I don't get any air release and lowering of the coach when I press the 'Air Dump' switch.

So, I think I have a problem. Anyone have any observations or suggestions

Ron

Ron,

Two important threads for you:

http://community.fmca.com/topic/570-serious-problem-on-some-monaco-holiday-rambler-safari-chassis/page__p__4026__hl__rr4r__fromsearch__1#entry4026

http://community.fmca.com/topic/2462-ride-enhancement-kit-for-rr4r-chassis/page__p__12519__hl__rr4r__fromsearch__1#entry12519

We also need to start with the basics-- what tire pressure are you carrying, and is it based on your tire manufacturer's recommendation for your actual weight?

Brett

Thanks for the 'threads'. I had seen them earlier and they are possible issues. I will investigate the arm issue.

I run 100 psi, on what I believe is the mfg suggested pressure.

I seem to have the greatest issues with the front end, not the rear.

Ron

Ron, Welcome to the Forum.

I have a 2002 Dynasty with tag axle. My Mfg. tag indicates that I should have 90 psi front and 95 psi in the rear. Mine may be lower due to the tag axle. But I do get a very smooth ride.

As for you not being able to dump, I had the same problem with my Windsor. My RV tech concluded that I needed to replace both solenoid valves. I bought the valves and when I removed to old valves if found that both were stopped up with dirt dobber nest. I cleaned the outlet and wala I was able to dump my air. I then put small air filter on the valves to prevent future problems. Oh I did return the $85.00 valves. From you drivers seat can you raise your coach? If not then it might be that your air bags are full and not being able to dump gives you a hard ride. These are just thoughts, but an RV tech could help. :huh:

Guest Wayne77590

I don't have a Monaco, but mainly the hydraulics on most of the MH's are similar. The only true way to check if your air suspension system is inflating properly is to measure ride height. My manual tells me how to do it, but I would let a professional adjust if if it were out of spec. One time, I took it out of the driveway and I can tell you if felt like I was in a go-cart. I could not go over 10 mph without bone jarring consequences. Somehow, the hydraulic jack system retraction did not trigger the sensor to inflate the airbags. Solution was to fully extend the jacks and retract them again. Since then I have never had that same problem. You may be experiencing any of the previous post symptoms, or this symptom.

Good luck.

I have an 07 Monaco Cayman...the first trip we took the coach was very hard to handle and it was a very hard ride. Took it back to the dealer who said everything was fine. Finally took it to a truck shop and they discoverd the one trailing arm was broken. Upon further investigation we discovered that there was a recall on this. Once everything was fixed, the coach handled much better.

I have an 07 Monaco Cayman...the first trip we took the coach was very hard to handle and it was a very hard ride. Took it back to the dealer who said everything was fine. Finally took it to a truck shop and they discovered the one trailing arm was broken. Upon further investigation we discovered that there was a recall on this. Once everything was fixed, the coach handled much better.

You might verify that you have the NEW DESIGN trailing arms. Monaco replace a lot of the faulty trailing arms with the same faulty design. If you have the old design, they need to be replaced with the new design which are much stronger. The old design replacements broke just as did the originals.

I have an 07 Monaco Cayman...the first trip we took the coach was very hard to handle and it was a very hard ride. Took it back to the dealer who said everything was fine. Finally took it to a truck shop and they discovered the one trailing arm was broken. Upon further investigation we discovered that there was a recall on this. Once everything was fixed, the coach handled much better.

Did Monaco honor the 'Recall' on the trailing arms and replace them or did you have it done at a local shop at your expense?

Ron

Ron...it actually went through our warranty company. The dealer kept insisting that nothing was wrong until the truck mechanic got on the phone. ;)

Brett...I think it was a different design but will share the info with my hubby-he was in the shop when it was repaired.

safe travels!

My understanding is that any of the replacements by the "original" Monaco were the weak design.

Andy by Source Engineering or the "new" Monaco/Navistar were acceptable.

If in doubt, take a photo and send it to either Source Engineering or Monaco/Navistar to verify.

Brett