ronmonson

Million Dollar Hwy in Colorado

Question

We are planning a trip to Utah and other places in the area. Has anyone driven Hwy 550, the Million Dollar highway? Is is dangerous in a motorcoach? The road looks like it could be very curvey and no guard rails? Are there camping sites between Durango and Grand Junction? How long is the drive, assuming it is as curvey as it looks? Is there an easy way to visit Telluride from Hwy 550?

13 answers to this question

We are planning a trip to Utah and other places in the area. Has anyone driven Hwy 550, the Million Dollar highway? Is is dangerous in a motorcoach? The road looks like it could be very curvey and no guard rails? Are there camping sites between Durango and Grand Junction? How long is the drive, assuming it is as curvey as it looks? Is there an easy way to visit Telluride from Hwy 550?

We drove 550 from Durango to Montrose in our 40 footer towing our Grand Cherokee two summers ago with no problems. Just take your time and keep your eyes on the road. Do not let people behind you push you. Pull over and let the speedballs pass you when possible. It is verrry curvy. There are campgrounds in Silverton, Ouray, and Montrose. it took us about 4-5 hours to Montrose, I think, about 150 miles. Montrose to Grand Junction is another 60 - 80 miles. I don't know about getting easily to Telluride from 550. We drove a 4x4 Jeep trail from 550 to there the last time we did it. 550 is a spectular drive. Pull over often to admire the views. DW loved it. :)

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for....justification to drive it!!!! It looks like it would be a REAL eyecatcher, not to mention breathtaking (for my wife)!

Ron, I'm headed in that direction In September. If you go before then, please give a report here on the forum about your experience. Sounds like it would be worth a side trip.

Ward

Ron, I'm headed in that direction In September. If you go before then, please give a report here on the forum about your experience. Sounds like it would be worth a side trip.

Ward

We are currently set up to leave on Sept 6.....so we will be doing the Million Dollar Hwy on or about Sept 27. I don't think the 'winter weather' will be an issue, but it is getting late in the season!

A re-post of my response to the same question on another thread:

I am interested in who may have driven Hwy 550 from Durango to Grand Junction....the Million Dollar Hwy.

It looks like it may be difficult with a motorcoach?

Ron,

That is a very difficult question to answer. Can your coach, with an experienced mountain driver do the road safely-- yes. But, that means you are really comfortable with use of your Allison transmission, engine brake and can "feel" what you need to do next based on changes in grade.

I would sure not recommend this to a first-time/inexperienced mountain driver! It would be like starting out in graduate school instead of kindergarten. Sure, many can do well in graduate school, but not if that is where they start.

We just drove Highway 7 in our coach/toad from Hot Springs to Harrison, AR-- a great motorcycle route with lots of 7% grade/windy road. Only used the service brakes a couple of times the whole day. But used the up and down arrows on the Allison and the exhaust brake a lot. The owner of the CG just south of Harrison said they see a lot of RV's come by/stop with crystallized brakes that can be smelled as they pull in. Very expensive and very dangerous.

Brett

Brett; excellent points! I have driven our Fifth Wheel with a Chevy 3500 DuraMax and 5 speed Allison on some 8% and did use the transmission a lot. The Chevy unfortunately didn't have Exhaust Braking. I had control of the decent with the transmission. I also tried the cruise control and it worked well on some of the hills on the Parkway in the Shenandoah Valley.

Do you know what the grades are on Hwy 550?

A re-post of my response to the same question on another thread:

I am interested in who may have driven Hwy 550 from Durango to Grand Junction....the Million Dollar Hwy.

It looks like it may be difficult with a motorcoach?

Ron,

That is a very difficult question to answer. Can your coach, with an experienced mountain driver do the road safely-- yes. But, that means you are really comfortable with use of your Allison transmission, engine brake and can "feel" what you need to do next based on changes in grade.

I would sure not recommend this to a first-time/inexperienced mountain driver! It would be like starting out in graduate school instead of kindergarten. Sure, many can do well in graduate school, but not if that is where they start.

We just drove Highway 7 in our coach/toad from Hot Springs to Harrison, AR-- a great motorcycle route with lots of 7% grade/windy road. Only used the service brakes a couple of times the whole day. But used the up and down arrows on the Allison and the exhaust brake a lot. The owner of the CG just south of Harrison said they see a lot of RV's come by/stop with crystallized brakes that can be smelled as they pull in. Very expensive and very dangerous.

Brett

Brett, Hwy 7 in AR is one of the most beautiful in AR. One really nice thing is that you can check on your toad just by looking out the side window and not the mirror. Isn't Jasper a net little town? You are making me want to take the drive.

I have driven that road a lot of times in the last 40 years - in a car or pickup truck. We lived in Grand Junction CO for 12 years and have been coming back to visit family for the last eight full timing years.

I have seen RVs on the road, not a lot but some.

Although I have done a lot of mountain driving with my motor homes I would not drive that road in one.

Could I do it? Sure, but I would not enjoy it. There are 5 mph switch backs, the road is narrow, there are no guard rails.

I would rather take a different route.

I have driven that road a lot of times in the last 40 years - in a car or pickup truck. We lived in Grand Junction CO for 12 years and have been coming back to visit family for the last eight full timing years.

I have seen RV Y on the road, not a lot but some.

Although I have done a lot of mountain driving with my motor homes I would not drive that road in one.

Could I do it? Sure, but I would not enjoy it. There are 5 mph switch backs, the road is narrow, there are no guard rails.

I would rather take a different route.

WOW !! You have the most experience to date on the road and from the vantage point of an experienced RVer. I will reconsider driving it in the RV. The problem is how do I get to Grand Junction or Denver without driving it?

Mmmm, I think 550 will be left to those braver than I. Perhaps we will park the coach and go by toad. When we leave home, we start out on a Mountain Advisory road and are accustomed to driving in the mountains. That is the Appalachian Mountains which are the smaller of the US mountain ranges. We've driven through the Rockies but not on roads like the Million Dollar Road. It truly is more important to enjoy the trip not to say I've been there.

Ward

Have driven this road before.

It has a lot of view spots and it is a good road I towed over it with my stacker trailer 75'.

Just take your time and enjoy.

WOW !! You have the most experience to date on the road and from the vantage point of an experienced RVer. I will reconsider driving it in the RV. The problem is how do I get to Grand Junction or Denver without driving it?

Where are you coming from?

Check out the link below. I follow a blog of a couple traveling the country and they just drove 550 to Silverton. They were glad they didn't take their coach. There is a picture of the highway on this linked page.

Have a safe trip.

Don

http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/million-dollar-views-mines-brothels-silverton-co/