luv2trav

Jacks Are Up But Alarm Keeps Going Off

We have an 07 Monaco Cayman. We have been having a problem with the jacks down alarm. This happened as we were driving down the interstate a couple of years ago. The jacks were up but the alarm kept sounding. The dealer said that everything was fine and we didn't have any further problem until now. We retract the jacks and visually they seem to be all the way up. As soon as we put the coach into drive the alarm starts going off. It is quite nerve wracking. Anybody have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

What brand and model of jacks to you have?

Exactly what steps do you follow to stow them?

And have you confirmed visually that all the jacks are indeed fully stowed (no shiny piston showing)?

The reason I ask, the HWH jacks on our coach will do that if I turn them off after the jacks initially come up and the alarm goes off vs the correct way of letting the system turn itself off. Letting it turn itself off allows a few minutes for all the extra fluid in those long lines to the back jacks to bleed back into the reservoir. Turning it off with the switch can trap extra fluid in the lines causing the alarm to trigger.

Brett

My previous MH - a 2007 Winn. Voyage 35A had the Quikee Best Level system/jacks and did that intermittently.... all worked right and fluid was fine.. cleaned and dry lubed the jacks but still did it every now and then... was not an issue but concerning/annoying.. did not seem to be related to temp / weather, etc.. seemed like when I planned to take it in for dealers analysis, it would not happen for days/weeks again...

A problem with any Monaco jacks is that the level of hydraulic fluid in the reservoir gets low and the alarm goes off. Not really a big problem, as there is always a very slight leakage every time the jacks are extended. Just locate the reservoir and top off with hydraulic jack fluid available at almost any auto supple store. The level does not have to drop much to cause the alarm, on mine only a cup or two.

Near the top of the fluid reservoir, there is a fluid level switch.The fluid level must touch that switch before the jacks down light will go off.My system uses dexron auto trans fluid. Your owners manual will specify what type of fluid your system uses. Also on my system that fluid level switch must be screwed out to fill the reservoir.It's a small hole without much room around it, so I use an eight ounce syringe with a six inch piece of flexible hose attached to the needle end. At least twice a year, I have to add 4-8 ounces of fluid.

A problem with any Monaco jacks is that the level of hydraulic fluid in the reservoir gets low and the alarm goes off. Not really a big problem, as there is always a very slight leakage every time the jacks are extended. Just locate the reservoir and top off with hydraulic jack fluid available at almost any auto supple store. The level does not have to drop much to cause the alarm, on mine only a cup or two.

Before you add hydraulic jack oil check with yout mfg. Most all use Dextron Automatinc Transmission Fluid. Please do not add anything untill you check with the Mfg. :o

Guest Wayne77590

You never did state what type of jacks and manufacturer.

I have the same problem with my Kwikee hydraulic leveling system.

Look under the coach when they are retracted. You should not see bright silver. Kwikee recommends wiping the piston down with Silicone. They also state in big bold print to NOT use WD-40 as it will ruin the seals.

If the fluid is not the problem, it could be pump pressure. It needs to be between 1500-1800 PSI on the Kwikee. Check your manual for your pump pressures, but make sure you let a qualified technician perform that operations. There is a pressure adjustment, but it must be within specifications.

The Kwikee system has a reed switch on the top of each jack. If it is bad it will also cause the "jacks down" alarm to sound.

On the back of the Kwikee control board there is a 4 pin plug. If you unplug it, once your jacks are up, it will stop the alarm bell and light from being on. Mine used to be intermittent, but just in this past week it has been every time we retract. I'll just pull the plug until I can put it in the shop near the house.

As stated, all the above is for the Kwikee system. Listing your leveling system may bring forth some expertise in that system. I'm not an expert on the Kwikee, but I have been trouble shooting with Power Gear and Winnebago for over a week, and the above is what has been discussed.

Good luck.

p.s., if it is a Kwikee system, and has the reed switch, it is located on the to of each jack - according to Power Gear - and when the jacks are retracted it should be shorted to ground.

Edited: I just found out that the reed switches are "in series." Check each one individually according to an email I received.

Edited by Wayne77590

Guest Wayne77590

Check the manual for your specific jacks. If you don't have the manual, call the factory or an authorized service center for the proper fluid.

Mine did the same, when I would hit a good bump it would go off.

Have it in the shop in Columbus now. They called the tech. at Kwikee. He said if not low on fluid look at the reed switches BUT there are 4 so having all 4 replaced. Hopeing that takes care of it. :huh:

I had the same issue. Each time I used the hydraulic actuated slide (which uses the RVA jack pump via a separate slide manifold), and started driving I got the low level alarm. The problem was a small leak in one of two hydraulic hoses connected to the slide's ram. The one hose was defective from manufacture and allowed excess fluid to drain from the reservoir. I replaced both hoses and never an issue again.

The post "...there is always a very slight leakage every time the jacks are extended..." means you have an abnormal condition. There should be no leaks anywhere in a properly maintained hydraulic system. This is particularly true in dual port rams (pressure in, pressure out) because the leak will allow the line at static pressure to bleed down to atmosphere or some lesser pressure than desired. This very condition allowed my slide to push out 1 to 4 inches while driving, depending on amount of leakage, speed, tightness of turns, etc. Again all due to the defective hose.

I agree many brands of RV jack systems use a single port ram to extend, and springs to retract the ram. But still the rams and all fittings should be dry on the surface. Leakage is not acceptable.

Chuck

I had this same problem on my Allegro Bay. When the jacks were retracted, sometimes the alarm would not turn off. At first, I would use a 5' long 2x2 to pry up on the jack and the alarm would turn off. I isolated the problem to the left front jack. Sometimes I would be driving and the "Jacks Down" alarm would come on. Again, prying up on the left front jack, after pulling to the shoulder of the road, would

cause the alarm to go off.

After doing this a few times, I crawled under the MH and checked the left front jack and found that there was a "Limit Switch" that turned off the alarm when the jack reached the "Up" position. Further, there was an "adjustment" for the switch. I made an adjustment that activated the switch approximately 1/16th sooner and that solved the problem permanently. Apparently, the switch was set, at the factory, right on the edge of the proper operating position and sometimes the jack shaft would bottom out just before the switch was activated. My Allegro Bay is going on thirteen and I've not had any further problem with that jack.

My engine stallled out on me while driving. When the mobile tech turned on the key

all the lights on the jacks control started flashing. What might the problem be.

could this problem be cause for the engine to stall. Also we got the engine started

but would not move forward as if the brakes were on.

Archambeault,

Please tell us what coach/chassis you have.

But clearly a battery voltage issue (bad battery, bad alternator, bad connection) could both cause "unusual" reactions from electrical components and cause and electronically controlled engine to not run/run poorly.

So, I would start by checking the batteries and electrical connections. Then, put a voltmeter on it at the dash and see what you get when the symptoms occur.

On my 1997 Safari with RIVA system (3 point) I would get the ding ding ding whenever the fluid level (Dextron 3) would get low.

Had the RV Tech's check it out last time I was in for service. Tech said that the right rear manual value was not snugged shut and was probably the culprit. He snugged it up and so far no dinging but time will tell.

Hello Wolfe10

Thank you for a prompt reply.

Regarding the levelers problem.

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Discovery, 39J, Allison, Freightliner chassis.

I am hard of hearing and wife complained about a shrill whistle.

Shorty after that the engine died.

It started up again after a tech injected starter fluid into the engine.

Ran it at 1500 rpm for several minutes and was advised air in the fuel lines.

the levelers light came on, all of them and began to flash.

They went off after a short time.

With the engine now running I put it in gear, with the engine running and it felt like the brakes were on.

Coach will need to be towed to shop in the AM.

IF !! The leveler fluid is low...Could I add so that it will move.

Can a mobile mechanic bypass the signal from the levelers if they are responsible

for locking down the drive unit.

This happened to me once with Power Gear jacks. It turned out that I need to add hydraulic fluid.

The sensor that senses that the jacks are down does so based on the reservoir re-filling with fluid when you retract. I was retracted but there was just a tiny amount of fluid that needed to be added to tell the sensor that the reservoir was refilled and that the jacks were retracted.

I added the fluid and that was about 4 years ago.

No problem since.

Hi rmlouie, welcome to FMCA!

Sent you a PM to tell you how to contact the person who posted the information you are looking for directly.

The group page has some nice features for the members.

Rich.

Just in case anyone has an HWH 310 or 610 leveling system, the system has to go thru the complete store routine and the control shut off on its own. If the store routine is interrupted by turning off the control or ignition switch, the jack cylinders may drop due to expansion of the fluid in the system. Allowing it to store and shut off on its own should prevent the issue in this case.

I have a 2006 Allegro Bay 34 XB with Atwood Jacks. I think i may have a simalar issue to Briarhopper.

When I go to lower my jacks, I get a lot of flashing lights and no action. If I go through the all retract first, even though I did it 400 miles previously, the jacks come up just a inch or two, lock and are ready to extend.

I suspect that during travel they may inch down just enough to keep it from working on the first try.

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to FMCA !

Could you post the model and make of your jacks for the group.

I did a little research and found that you coach has Atwood automatic electric jack system, is this correct ?

This is a link to their brochure covering replacement parts.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/chassis-components/atwood-leveling-components-brochure.asp

Is your coach on a Ford or Workhorse Chassis?

Rich.