TONYLACEY

Michelin Tire Program

Wayne, I will look into the tax issue. It sounds to me like Oklahoma may not have local and state taxes.

The way that the program is currently set up, the tax rate is that of the Bill To/Ship To, which is Cincinnati Ohio. I do have to option to set up multiple Ship To locations, which would change the tax rate based on where the transaction originates.

I will research this and follow up. This could be the missing piece of the program that could increase the savings all the more, especially in a situation such as yours, Thank You for the information.

And FYI: In order for me to set up additional Ship To locations, I will need a local chapter that is registered with the secretary of state (I can set one up for each state if need be) and operates as a compliant chapter of FMCA.

Guest Wayne77590

I'm still waiting for Michelin NA to credit my CC back when I asked to cancel my involvement in the FMCA Program. I'm still out 1k in money until the credit comes through. Most likely my savings would have been better had not all of the taxes that were not supposed to be there - well just not been there. Oh Well, it's only money, right.

Trust me. There is more heartburn over the many phone calls, emails, and follow-ups that probably cost more money in time that the saving would have been.

Glad the tax situation came to light. Most likely will help future members.

Good Morning,

Sorry for the delay, The price for the 295/80R22.5 MSPN (76807) is $602.39 Each plus Federal Excise Tax of $40.92 each. As for total out the door it depends on the servicing dealer as most of the service is (PQL) price quoted locally. I hope that this helps. If you need further assistance please let me know.

Respectfully,

Tony Lacey

Guest Wayne77590

I'm all settled up. I stayed with the local dealer pricing as I stated earlier. Michelin credited back what they had taken out. Maybe once the tax item is settled it will be a really sweet deal.

Thanks for the help Tony.

Tony could you give me a quote on a set of 6 XZA3+Evertread 275/80R22.5 load range H tires. Also, about a month ago you mentioned a 1 800 Tire 911 program. Could you tell us more?

I just tried to call Tony Lacey at TurboTruckCenters and they told me he left their employ as of today? Anyone know what goes? If he is really gone, they have lost a good man.

Dear Friends,

I have Left Turbo Truck Center effective today, I have new contact information and will be here to help you at need. Please contact me via email @ davidlacey82@gmail.com or on my new cell # @ 770-540-4756. Please let me know if you need ANYTHING!

Tony Lacey

Does anyone know if the Michelin program lives or dies with Tony Lacey? I emailed him a couple days ago and have received no answer as of Monday evening.

FMCA's Tire Connection member benefit continues, as described here:

Tire Connection -- Michelin Advantage Program

Tony worked at a Michelin dealership, not directly for Michelin. FMCA signed up for the program through the dealership he worked at.

FMCA's membership in the Advantage Program is directly with Michelin. Therefore, the program is still active.

I used the FMCA Michelin Tire Advantage Program while at the rally in Madison, WI. They provided me the fleet tire cost sheet and a local Michelin dealer did the install.

The way it worked, I simply went online and found a Michelin dealer. I called the dealer and told them I was ordering a set of eight (08) 315/80R22.5 XZA1 tires using the program. Once the tires arrived, I drove to the dealer and had them mounted. The dealer charged his cost for removing old tires, mounting and balancing new tires; this went on one receipt. The dealer also made out a separate receipt to go to the FMCA for the actual tire purchase and it did not have a total cost on it. On this second receipt, I provided my FMCA membership number and an email address. About a week later the FMCA emailed me a copy of the completed invoice showing the amount charged for the tires along with the FET (also shown on the fleet tire cost sheet). The amount that came back on the second receipt was the exact amount quoted on the fleet tire cost sheet.

NOTE 1: My old tires were Michelin 295/80R22.5 load range H. My new tires are Michelin 315/80R22.5 load range L. The reason I upgraded to a larger and better load range tire was that the fleet cost was about $80 per tire cheaper for the 315s over the fleet cost of the 295s. I first called both Newmar and Spartan to verify my coach and rims would handle the 315s before the purchase/install. I strongly suggest others also look carefully at prices to see if you might be able to save additional money by upgrading tires. I found this to be a strange phenomenon in pricing and others might find the same thing applies to their rig too. My new fleet priced tires are about $250 per tire cheaper than I could find on my own and that doesn't even count the upgrade in size/load range. I think this is the best FMCA benefit going right now and strongly recommend this program to all others.

NOTE 2: If you want to get the absolute most bang for the buck, and you will be traveling through a "no sales tax state" such as MT, that would be the place to buy and install your tires. WI charged me a 5% sales tax and when you add that to a major purchase, it can add up quickly. Just something to consider!

Got four (drive) new XZA2 275/75/R22.5 Michelins on my 2007 Fleetwood Providence yesterday at TCI Loveland, CO. Got my FMCA email today. I saved right at $100 on each tire. Dealer never asked me if I wanted the new tires balanced. I will insist on the steers when that time comes. Good program. :)

Got four (drive) new XZA2 275/75/R22.5 Michelins on my 2007 Fleetwood Providence yesterday at TCI Loveland, CO. Got my FMCA email today. I saved right at $100 on each tire. Dealer never asked me if I wanted the new tires balanced. I will insist on the steers when that time comes. Good program. :)

I agree. And having them balanced ON THE COACH is a big plus. That insures that all rotating masses are in balance, not just the tire and wheel. That 100 pound brake drum/disk as well as the hub could also be out of balance and affect overall "rotating mass" balance.

I used the FMCA Michelin Tire Advantage Program while at the rally in Madison, WI. They provided me the fleet tire cost sheet and a local Michelin dealer did the install.

The way it worked, I simply went online and found a Michelin dealer. I called the dealer and told them I was ordering a set of eight (08) 315/80R22.5 XZA1 tires using the program. Once the tires arrived, I drove to the dealer and had them mounted. The dealer charged his cost for removing old tires, mounting and balancing new tires; this went on one receipt. The dealer also made out a separate receipt to go to the FMCA for the actual tire purchase and it did not have a total cost on it. On this second receipt, I provided my FMCA membership number and an email address. About a week later the FMCA emailed me a copy of the completed invoice showing the amount charged for the tires along with the FET (also shown on the fleet tire cost sheet). The amount that came back on the second receipt was the exact amount quoted on the fleet tire cost sheet.

NOTE 1: My old tires were Michelin 295/80R22.5 load range H. My new tires are Michelin 315/80R22.5 load range L. The reason I upgraded to a larger and better load range tire was that the fleet cost was about $80 per tire cheaper for the 315s over the fleet cost of the 295s. I first called both Newmar and Spartan to verify my coach and rims would handle the 315s before the purchase/install. I strongly suggest others also look carefully at prices to see if you might be able to save additional money by upgrading tires. I found this to be a strange phenomenon in pricing and others might find the same thing applies to their rig too. My new fleet priced tires are about $250 per tire cheaper than I could find on my own and that doesn't even count the upgrade in size/load range. I think this is the best FMCA benefit going right now and strongly recommend this program to all others.

NOTE 2: If you want to get the absolute most bang for the buck, and you will be traveling through a "no sales tax state" such as MT, that would be the place to buy and install your tires. WI charged me a 5% sales tax and when you add that to a major purchase, it can add up quickly. Just something to consider!

Are you sure the wheels are OK?

According to Michelin data

http://www.michelinr...tion-tables.jsp

their XZA2 295/80R22.5 LRH tires are rated 7830# @ 120psi single and 6940# @ 120psi dual for each tire

and

their XZA2 315/80R22.5 LRL is rated at 9090# # @ 130 psi single and 8270# @ 130 psi dual for each tire.

You didn't mention the brand wheel but if you have Accuride I am surprised that you were given 9.00" "Heavy Load" rims from Newmar/Spartan as that is what would be required to carry the 9090# at 130 psi.

If you have Alcoa I wonder if you can provide the wheel part number as according to Alcoa their 22.5x8.25 wheel is rated for 8,050# max.

http://www.accuridew...om/hubpilot.pdf

http://www.alcoa.com...3901&cat_id=918

Also Michelin specifies 13.8 vs 13.2 minimum dual spacing. I think the Accuride wheels deliver 14.1 spacing but the Alcoa seems to be 13.32 which is OK for the 295 but not for the 315. Note its been a while since I figured dual tire wheel offset so I could be off on this dimension.

Given the general level of "lowest cost part" mentality in the RV industry I would be very surprised if even Newmar would spend the extra bucks to provide the heavier wheel as OE, when your coach didn't need the increased inflation or capacity to meet DOT placard requirements.

Would really like to see part numbers and data so I can learn where I might be wrong.

I have had the XZE on our Trek for about three years and 30,000 miles and really like them. The XZE is used by many trucks so they are available anywhere, Being the XRV are RV oriented they are not as readily available.

I'm from Canada. Does the FMCA Michelin Advantage Program apply to us as well?

FMCA is hopeful that a similar program can be arranged with Michelin dealers in Canada. But currently, the FMCA Michelin Advantage Program is available at Michelin dealers within the United States only.

New Information for Don and possibly others.

This week while at the Gypsy Journal Rally in Celina, OH I spoke with an RV owner who had their Extended Warranty canceled. They were having warranty work done but the adjuster who inspected the problem took a picture of their tires and of the RV placard then informed the owner that their policy was canceled because they had changed tire size.

I’m not saying this is reasonable or that it will happen to others but in my opinion if one company uses this as an excuse to not cover some repairs others might also.

People might want to take a close look at their policy before making a tire size change.

New Information for Don and possibly others.

This week while at the Gypsy Journal Rally in Celina, OH I spoke with an RV owner who had their Extended Warranty canceled. They were having warranty work done but the adjuster who inspected the problem took a picture of their tires and of the RV placard then informed the owner that their policy was canceled because they had changed tire size.

I’m not saying this is reasonable or that it will happen to others but in my opinion if one company uses this as an excuse to not cover some repairs others might also.

People might want to take a close look at their policy before making a tire size change.

Roger,

That does make sense only if they went to a smaller/lower load capacity tire that would put the tires at a high-risk for blowout OR such an oversize that other mechanical components would be adversely affected (gear ratio materially affected, inadequate dual spacing, interference with other front suspension components, etc.).

If there is any way for you to follow up on this, would sure be of interest. Determine if the tires posed any of the issues I mention (or others you feel would warrant their decision). Also, the name of adjuster or company so they can be contacted for their reasoning or if they were just taking advantage of a loophole to keep from honoring the warranty.

Thanks.

Brett

Brett

I only have limited information as I was not directly involved. The best I could discover was it was definately a larger tire. The Adjuster used that as the excuse that since the mileage was no longer accurate and the warranty was based on miles, the change voided the warranty. The Owner said they tried to argue with the adjuster and said they would accept a couple % decrease in the warranty life but according to the owner the adjuster was adamant.

The current repair estimate was large enough that the Ins co would not approve the repair until the adjuster viewed the RV so it obviously was not a small claim. It appears the policy cancelation definitely worked to the insurance company benefit.

In the brief discussion with the owner the conclusion we came to was that the insurance co was just looking for an excuse to avoid paying for repairs. The owner did say they were told they would get got a partial refund of their payments. (payments minus previous claims).

Looks to me the Ins co was looking for a loop hole.

My advice is to get something in writing from your insurance co if you are considering changing tire size. Nothing saying they have to be logical on their exclusions.

Sorry I can't provide more details.