Sign in to follow this  
KDRoberts

Hello Fellow FMCA Members

Not new to the site {we were reading for months on end here}, but have never officially introduced me/us & thought I would do so.

George & Kellie Roberts from the DFW metro area. We began our intensive research into different coaches some time ago after determining that what we really "wanted to be when we grew up" were fulltimers biggrin.gif

So, we set about it -- and are currently in the homestretch for our intended launch date of September 1st. We had multiple auctions to sell everything we owned that wasn't being stored, put our house on the market in June {and currently have a contract with an intended closing date of 8/10} and intend to point this beautiful beast to the East the day after George retires.

We had narrowed our coach choices down to 3 by early this year, and feel very fortunate to have come to an agreeable price with the PO on our PT40 Wanderlodge that was sitting on consignment locally in our area. After having a BB expert out to do a full PDI - we have now been living in her fulltime, albeit close to the house we're selling, since April 15th of this year & we are having a ball.

We are learning something new everyday. We have had our first fancy air toilet 'experience' that ran us out of the coach until we could ask the right person what was wrong LOL!; bought our first set of new tires {that left a mark .. haha}; learned how to drive this beautiful beast utilizing the Texas Motor Speedway parking lots while we are staying near here; taken our first 2 short shakedown runs to OK & SE Texas which went amazingly smooth for us noobs. Literally noobs, we had never camped .. other than in a car or a horse trailer at a rodeo in years long ago biggrin.gif

Big step for us, but thankfully so many of you have gone before us, or are joining us with the purchase of your first RV so we don't feel alone in our trials & tribulations. We hope to continue our education & making friends through the FMCA as well.

A picture of George & I on The Big Day.

IMG_6864.jpg

And one from the last stop on our SE Texas trip to visit friends a week ago.

IMG_20110716_131948.jpg

You are doing what we are contemplating. Going fulltime that is. We are relative newbies too, with owing a motorhome for the past 4 years. We are loving every minute we can spend in it and long for the days when we are not restricted to 4 weeks holidays per year. We wish you good luck & happy travels. Keep us posted as to how you are enjoying your adventure.

Welcome to the Forum Kellie and George!

If you haven't discovered the Blog section of the website, take a look. That is the place for posting your continuing story which would be very welcome. It is always fun to see how people discover the freedom of living full time in a motor home! You have many great adventures down that road. Enjoy!

I bet you meant Shady Creek..? :)

That was a very nice little park, with a really nice manager & maintenance guy. Unfortunately, for us anyhow, running 3 ACs, their "electrical upgrade" during our stay left a bit to be desired. They really worked hard to correct the fact that our EMS was kicking us off our 50amp pedestal {low voltage} regularly while running 3 ACs, but they were also at the mercy of the electrical contractor who kept telling them that we didn't know what we were talking about - that something had to be wrong with our coach instead. After metering everything on our coach & watching their "master" electrician FLUKE the pedestal, it was clear their power was the real issue. Fortunately we were very near the end of our intended stay & chose to make our 1st shakedown run & change parks on our return to the DFW area.

I would still give them another chance one day .. just to see if they realized and/or had their contractor rectify the problem. Good weekly/monthly prices, good folks running it, and would be likely perfect for 30amp.

How did you like Shallow Creek? :huh:

Looks like a great coach. I am going to send you a message later. :)

Hi George and Kellie,

Hope you are well and having a great time. Looks like you have been doing this for all most a year. I plan on doing the same thing in a few years, but have a question for you.

When you sold your home and started to travel full time, how do you renew your driver license and tags for the RV as you would not have a permanent address any more. Well if you have time,send me a reply,

Thanks

Shang.

Guest BillAdams

You do need to create a permanent address. If you sell all of your property there are States that will allow you to become a "resident' without actually living there every single day. SD and TX are likely the most popular but you may want to consider tax consequences before you make any decision. You must "live" somewhere. Where that is when you are a full-timer is completely up to you.

Hello to all,

Nina and I are in our second motorhome. First was a 1994 Fleetwood Bounder, loved it.

Now we are in a 2003 Winnebago 35u, 2 slides.

We travel with our 4 year old Dachshound JJ, he is our pal.

At present we are home , Nina has been ill, but on the mend.

FMCA members and GoodSam. We camp with both and have attended a few rallies and samborees.

Good luck to all, have fun and be safe.