bigdgr

Onan 8000 Generator Blows Breaker On Road

We purchased a 2005 Travel Supreme Envoy DS-04 this spring and have ironed out most of the "kinks" with help from Brett and others.

One problem I can't figure out is why the Onan 8000 diesel generator blows the breaker of the front AC if we use it going down the road. The rear AC will run just fine on the road and the front AC will run for hours while parked but kick the breaker off in 20-25 minutes of highway travel. Any ideas and help will be appreciated. This has me "stumped" big time!

Thanks in advance and let's all pray for cool weather in Madison next week.

Darrell

Darrell,

Let me confirm that it is the front A/C breaker in the coach main 120 VAC breaker panel that is tripping.

What is voltage when this occurs? As voltage goes down, amp draw goes up.

What amp breaker do you have for the front A/C and is it a 13,500 or 15,000 BTU A/C?

With shore power disconnected, generator and inverter off, access the 120 VAC breaker panel and verify that all wires are clean, fully engaged and tight.

Hopefully see you sometime next week in Madison-- Dianne and I arrive on Saturday.

Brett

Brett, It is the breaker in the panel in the rear closet and the AC is a 15000 as is the rear. I'll have to look at the coach tomorrow to see what size breaker and I have no idea about the voltage. It just seems odd that the rear runs with no problems ( same unit, size, etc. Kay and I will arrive in Madison Monday afternoon with our ****-a-poo, Bear. Looking forward to meeting you and thanks again, Darrell

I had a similar problem and ended up replacing one of the A/C's because we couldn't run both on the generator while going down the road. Come to find out, the generator couldn't handle the load for both A/C's.

You might try swapping the two breakers that way if the problem stays on the front there might be something wrong with the ac or wiring, if the problem moves to the rear it might be the breaker is tripping before it should.