jbric008

Buying A Diesel Versus Gas Motorhome

Yea, like Hwy 118, between Alpine, TX and Big Bend National Park, TX.  Yesterday, I was doing 3 to 6 and back for over 60 out of 108 miles...Crazy!  Worst was wrong way banking on corners, just before a 15% hill...:wacko:

Carl 

I went cross country two times with our gas coach, round trip about 6000 miles, no issues climbing the hills, when you saw them ahead, kick out the OD and sink your foot into it 3/4 the way down to wide open throttle to build momentum. I pulled the hill into Flagstaff AZ on I-40 maybe 10-20 mph under the posted speed. My only complaint after 8-10 hours of driving you were really exhausted.

19 minutes ago, jleamont said:

My only complaint after 8-10 hours of driving you were really exhausted.

I'd be complaining about 8-10 hours of driving regardless of the chassis/engine configuration.  As I've gotten older, I drive shorter distances and just enjoy the ride and then relax at a site earlier in the day.  Guess we all do things differently and whatever works for one might not for another. :)    

4 hours ago, CarlAda said:

I'd be complaining about 8-10 hours of driving regardless of the chassis/engine configuration.  As I've gotten older, I drive shorter distances and just enjoy the ride and then relax at a site earlier in the day.  Guess we all do things differently and whatever works for one might not for another. :)    

I am with you,300 miles a day or about 6 hours. I don't have to be in a hurry.

I also wonder if the OP who started this thread back in August 3, 2011 ever got their diesel coach.

Bill 

Carl A and Bill, I don't mind it now, but I'm  on a limited time line when we travel. I also was wondering what the OP bought. 

3 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Carl A and Bill, I don't mind it now, but I'm  on a limited time line when we travel. I also was wondering what the OP bought. 

I know but just wait it is as good as you have heard, to have time to travel.:lol:

Bill

When I was Joes age, a long time ago, I did not care if I drove 300 or 1,000 miles in a day! :P

Now, I'm in the 250-350 mile range and have been known to drive 75/100...depends of how I feel.  Life should not be a hurry up thing.

What in blue blazes are we doing on a five year old post? :rolleyes::wacko:

Carl

A side radiator would be a must for me. Ease of service for belts including a/c compressor accessibility an absolute plus.  The first owner of our Phaeton 03 was doing things on the cheap. Finally figured that out. I am afraid to run our dash air for more than a few minutes. Even though it is ice cold. Servicing or replacing the compressor an expensive job if I use a pro. Understood R-12 equipment well, but  newer ? Not as much. 

Obedb, we only run the dash AC until the rooftops catch up then It goes off. 

R134 system isn't much different from R12, similar components different charge ports. You could pick up on R134 quick if you were familiar with R12.

3 hours ago, obedb said:

A side radiator would be a must for me. Ease of service for belts including a/c compressor accessibility an absolute plus.  The first owner of our Phaeton 03 was doing things on the cheap. Finally figured that out. I am afraid to run our dash air for more than a few minutes. Even though it is ice cold. Servicing or replacing the compressor an expensive job if I use a pro. Understood R-12 equipment well, but  newer ? Not as much. 

I wouldn't worry about running your dash air. Same basic system but different refrigerant. If you worked on the R-12 systems you could work on your R-134 system you just need different gages and the proper refrigerant. I hear of few problems with dash air. They really have gotten better in the last 40 years. So run that dash air and enjoy.

Bill

I thought I wanted a DP as we are looking to upgrade from our 2004  Winnebago brave.  We are very spoiled with lots of kitchen counter space and storage and a huge wardrobe area in our 36' gas RV.  We have driven 2 Dps (one had over 100000 miles and was junk however) and they were so noisey inside.  Yes, it drove very well and rode great, but on a rougher road it sounded like the entire interior was coming apart and it was empty!!  Our loaded coach doesn't sound any worse than the 2009 Journey sounded empty.  Is this normal?  We ran, not walked, away from that deal and with the extra cost of a DP are back to looking for a gasser for the upgrade.  We want to travel to the north east and north west...mountains mountains mountains...my husband has never driven in mountainous terrain, I have.  I don't welcome the idea in a 36-37' gas motorhome.  It's not the slow going upgrade...it's the too fast downgrades that really worry me.  I've seen way too many faded braking results while driving a big rig.  I thought diesel pushers were quiet?

Diesel pushers can be noisy. Like all others they have higher end models and lower end models. In the end you get what you pay for. I drove a Sports Coach a few years ago, it drove a little better than our gas coach, didn't handle any better. Drive a few others, you will see the differences. 

After 50+ years of Class A's, both gas and DP's.  I find the DP to be quiet, safe and a dream to ride in!  DP's will cost more than gassers, but the upside is, it will last longer and ride better.  Just depends on who built it, size of coach, size of engine and how was it taken care of before you!!!

Winnebago of today, is in no way the  same as it was pre 2006!  Same with Tiffin!  If you wan't a good, used DP, 40 foot or less, then look for any pre 2007 Holiday Rambler, Monaco, Safari, Country Coach or Foretravel.  

100,000 miles in a DP is equal to 10,000 in a gas! :)

When I bought the Zanzibar I jumped in feet first, no gasser for me and glad I did. Up grading to the big engine Panther has been a ride of a lifetime. I have spent plenty getting both coaches to my level of expectation, but as a guy having spent years in the restoration business, that is what I do, make it better. Just how much fun can we have, I intend to find out in the next ten years and in the lap of comfort and luxury of my own efforts. Carl, all of those coach manufacturers have built good ones, worth a look in that time frame and reasonably priced today.                   

Thanks! We will keep looking and test driving.  That 2009 Meridian sure did surprise me with all the rattles and inside noise.  I can get the same thing out of our gasser!! Happy Traveling!

Wish you would check back in periodically & let us know how your coming along! :)

We are always available.

12 hours ago, shaneotr said:

Thanks! We will keep looking and test driving.  That 2009 Meridian sure did surprise me with all the rattles and inside noise.  I can get the same thing out of our gasser!! Happy Traveling!

I'd suspect that the noise level will vary depending on the quality of the build and the type of materials used for the walls/framing.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:13 PM, shaneotr said:

Well yes and no as the quality varies greatly as others have said. Just for fun and reference go find a used pre 2007 Holiday Rambler, Monaco, Safari, Country Coach or Foretravel and I will add Newmar Try both the diesel and gas. The newer gas  coaches with the 6 speed may be all you need. As far as I know all the newer gas coaches are Ford V10 powertrains.

Bill