Here is my story. I had been a long time dial up customer. In 2002 AT&T took over my internet account. Since then they have been charging my credit card $15.95/mo. for their service. Well, in 2006 we sold our home and went on the rode full-time. We used only the local campground wifi systems and libraries, Mcdonalds etc. Last month, July 2011 I read on the internet that when you use wifi to connect to the internet you don't need to pay for it.

I contacted AT&T. The phone number on my credit card was my only contact. They didn't know who I was and that they could not locate my account. I got the BBB involved and they were able to get me a phone number and someone contacted me. They said that they checked their records over the past year and found that I was not using the dial up service. They also said that because I did not cancel my service that they can not give me credit for all those years. What they said they would do is give me credit for 6 months back to March 2011 when their policy changed whereby when you cancel you can keep your email address. So I was basically paying to using the email address that I would of cancelled had I known about that. Out of $1,000 they charged me for, they are giving me back $96.00?? I am furious to say the least. Can anyone out there help me get the rest of my money?? Anita Golfis

Guest BillAdams

First, let me say welcome to the FMCA forum and I am very sorry to hear about the large amount of money that you have mistakenly wasted. It seems like you should have gotten an invoice or other notification at some time during this extended period and you must have known that your CC was being charged.

I don't see how you would have any recourse at all and the 6-month refund was a generous customer service offer.

You signed up for a service which you then failed to cancel when you no longer needed it. AT&T certainly had no way of knowing this and maintained your account as originally requested.

I am sure that there is a lawyer somewhere who would love to take this on..... for a price.......How much more money do you care to throw at it.

Anita,

Sorry to say that I don't see any happier ending than the $96 refund AT&T has offered you. In fact, I'm amazed that you got that much money out of AT&T. The problem as I see it isn't AT&T's fault in any way. You signed up for a service, they delivered that service. The problem occurred because you didn't understand fully the technology you were using. You have done a service for anyone else who is in this same situation. If there is anyone else who is in the same situation you were in, they should now realize that such payments were wasted as you were no longer using their dial up service.

Computer services can be quite confusing and I'm sure your mistake is not an uncommon one for those who simply use the service and really aren't interested in the details of how it all works. This case however does argue for taking the time to fully understand any new technology you are using. Friends or relatives who are avid computer/technology users would be a good source to employ in helping one understand the basics of a technology you find confusing. Taking the time to dig a little into how it all works can save you quite a bit of money.

While there are numerous internet wi-fi access points, not all are free. At some locations, Flying J, some campgrounds, some hotels and other purveyors of wi-fi may charge for using their service. If you are patient, you can usually find a free service. We still have to pay for wi-fi in a few cases just because there is no convenient free access available.