bsherryg

Beware Of Van Horn, Texas

The following just happened to a fellow RVer and friend of mine. I am posting this to let others know and to suggest that if you are as angered by this anti-RV ordinance as I am, then please contact the Van Horn, TX Convention and Visitors Bureau to let them know your thoughts.

Brenda Hinojos, Senior Events Coordinator: brenda@vanhorncvb.com

Patricia Golden, Events Coordinator: patriciagolden@vanhorntexas.org

"RV'ers traveling east and west on I-10 in west Texas, take note. You can not, and will be fined, for camping overnight at the truck stops in Van Horn, Texas. I pulled into the truck stop parking area [where he has stayed many times before], right behind Mc Donalds, early this morning for a much needed rest, short nap and breakfast. When I awoke 2 hours later at 7am, there was a ticket taped to my windshield. Violation of City of Van Horn ordinance 12/12.010. Fine of $85 payable by money order only."

Here's the link to the municipal Anti-RV ordinance:

http://library.munic...statename=Texas

In particular notice section B-2 which specifies RVs:

12.12.030 - Definitions.

A. The term "public area" shall mean an outdoor area to which the public has access and includes, but is not limited to, streets, highways, parks, parking lots, alleyways, pedestrian ways, vacant or uninhabited lots or parcels of land, rights-of-way, and the common areas of schools, hospitals, apartment houses, office buildings, service stations, transport facilities, churches and shops.

B. The term "camp" means to use a public area for living accommodation purposes for a period of time in excess of four (4) consecutive hours, for activities such as, but not limited to, the following:

1. Sleeping, or making preparations to sleep, including the laying down of bedding for the purpose of sleeping;

2. Parking of a motor vehicle, motor home, or trailer for the apparent purpose of overnight occupancy;

12.12.040 - Regulations and restrictions on camping.

A. Except in designated areas or in areas in which prior written permission has been granted by the owner or agent in charge of the real property, it shall be unlawful for any person to camp within the city limits of the town of Van Horn, Texas.

B. The activities listed in Section 12.12.030 of this chapter shall constitute camping when it reasonably appears, in light of all the circumstances, that the participants, in conducting these activities, are in fact using the area for living, sleeping, or overnight accommodation purposes regardless of the intent of the participants or the nature of any other activities in which they may also be engaging.

Sherry

RV-spirit

12/6/11 Note from Moderator: Patricia Golden's e-mail address corrected per her post this date.

Brett

A quick check of my records shows that we stayed in Van Horn, TX last fall. We pulled into a campground which is fortunate. Our refrigerator was functioning marginally and we stopped at a campground so we could plug in and get a good nights sleep. We commonly will stay overnight any place we can find a quiet parking place. Thanks for the note. This is on a route we travel frequently. We'll avoid stopping there in the future. I'll send a note to the two individuals you cite in your post.

By the way, the campground where we stayed was marginal at best. It is hard for me to imagine that a community like Van Horn actually has a convention and visitors bureau. Obviously the community thinks it is pretty hot stuff! They'll do without our business until this ordinance is repealed.

Guest Wayne77590

My email was just sent. We our son being transferred to the West Coast, we will most likely be making the trip and by-passing Van Horn until this ordinance is rescinded. Our money for fuel, food, and other accommodations will be well spend some place else.

OMG that is so funny. If you want to here something even better..just stay off I-10 period. Why? Because just about every town on I-10 Has the exact same law. Cheap people think it's to generate money for the towns. But locals of these small towns know that it is to avoid traffic hazards or dumping ( I actually saw an RV pull his dump valve in a parking lot once).

I do know for a fact that in Van Horn the KOA is around 35 dollars if I remember right and they have propane, pool, putt-putt golf free greens fee's to the local course and free wifi. Alot of bang for your buck and alot cheaper then that 85 dollar ticket. The other park there the Eagles Nest. It is tree lined with nice folks at the desk and are about 32 dollars per night..also cheaper then an 85 dollar ticket. The map shows rest areas also on both sides of town. So maybe the traveler that got the ticket...well he should research a little before condemning a whole town for the act he himself committed.

What everyone needs to do is contact them and let them know that we will not be stopping in their little town and spending any of our money there for fuel, food or at an RV park. We all need to avoid these types of communities.

Sent my email and copied City Hall.

Don

Sounds like the town won't miss much revenue from you bunch of cheapskates. I always try and stay at the KOA. Great Wi-Fi and fabulous homecooked food. Try it you'll like it. Campgrounds are much safer and one's like this one are really providing more than just a place to sleep.

Cheapskate? Hardly. :lol: When I stay at a Walmart or any other place like that, it is for convenience. Also why would I want to pay the outrageous prices for a KOA when all I need is a place to park overnight. Plus, if I feel that a community is "RV Unfriendly", then I am free to choose NOT to stay there or spend money in their community.

btw. If the truck stop does not care if an RV parks on "their" lot, then why should the community? What are they hurting? It's either the RV parks upset because they are not getting the revenue, or a bunch of politicians who like to control every aspect of peoples lives. The truck stop should have the "Freedom" to make the choice who they allow and for how long, on their lot.

When I go through Van Horn later this month, I will see what the say at the truck stop. Guess the reason I didn't get a ticket before was that I was there under four hours--just use there was a little nap.

OK, so I'm a cheapskate! $30+ for a night is money wasted as far as I'm concerned. I don't want a meal, I'm not going to play putt-putt golf, I don't even want to waste time hooking up and unhooking. I'm going to park about dark, maybe get a snack and watch a little TV before going to bed. In the morning I'll get up, check tire pressure with my Pressure Pro, adjust tire pressure if needed, circle the rig to check the towing hook-ups, bicycle rack and make sure there is nothing under the motor home. Then I'm on my way as early as possible. When I make these kind of stops I'm on my way somewhere and I'm making the most of the daylight I have on any given day.

Stay off the interstates if you want but when I'm trying to make as many miles as I can in a day, you can't beat the interstate highways. I'm not sightseeing on these trips, I have a place to be and a time I need to be there. Not all RV trips are relaxed touring trips. For those of us who are going somewhere quickly, a quick overnight stop is ideal and an RV park isn't needed or desired. I've stayed in all sorts of overnight stops and only felt security was an issue in a few out of many hundreds. I'll plan my travel to stop somewhere other than Van Horn until I hear that they have changed their law. Even when I'm traveling at a slower pace, I'll bypass an area that exhibits an unfriendly attitude toward RV's.

Then I'm on my way as early as possible. When I make these kind of stops I'm on my way somewhere and I'm making the most of the daylight I have on any given day.

Tom, Judging from the time of your post, 2:34 am, you are going to make alot out of the daylight today. Enjoy California and stay away from Van Horn

It wasn't that late, you missed a 1 in front of that time, 12:34. I was winding down from a late night card game.

It wasn't that late, you missed a 1 in front of that time, 12:34. I was winding down from a late night card game.

The time shown on a post also depends on the time zone selected in your (the viewer's, not poster's) "Profile Setting."

Brett

I am glad to see this warning.......have also seen it on the Walmart overnight site. Being Texans who like to go to Arizona in the winter and Colorado in the summer we often are on 1-10. Around 4 pm we start looking for anything that looks interesting and comfortable for the night, and like truck stops as they always have coffee in the morning. Two years ago we had dual tire blow outs in the area, Sierra Blanca is where we finally got service. We will try to not get caught in the Van Horn are around night time nor have to stop there for any reason.

Traveling Texans

Bryan, Texas.

The time shown on a post also depends on the time zone selected in your (the viewer's, not poster's) "Profile Setting".

Brett

So you were right Herman, I'm on the west coast it was 12:34 on my clock, yours showed up as 2:34. Thanks Brett!

Good Morning RV'ers,

My name is Patricia. I want to give you my correct email for Van Horn.

patriciagolden@vanhorntexas.org

I am presently out of town on emergency leave but I am not out of touch. A friend emailed me your website and forum. I represent the Van Horn Chamber of Commerce and I am a traveler of sorts. I would like to respond to your comments by welcoming you to write to me.

I was present at the city council meetings that lead up to a more strict decision regarding RV parking in the town of Van Horn. It was not intended to create such an unpleasant experience. I suggest you continue to write on your forum and write to me. I am sensitive to you complaints and would like to collect them for review by our City board.

Sincerely,

Patricia

Coordinator, secretary, treasurer

Van Horn Chamber of Commerce

Well well well, As usual you are way off base . Rest area's are there for a purpose TO REST. It doesn't mean you are camping over night or any thing else . I feel the town has a heck of a lot of nerve to give out these tickets without knowing how long the unit was parked there . I guess it's better to fall asleep at the wheel & have a accident .. According to them<<<<

As a Texas property owner, and what brought us to Texas is, Texas is Friendly.....

Texas has been RV Friendly for years.

This just isn't Texas Friendly.

Good Morning RV'ers,

My name is Patricia. I want to give you my correct email for Van Horn.

patriciagolden@vanhorntexas.org

I am presently out of town on emergency leave but I am not out of touch. A friend emailed me your website and forum. I represent the Van Horn Chamber of Commerce and I am a traveler of sorts. I would like to respond to your comments by welcoming you to write to me.

I was present at the city council meetings that lead up to a more strict decision regarding RV parking in the town of Van Horn. It was not intended to create such an unpleasant experience. I suggest you continue to write on your forum and write to me. I am sensitive to you complaints and would like to collect them for review by our City board.

Sincerely,

Patricia

Coordinator, secretary, treasurer

Van Horn Chamber of Commerce

Patricia,

Thanks for your post. My wife and I have made fuel stops in Van Horn on several occasions but when this new ordinance came to light we had decided to fuel somewhere else. Although we have never stayed overnight (or even a few hours) at a truck stop there, we have at other locations.

We had also discussed spending a few days at a campground there on our next trip but have changed our minds in light of this ordinance. This gives the appearance of either not wanting RVs in the city or considering RVers to be an undesirable element. Therefore, if they don't want me then why should I spend my money there?

The city board should really reconsider this action because it will ultimately cost the city untold business as word of this continues to spread.

Please continue to keep this forum updated on the situation.

I have fueled in Van Horn in the past but no more. It will be no problem to fuel in Midland/Odessa or El Paso. Having lived in Midland for four years, I know they like RV'ers dollars. Semper Fi

We and (2) other couples are planning to vacation in that general area next August 2012 but VanHorn,Tx has just been been put on our do not visit list.