Sign in to follow this  
Bikerman

Researching Motorhomes

Hello to all,

I think I start this by saying I don't work for the Company I will talk about. I'm just a satisfied Customer sharing with friends. My wife and I are soon to be full-timer's and I have researched this topic pretty well (I think), We currently have a Gas RV, but are moving to a Diesel.

I have purchased the 2009-2011 RV Comparison Guide from J.R. Consumer Resources Inc. @ www.jrconsumer.com. What I learned was very helpful and of all the Motorhomes they reviewed, the Tiffin Motorhome was rated the best by the RV Dealers Association (RVDA), and the Customers who own them. This guide includes Buying Tips, Selling Tips, and a review of all the Manufactures. It also includes information about who is still in business and who was bought out. (e.g. Navistar Inc acquiring Holiday Rambler, a product of Monaco, and now Monaco has been renamed to Monaco RV). Most everyone already knows this by now :-).

I would recommend this Guide because It discusses the pro's and con's of each type of engine (Gas vs Diesel), provides links to Chassis builder's websites, RV Online Forums and more. This guide talks about almost every topic from Purchasing, Financing, Extended Warranties, and (if you purchase the Ultimate package, which I did), you can fill out a form and they will provide you all the details about the RV you are considering.

I found it very useful in making my decision. If anyone is considering a newer Motorhome, I would recommend getting this guide. It appears N.A.D.A. is now the "Official" source for determining the resale value of an RV and what a lot of Dealer's are using to decide what your trade-in is worth. Visit their site at www.nadaguides.com determine the "Low" and "Average" Retail value of your coach so you will be prepared if a Dealer tries to get your Coach for less than it's really worth. I found it useful. Hope my friends out there do also :)

Ken and Karen Miller F332468

Portland, Oregon

Looking forward to joining the FUN!

Be aware that the dealer will never give you the retail value of your coach. He may play with the numbers to make you think he is giving you more, but he really isn't.

He will give you wholesale, which is about 70 percent of the retail value. You may be able to find a NADA book at your local library showing the wholesale or average trade-in value, which the on-line NADA does not for RVs, as far as I can tell.

In order to make a profit, he has to buy at wholesale and sell at retail.

I just checked the NADA Guides on-line for our motor home, just to get a value for determining our net value. Looks like I should be calling it a submarine instead of a motor home. :lol: Actually it wasn't that bad, we're just a little underwater. Sort of like a boat sunk in shallow water I guess. Thanks for the resource, no matter good or bad news, it is useful information.

When I consider the travels and experiences we've had over the last seven years with this motor home and the three previous years with its predecessor, the loss in value is really a fantastic return on our "investment." Price out ten years of travel in hotels and eating at restaurants. Add in the convenience of being at home - everywhere we traveled - it can't be beat!

I too just checked. In March, when I bought, I paid close to the NADA "average retail". In 6 months, number is now 20% less!

Ok , I do not and have not worked in any way for this outfit.

LazyDays in Fl. We picked out the class A we wanted over a few weeks working with Toby

a sells rep there. If you want to call them or e-mail and want to be as happy as the DW

and I are ask for him.

Before we took off on our 1500 mi. trip he (Toby) knew that if mommy aint happy no one is going to be happy.

So we get there with our trade and they bring down our new 07 Class A for use to go over

DW tol them what needed worked on or replaced. :) It was taken care of no qust. ask.

Then the awning came out, she did not like it, they said it would be ok. Time to call Toby :angry: . Toby said replace it. :P . They would have to order one or it if it was ok they would make her a new one. they came down with diff. colors the pick from :D . She did

and they had it made and on in two days. ( did I say they feed you two meals a day while there?)

Now for the other part. On the way home the alarm on the jacks started to act up. It would go off and say the jacks are down and parking brake on. This would happen when hitting a big bump. Called them ( now 500 mi. away) was told to take it home and get it fixed or come back to them. Home is S.E. Ohio and took a few weeks to find someone to work on them.

Post RV in Columbus said he would. ( 2 hr. away)

Got it back and Faxed the bill that I went ahead and paid for ( as asked for by Post)

Sent e-mail to Steve the guy there that takes care of this type thing for LazyDays last night to make sure he got the fax, He said yes and Ck. was in the mail. Got it today!!!

Thank You Toby, Steve and LazyDays.

:):rolleyes:

PS if you call Toby , tell him the OLDMAN from Ohio

said to say Hi. He will know who you are talking about.

pps: sorry about the typeing I'm a talker not typer! :D