stuplich

Cat Engine Exaust Brake MODE?

Two days ago my Cat dealer changed my ECM mode from "Manual mode" to "Latch mode", but there is a problem!

The ECM printout verifies that "Latch mode" IS programed into the ECM, however the PacBrake and cruise control do not operate as though it has been changed.

It operates as if it still in Manual mode.

With throttle CLOSED (not accelerating), and the cruise control power switch "ON" (which it MUST be use Latch mode), when the PacBrake power switch is turned "ON", the gear "Select" display goes to 2, the PacBrake engages (butterfly closes), and the coach decelerates, and downshifts. (if the cruise is set, it disengages).

It does NOT "coast" because the PacBrake activates.

It will however, accelerate with throttle application.

APPLYING the throttle returns the gear "Select" display to the higher gear that was preset, and disengages the PacBrake (opens the butterfly).

Closing/releasing the throttle results, immediately, in deceleration and PacBrake engagement once again!

It acts as though it is getting a signal that the brake lights are on,(they are NOT), and my brake lights DO NOT come on with the PacBrake powerswitced 'ON".

My Cat tech is baffled and I don't want to pressure him much, because he did the programing to Latch mode at NO CHARGE.

(It is true, you do get what you pay for. LOL)

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Mel Stuplich

The coach is a '96 Safari Sahara with a Cat 250hp 3126.

Update added 8/9/11

Today, my Cat dealer changed the mode in the ECM from "Latch" to "Coast" in an effort to get it working.

SAME result, It operates as though it is still in "Manual Mode".

Mel