Sign in to follow this  
Larry196

Toad Rentals?

I will be making a 4 or 5 month trip down the west coast in Sept.

I currently have a big heavy car and am not going to tow it with my RV because it's to heavy.

Has any one heard about Toad Rentals???????

I really don't want another car sitting around waiting for a trip, or the extra cost of insurance for a part time car.

I don't think you will have any luck with this for several reasons. TOADs get hard wear. TOADs have to be modified for a tow bar. If there were such a vehicle, it would have to be rented with the tow bar so the two would match. Then there is the wiring for lights and brakes. All this would have to come with the TOAD and then you would have to hook it all to your rig. All this for a vehicle that most people don't need. So the market for such a vehicle in any given location would be very small.

What you could try is to find an inexpensive used vehicle (AKA junker) which can be towed without modifications of the drive train. Buy that vehicle, have the tow bar attachments installed to fit your tow bar. Install the wiring for tail lights and brakes. Then you have a tow vehicle. When you are ready to part with it, try to sell it as a TOAD to someone else or simple remove your modifications and sell it as a used car. If you have the tow bar and brake equipment already, you could probably install the attachments for the tow bar, some magnetic lights and wiring for lights and a brake buddy for several hundred dollars over the cost of the vehicle.

Another possibility if you have a second driver would be to just rent a normal rental car and drive it from place to place when you relocate the motor home. If you're staying very long, the expense for this would easily exceed the cost of modifying a car to be a toad. You wouldn't have to purchase a car and then sell it. You could also purchase an inexpensive used car and then resell it when done - instead of towing, just drive it from place to place when relocating.