diamond1041

Norcold Refrigerator - fridge won't get cold

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

How long has it been on. It takes 24 hours for an absorption refrigerator to reach operating temperature.

Any difference when running on propane or 120 VAC?

Brett

The same with propane or if I'm plugged in. I put the refrigerator on and motorhome is level let it run for 4 days. Put a cup of water in the freezer and fridge. The water in the freezer turned to ice. The one in the fridge never even got cool.

The "coolant" goes to the freezer first, then the refrigerator, so if there is inadequate cooling, it will show up in the refrigerator.

Inadequate cooling could be due to extreme ambient temperature. Sun shining on the refrigerator side of the coach will inhibit cooling.

So will too large a space between the back of the refrigerator and the coach outside wall. The air coming in the lower vent must pass over the coils. If too much clearance between it and the wall, air can rise and exit without cooling the coils. A gap above the refrigerator also inhibits cooling, as the hot air collects there and does not exit. Read your refrigerator installation manual for exact specs on suggested clearances.

Many of us have installed 12 VDC muffin fans at the top of the coils to push the air up and out the roof/upper vent. That will improve performance.

Yes, it is possible that the cooling unit is going out, but look at all the inexpensive easy fixes first.

Brett

As Wolfe said, the coolant goes to the freezer evaporator first and then goes to the fridge evaporator. Some refrigerators can develop a blockage in the evaporator tubing which will usually show up as the fridge not getting cold like it should first. Then eventually the freezer will start to not get cold. I've been told that sometimes if you drive your rig around for a while, the coolant blockage may dislodge itself and the fridge will start to work again. I have also heard that if you remove the refrigerator and turn it upside down for a while, then reinstall it, you may have luck in getting it to work. If all else fails, it may be time for a cooling unit replacement. If your planning on keeping your rig I would suggest not buying a rebuilt cooling unit. It may be cheaper, but sooner rather than later it will fail. I recently replaced my Norcold 1200 cooling unit with an Amish Built cooling unit because I was getting tired of hearing about all the recall fixes and potential fires related to the Norcold cooling units. I made a video of my Amish Built cooling unit installation that shows whats involved in doing a cooling unit conversion. My Norcold 1200 has been working now for a month with freezer temps at 0 to 10 degrees and fridge temps at 32 to 38 degrees with a refrigerator setting of #5.

I want to thank everyone for the help and explaining how it works-- now l understand. I am going to try the fans first as I have 7 class A motorhomes that I rent out. This gives me something to do in my retirement years.