Sign in to follow this  
bairman

Remco Pump On Ford Towed Vehicle

Does anybody have any actual experience with Remco? I have posted earlier that we have a 2011 Ford Fusion That has 3,700 miles on it and is at the Ford dealer with its 4th transmission failure. We are trying to decide if we should pursue the buy back option or think about a Remco pump. We have already invested $1,000 for the base plate and install and Brake Buddy install. I won't consider unless Ford is willing to pay the cost, around $1,500. installed, and I am sure it will solve the problem. If you go to Remco's web site the home page is that they now have a pump for Fusion and Escape with the new 6-speed trans.

My recommendation is to stick with a vehicle that needs the fewest modifications to make it towable. Aside from the normal tow bar and brake system and maybe pulling a fuse or two that should be it. Shift into neutral on an automatic four wheel drive or into neutral on a standard trans. It seems that the more devices you have the more problems crop up. I tow a 1/2 ton Chev Silverado p/u which has a 5 speed manual transmission, for over 95,000 miles and no problems.

Been talking to Remco about their lube pump for my toad, and their parting remark was," if you feel uncomfortable about using our pump on your toad, then don't as we are not responsible for failures"

A reputable REV Dealer who has dealt with Remco for years before they sold out to new owners( yes they retained the Remco name) that Remco did warrant any failures now don't.

Mchigan Remco dealer advised not to put the pump on my Chrysler T/C as their was issues with the 62 TE tranny as far as fluid levels.

Proceed with caution.

This will not help. I have been threw the dance and the Ford Fusion cannot be towed (4 wheels on the ground). I brought this car for towing! I was told it could be towed,Blue Ox said the same and Remco sells a pump lube for this application. BUT you are wasting your (monies). THERE are 13 or 14 pages on this subject in our FMCA. I am retired and can not afford to buy another car to tow. I have had enough, I share so people will not suffer the same fate.

We tow a 2012 Ford Fiesta. In the manual it states that the car can be towed four wheels down. We just got it out of the shop with a whole new transmission. I wonder if that was due to the towing behind the coach? Any comments?

Me too, only it was a 2011. I towed it for a year and no problem, even a round trip to Florida from Boston, MA. They replaced the transmission and updated the onboard computer to show the transmission is ready to tow in the information center on the dash,

I noticed the difference because it is electronic and not manual, it took a few seconds for the transmission to go into neutral. This added feature lets you wait those seconds and makes sure it is ready to go. I had no problem with Ford, they honored the warranty. Now I take my time and I am good to go. On the fatal trip I remember doing the sequence properly, but must have shut the key off before enough time elapsed for it to electronically shift into neutral. Take your time next time, count to 6 or ten then turn off the key.

Good luck with your new transmission!

For what it is worth, I have towed a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix with the Remco pump for over 50,000 miles. I had a pump failure that was indicated by the warning light 3 years ago. Pump was overnighted to me and replaced. I delt with the new company on the replacement and they were very helpful. I also had a controller fail that was promptly replaced with an upgraded unit and have had no additional problems (just completed a 10,000+ mile trip to Alaska).

I highly recommend the Remco pump.