aztec7fan

Would You Let Your Teenager Drive Your Motorhome?

My son is turning 16 next year, and shortly thereafter, we will be taking a long trip to California. I am considering letting him drive our motorhome a small stretch of open highway in the desert southwest (middle of nowhere) if I'm satisfied with his driving skills with our cars.

What do you think?

In my opinion a 16 year old does not have sufficient driving savy, experience, and most importantly, judgement to operate such a large vehicle. On the other hand if the teen is gifted with spacial perception and judgement, you may give it a whirl. I remember when I was 17 and just got my DL. I had a lot to learn driving a 1960 Olds 98 Fiesta...a boat, I'll let you know. Most young drivers have a tough time learning how far away the vehicle is from the right or left lane lines. Learning braking distances for these large vehicles may end up giving you a heart attack while he's at the wheel...trust me.

I let my 16 year old drive in the mountains, with the wife in the passenger seat.(Guess which side the drop-off was on.)

That was 30 years ago, and I still hear about it.

Teens have pretty good reflex actions and if you are with them and know what you are doing why not?

I have been in the fire service over 29 years and and teach driver training for firefighters. I would rather take my chances on a 16 year old first time motorhome driver than a 61 year old first time motorhome driver. It is easier to teach a beginner good habits than to try to break life-long bad ones. Just my opinion.

As a parent of a 16 year old I'd say no way in the world would I let him drive our RV at highway speeds. He's a great kid, responsible and learning to be a good driver, but I wouldn't risk my life or those around me at his age. A couple years of driving under his belt and when he's 18 I'd consider it, but not now.

WOW...can of worms!  16 year old, raised in the country on a ranch or farm...yea, I'd ride!  City kid?  No way!

Carl

You better do a good deal of behind the wheel training in parking lots etc before you let him take over on a trip.  How many hours of driving a car as a learner were you satisfied with before he got a license and you let him take the car.  Do you think a trucking firm would hire no let a new 16 year old driver take out a truck? Can he rent a U-Haul? In any case, I hope you got deep deep pockets if something goes wrong and you get sued.

FYI, I started this thread 4 years ago.  My son is 20 now, and has not driven the motorhome yet.  If we get in a long straight stretch sometime, I might let him take the wheel, but no good opportunities yet.

Chris G.

F3508s

Chris G.  :lol:

Some things are not meant to be...Ability to handle an RV and age, do not go hand in hand.  I had my own at 24, but back then, it was 18 foot long, kind of like a long bed Crew Cab...:D and I knew how to drive a Box delivery truck, so no big step.

WBill.  Fully agree...it can be scary out there.  Take a Trip to So. TX or FL in winter!  Have no clue how some got there in one piece...:blink::wacko:

Joe.  I would guess one of your girls, would need the same as yours!  So, that means, you would have to be the instructor, then drive her to DMV for her test...if she passes, all the post's above, is a mote point. :blink::rolleyes:

Bet your premiums would go up! :lol: Not to mention, your blood pressure...:P

Carl

Carl, no way would I subject myself to that stress. DW has her class B CDL now and she doesn't want anything to do with the coach. 

I wouldn't let a teen drive our coach, but then again I wouldn't let anyone drive it! lol, DW will not even consider it, So I get the enjoyment of driving all to myself, I truly mean that, I love to drive the coach!

I strongly believe that in order to become a good driver you have to drive a LOT.  The more different kinds of vehicles you try out the better.  Our oldest daughter is only 9 right now, but as soon as she gets her permit I plan on having her drive as much as possible.  I will definitely have her driving the RV so that she can get a feel for it and learn control.  I will, of course, be right there in the passenger seat gripping the seat arms with all my might.... all the while giving what I hope is calm-sounding advice on driving.

30 minutes ago, lendvay said:

I strongly believe that in order to become a good driver you have to drive a LOT.  The more different kinds of vehicles you try out the better.  Our oldest daughter is only 9 right now, but as soon as she gets her permit I plan on having her drive as much as possible.  I will definitely have her driving the RV so that she can get a feel for it and learn control.  I will, of course, be right there in the passenger seat gripping the seat arms with all my might.... all the while giving what I hope is calm-sounding advice on driving.

After several years of experience with "smaller vehicles", I agree.

I'd check with the insurance company.  My insurance company lists only me and the D/W as drivers....and she refuses to drive it anyway.

I don't even let the guys at the shop drive mine until I know for sure that they can drive the old-school 4-speed. No way I'd let a teenager year old drive any Class A. Maybe after a few years driving smaller and more predictable vehicles.

That said, if they are licensed and along on trips I do believe that they should have a working knowledge of how to operate the controls and to move it in case of emergency.

Now that I have a Fiance, who has 38 years of driving gas & Diesel coaches!  Emergency driver not needed. :wub:

Agree with Brett.

Minor mistake?  What do you consider minor?  Back into a post would be a costly mistake, not life threatening!  Besides, that's what insurance is for.