z3jab1

Air Filter Minder Question

I own a 2005 (purchased new)Presidio Diesel on a Workhorse series R raised rail chassis with a Cummins 330. At about 10,000 miles the air filter minder would show over 50% so at the next oil change it would get changed. After 3 were installed and during the 40,000 change they went to change it, but this time they looked inside (sealed type)and it was still clean and put back the old one... Do I question the service center or is the filter minder not working and if so how do I fix it..

The air filter minder reads total restriction between the side of the coach and the location of the filter minder pickup which is between the air filter and turbo.

So, a bunch of extra corrugated hose between side of coach and air filter, too small an air filter, etc will lead to high filter minder readings.

The filter minder stores the maximum restriction encountered. If the intake is in the left side, the passage of an 80 MPG 18 wheeler can result in a false high reading.

Brett

The air filter minder reads total restriction between the side of the coach and the location of the filter minder pickup which is between the air filter and turbo.

So, a bunch of extra corrugated hose between side of coach and air filter, too small an air filter, etc will lead to high filter minder readings.

The filter minder stores the maximum restriction encountered. If the intake is in the left side, the passage of an 80 MPG 18 wheeler can result in a false high reading.

Brett

This, I think is different,When the coach was new the minder would increase (slowly) to around the 50% mark at 8,000 miles , so the service center would changed it. This situation repeated for the next two services. Then this last when I asked the service center about (Why so many filters) they took it off and looked at it and said it was OK and put it back on,,,, but now the minder will go back up within a 100 miles,,, I have reset 3-4 times and each time within 100 miles it will go back up. I only drive blacktop roads, it would appear to me the filter is only good for 8,000 miles. All of our driving is in Minn and down and back to Texas once a year.

Brett posted, "The air filter minder reads total restriction between the side of the coach and the location of the filter minder pickup which is between the air filter and turbo."

That is correct, but while at a CAT dealership for service the mechanic of many decades told me several times he has seen the pickup hose on the atmosphere side of the filter. This allows road dirt to fairly quickly restrict air hoses and gauge diaphragm.

I would check the actual attachment point to confirm it is getting filtered air.

Good information-- the more the better. Since this is a new issue, I would start by looking closely at the hose from coach side to filter housing. This hose is more likely to have a kink, animal nest, etc as compared with the air system from filter onward to the engine. An easy test. Reset the filter minder and do a WOT 0-60 MPH. Stop, reset the filter minder and removing the air duct that goes from side of coach to air filter from the filter end, repeat the 0-60 MPH. Compare the readings.

Also, air filter minder gauges are not expensive. It could be that the gauge is faulty.

Brett

After I installed the Banks kit I found that my gauge reads 15 even with a new filter. The max boost used to be 24-25 psi, now its 34-35 so more air needed. Wish there was an easy/cheap way to increase the filter and line size but the CAC is expensive to change.