Dannyjodi

Shock Question

Hi

I just purchased a used RV, 2000 Fleetwood Southwind Storm. I have had it a month, and I noticed passenger side rear leans. I looked under the RV and I can see that the shock on this side is really short. Is this shock broken. This is my first RV.

Hi Danny. The reason the shock looks short on that side is that the motohome is leaning so the shock is contracted. Is this a leaf spring or an air bag suspension? If it is a air bag suspension then will it level out when the motor is started and air pressure builds up in the tanks? If it is a leaf spring suspension then there is a good possibility of a broken spring or another suspension problem.

Mike is correct, the shocks on all RV chassis do NOT carry any of the coach's weight. They are there just to dampen suspension movement.

And as he said, give us enough details to be able to respond factually to your situation:

What chassis? Workhorse P or W or Ford F53?

Have you weighted the wheel positions-- if so, what are they and what are the GAWR's (Gross Axle Weight Ratings) from the plaque in the driver's area.

Brett

Brett.

My coach is a 2000 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34t. Its a Ford chassis. I have not weighted the wheels. I have had it for almost a month, did one trip and took it back to the dealer for some issues inside the coach (refrig & lp detector were not working correctly).

When I got home with the RV I noticed that the rear passenger side had the lean. It was fine before. I have not loaded it up at all.

I hope this info helps.

Danny,

Take it to a good truck suspension/spring shop. You can assist them by finding out from Ford or a Ford dealership with a service manual on your F53 chassis the correct RIDE HEIGHT. They will have a measurement from some point on the chassis to some point on the axle front and rear.

Compare those specs with your actual readings. And clearly, any of your personal gear that you can shift to the higher side of the coach will help.

Brett