DavidWhite

Campgrounds For Grand Canyon Trip

Question

We will be making a trip in about 6 weeks from Florida to see the Grand Canyon near Flagstaff, AZ

We are driving a 38 ft. motorhome. Will also be taking our motorcycles.

Any ideas or suggestions on campgrounds/RV parks for easy access to the Grand Canyon?

Any suggestions for attractions along the way or activities when we get there?

Thank you for any suggestions or comments.

16 answers to this question

There are several RV parks in Williams, AR.

We stayed at the KOA in WIlliams, which is about 30 miles south.

The National park has several campgrounds, don't know if you will fit with a 38'

We didn't even try since we are 38' also.

We stayed in the Grand Canyon Trailer Village Campground in a 30' Class C a few years ago and there were larger Class A motorhomes in the campground.

It's pretty convenient because it's within walking distance of a store for supplies and the park service runs a shuttle from there right to the edge of the Canyon.

You asked for suggestions on activities when you get there. I cannot suggest anything other than what will present itself, but when you leave there, I can suggest an activity that my wife and I enjoyed almost as much as the tour of the Grand Canyon itself, and that was the drive Hwy 64 along the road that goes east toward Cameron.

The canyon goes for several miles through Indian reservations, and some of the scenery is as beautiful as you will see at the canyon itself.

There are many places to walk right up to the edge, and no crowds to contend with.

David,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. If you have time during your stay at Grand Canyon, you might take the train from Williams out to the canyon. Some of our friends took the train trip and had a wonderful time. Have fun!

Tim

Last year we made the trip to GC and stayed at the Canyon Motel & RV Park in Williams,AZ. http://www.thecanyonmotel.com/the_rvPark_RATES.php

Williams is closer to the canyon than Flagstaff. Hwy 64 is a good cycle ride.

The place is just beautiful (as beautiful as you can get in the desert). They have a small motel and several old train cabooses that have been converted to motel rooms. Nice swimming pool and large gas bar-b-que grills that you can use for free. No trees, but it was very quiet at night and the help could not be better. It's easy in and out and they can handle big rigs with lots of pull-thru spots. Laundry, store, free Wi-Fi and free cable TV. Nearby is the train mentioned above that goes to GC (which we took on one of our days there) Other days we just drove to the canyon.

Lot's of good places to eat at Williams. Be sure to check out Pancho McGillicuddy's Mexican Restaurant. Good food (interesting story on how it got it's name).

Last year we took our 40 foot class a to the Grand Canyon Railway in Williams AZ. There is a Hotel and RV park there. The facility is only pavement, but has good clean restrooms/showers and laundry rooms. Walking distance to the train to ride to the Grand Canyon. Here is the link to their web site. http://www.thetrain.com/

Thanks for all the helpful ideas! Hope we can return the favor someday with information for you guys in our part of the country (Southeast)!

We are also always looking for suggestions of good local places to eat, too! Thanks Okie Dave for the Mexican Food suggestion! We LOVE to eat!!!

I'll make a couple of suggestions for places to visit. These are on I-40 east of Flagstaff. Petrified Forest National Park has an abundance of petrified wood logs scattered over a large area. The park straddles I-40 so you don't have to go out of your way. It is RV friendly including large RV's towing smaller vehicles. This is truly a spectacular location to see petrified wood in original location. There are many rock shops around the park that sell petrified wood from sources outside the park. You can purchase anything from lamps made with petrified wood to massive slices of petrified wood logs.

The second site is just six miles south of I-40 between Winslow and Flagstaff. Meteor Crater is a spectacular example of a crater formed by a meteor impact. Its age is very recent in geologic terms. You can walk to the rim of the crater and tour a museum. This is a private enterprise (not National Park) but is very well done. There is a large parking lot with plenty of room for RV parking.

Don't stay in the RV park at the Grand Canyon itself. It is dirty, expensive, and only has uneven gravel parking spots. We were there last year and were not impressed at all.....

I have to disagree with Janvlen.

We stayed at Grand Canyon Trailer Village which is within the National Park and about 1/4 mile from the rim of the canyon. It was just fine. It was not expensive. About $36. Not an ideal resort, but my goodness, how much closer to the canyon can you get? They even have a shuttle which comes to the park every 15 to 30 minutes to pick you up and take you to the rim. And, it is not dirty, as stated.

Also, a previous poster stated that Williams, AZ is only 30 miles away from the canyon. Not true. It is 59 miles away. Check it out on Google maps.

Just trying to help and provide some facts.

Don

I have not been there for a while but if you overnight in Flagstaff you might be interested in Black Barts. RV campground and steak house where the local college students give a short play along with dinner. Not the best steaks I ever had. or is it Broadway but beats watchin TV or whatever and is slightly different.

Guest BillAdams

Black Bart's specializes in Prime Rib and it is not to be missed in my opinion. Watch out for the horseradish as it is very! hot (I love that).

The show tunes during the dinner is a nice twist and surprisingly enjoyable. We go everytime we are in the area. The RV park is not much to speak of but it is convenient with lots of pull through sites.

Hello DavidW

hite,

Save your best experiences and please let us know when you come back! We, too, are from FL (GNV) and will be going to the NW in August/Sept. (Rifle Gap,Rockies,CO; Glacier,MT; Yellowstone, Grand Teton,WY; Bryce, Zions,UT; Grand Canyon, AZ). Enjoy your trip, we are so looking forward to ours!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

I have to disagree with Janvlen.

We stayed at Grand Canyon Trailer Village which is within the National Park and about 1/4 mile from the rim of the canyon. It was just fine. It was not expensive. About $36. Not an ideal resort, but my goodness, how much closer to the canyon can you get? They even have a shuttle which comes to the park every 15 to 30 minutes to pick you up and take you to the rim. And, it is not dirty, as stated.

Also, a previous poster stated that Williams, AZ is only 30 miles away from the canyon. Not true. It is 59 miles away. Check it out on Google maps.

Just trying to help and provide some facts.

Don

+1, We stayed there in a 40 footer. It is not a resort campground, but you are going for the canyon, not a swimming pool! :D

We will be staying in Mather Campground, within the Grand Canyon Village area. Originally we were going to tent camp, until we got this 26' class C, 2 weeks ago. Our campsite is listed as OK for tent or RV up to 30'.