badeye

2012 Chev Cruze and Malibu 6 sp Auto Not Dingy Towable

I have been going through a very disturbing effort to get a flat towable vehicle. I wanted a Chev Cruze but found, after getting the car home, that even though the Owner's Manual said that it was, it was not. There was a small piece of paper in the delivery package saying this. A call to the area rep for GM disclosed that he was not aware of the change either. A call to GM by the area rep revealed that it was not and neither was the 2011. After looking at the owner's manual on the Malibu and getting assurances from the area rep, I traded for the Malibu. Since I had only had the Cruze over night and it had not been titled, they just voided that deal and we made a new one on the Malibu.

I ordered a base plate for the Malibu but before it came in I found out that the transmission in the Cruze and Malibu are the same. I started calling through the Customer Service number to GM and finally found a supervisor that took the time to research it and find out that Malibu, both 2011 and 2012 with the 6 speed automatic transmission, are not flat towable.

I am currently waiting on a return call from the Supervisor to determine what can be done at this point. I now have a base plate for the Malibu that I will have to try to find a way to return, a lot of money in the Malibu and still do not have a flat towable vehicle.

Badeye

I would wait at least a year after the car has been out and see what the history looks like with it being towed. Remember the cars are designed to be driven not towed.

Please get back to us and let us know what you find out. I have looked into buying a GM car for the simple reason that all the brochures I have looked at state that the car can be flat towed. Does that apply only if the car has the five speed automatic?

I wouldn't think that it would be necessary to wait a year to see what the towing history is going to be, as a poster above has stated. If GM says that it can be flat towed, then it should have been designed for that purpose as well as for being driven.

I'm not saying its right but I don't believe everything I read or hear. Proof of that is this discussion. That's why history is important.

The facts in this case are as plain as anything ever was. GM marketed many of their cars as towable and it stated so in the owner's manual. After several failures they have decided to change their policy on towing and issue an updated page to paste over the original page of the owner's manual. The updated page and cover letter sent to the owners states GM will not cover any damages caused by towing the vehicle 4 down.

To me this is a clear breach of contract. One of the deciding factors in purchasing the vehicle was it's capability of being towed 4 down and now the truth is, it can't be towed that way without risking damage to it. The only compensation GM has offered these owners is reimbursement after they purchase a tow dolly. Having used a tow dolly in the past, I found it nothing more than 500 lbs of dead weight to pull around and a lot of extra time to get ready to tow my dinghy. I was a lot younger then, but dragging that thing out of the way so I could back into my campsite was a real PITA. I would never consider using one again.

Believe it or not - facts are facts and history will show that GM is trying to screw these owners.

As a owner of a 2011 Cruze, bought it to tow 4 wheels down. I also am fighting with GM, so far, got the insert to put into my manual over the old page stating that it is not towable 4 wheels down and if you do you will damage the transmission and void the warranty.

I believe the transmission 6T40 is the culprit. I'm waiting to hear if they will take the car back, I don't want the tow dolly either.

Bring back Saturns!! You hear me GM? You blew it and you know it (they read these posts, folks)!!

We purchased a used 2010 HHR and just finished a 8000 mile trip through Canadian Maritime and Canada with no problems. All we had to do was pull the #8 fuse. If I were you I would check for a good used car to tow. Dealers promise anything for a sale!

I heard the same thing from my neighbor (a former GM worker) with a 2011 Cruze. I have 2010 Malibu with the same transmission that it is set for towing. My dealer doesn't know anything about it.

I spoke to my Chevrolet Dealer today and the manual for the 2012 clearly states that it can't be flat towed. I asked about my 2010 Malibu and they siad since the manual states that it is 'Flat Towable' that it is and the transmission would be covered if something went wrong. The 2012 states that it willot be covered if 'Flat Towing' the car.

Researched Chevy Cruze Auto to Flat Tow. Salesman told me it could be Flat Towed. I checked the Owners Manuel and It told how to Flat Tow. I purchased the Auto Cruze on Aug 16. I had a base plate and wiring installed on Aug29th. Car has 700 mi on it. Aug 30 a friend of mine called and told me not to buy the car because it is NOT flat towable. Too late. I called Chevy Warrenty and was told If I flat towed the vechile I would void the warrenty. A letter went out to Cruze owners. Nevewr got one. They gave me a case number and someone will call me. I called the dealer. The General Manager of the dealership has a Cruze and got the letter 2 weeks ago. When I purchased the Car the salesmen knew I was going to Flat tow. I even went on the Blue Ox web site to show him how they will install the base plate. You think the'd call me and tell me not to do it. Got a call from GM Rep "Cindy" She offered me a $1500 tow dolly. You can't get a good one for less than $3000. Also there's the $850 I spent on the base plate. Got rid of one in 2001. She said the district manager will contact me and offer me a buy back. Probably at the used car rate. The DM contacted me and offered to put me in a new Equinox,swap the Cruze and I'll pay the difference, $5,000. Don't want it, too big to tow. Called again and offered to put me into a 2012 auto Sonic. Even swap and he will add the Blue Ox Base plate. The Sonic cost less than the Cruze and then there's the cost of the $850 bass plate I put on the Cruze. I don't want to make money on Chevy's screw up but I will not lose any either. Base plate form Sonic not available for a few months. What a mess!

It is a mess, and a lot of us are swimming around in this mess like you. I also have been promised a buy out, and I appreciate it because it is the only way out that I can see, don't want a tow dolly, I don't care what they cost. At present, working on getting another car, I will have to shell out more money but what is the alternative?

Has anyone tried the Remco Lube Pump?

I have never tried one, heard about them, they seem to do the job. But if your considering one for a Chevy Cruze, you will have to wait 60-90 days, that is what they told me. They are currently testing a pump for the Cruze, they were told that the Cruze was towable 4 wheels down so they didn't make a pump for it, why would they? But Cruze, as we owners all know, it not towable, and here we are waiting for GM to make it right, will they? Has anyone settled up with them yet? Would like to know, I have been waiting and waiting all week for the ok from my GM reps boss, he is either in a meeting, out to lunch or just plain won't answer his phone. Sounds like foot dragging to me. Frankly, I think they better get this thing settle, hear rumblings of a class action.

Sounds like I'd better stick with my 2002 Cavalier for towing. Glad I ran onto this forum. Does anyone know if the Cobalt is towable? They are great cars and fun to drive.

This is quite a mess. I have heard all of the previously mentioned solutions proposed by GM however, one of our customers who had purchased and installed the tow bar, base plates, and wiring was able to work out a deal with GM for a Remco Lube pump. The good news - Remco is working on it. They got a transmission from GM and the engineers are confident that they will be able to make a pump that works. They have been able to create pumps for other 6 speed transmissions in the past. The bad news - The pump is not going to be available this fall. Remco says the best case scenario will be 90 days. Based on experience I would think they might have something to start testing in 90 days but I would not count on getting a pump for quite a while. It would be best if the Cruze was towable but, if GM is providing the lube pump that is the way I would go. For everyone who did there homework and got this vehicle as a tow behind I hope this is resolved soon and you are compensated for you trouble.

Anybody know about any legal action started? I just don't understand how they can just say they're not going to honor the warrenty. It's fair if they don't want to honor it from the time they add a note to the manual. That's. ok. To just say they're not going to honor it prior to that, just dosen't seem legal to me. Heck, it's like telling a fire department not to use the fire trucks water pump as some have failed, it's ok to drive the truck to the fire but don't use the water pump. AND we aren't going to fix it either. Does it mean that anyone can just void a warrenty if they choose and that's that? These "DEALS" they're offering seem to be costing US, not them Sorry I traded in my 2001 Honda Civic. Any legal folks out there want to help?

As a owner of a 2011 Cruze, bought it to tow 4 wheels down. I also am fighting with GM, so far, got the insert to put into my manual over the old page stating that it is not towable 4 wheels down and if you do you will damage the transmission and void the warranty.

I believe the transmission 6T40 is the culprit. I'm waiting to hear if they will take the car back, I don't want the tow dolly either.

Bring back Saturns!! You hear me GM? You blew it and you know it (they read these posts, folks)!!

Oh I love my 2006 Saturn Vue! Not a problem with it after being driven 53K miles and about 20K being towed. I would never again buy a GM product.

Oh I love my 2006 Saturn Vue! Not a problem with it after being driven 53K miles and about 20K being towed. I would never again buy a GM product.

Saturn was a good cheap car, keep it as long as you can. I have a nice Regal to tow to Florida or a nice Wrangler to tow to Arizona!

Hello badeye---Any update on the Malibu situation?---They offered me one and claim it's flat-towable.---Where did you get your information?---Can you give me a number and name of a real knowledgeable person I can contact?---Sure would like to get some honest facts to tell these guys aover here in Florida what the real scoop is.---One of the people talking to me told me he works down in Argentina.---Like they really know what's the problem really is down there.

Isn't that something! We bailed GM out, they make great cars now, with exception of this 4 wheel towing issue, and they hire people down in Argentina to answer the phones and deal with people up in America! To be fair, the first tier, when you call GM, is American operators, then they turn you over to the second tier, which is in South America, they give them English names like: Marvin, Monica, etc, but I knew I was dealing with people who were not American, couldn't put my finger on the accent, thought they might be Indian, until I asked a GM rep at my dealer. I have nothing against people from Argentina, in fact, I rather like Argentina, but why don't they hire America answering services? I hope the dingy towing thing get fixed for all who are involved, it has been trying and a mess.

I bought a 2011 Cruze to tow but in Aug 2011 got a declaration from Chev that it coul not be towed 4 down. I complained and Chev offered to trade the Cruze for a 2012 Malibu, which was towable. Chev even paid to have Blue Ox base plate installed. I pulled out the owner manual and found a supplement prohibiting 4 wheel down towing. I called Chev rep who set this up and she was not aware. The on line manual has not been changed. I am now awaiting to find out how Chev will resolve this.

Has anyone had experience towing an Equinox?