RHeald

Rotating Motorhome Tires

I did a search in this topic and did not find anything about rotating tires.

First, should you rotate tires on a motorhome, and second, when (mileage) should you do it?

Thank you,

Kathy

Actually, tire rotation on a motorhome is quite a lot different than on a passenger car, SUV or even light truck.

On a motorhome, there is no scheduled time/mileage for a tire rotation. If there is no uneven wear, the tires may well be replaced based on age before rotation is called for.

Rotate tires if uneven wear is detected. Run your hands across the tire and then down the tread, particularly on the front tires that are far more prone to uneven wear than the back tires. If a discernible pattern is felt, rotation may be warranted if enough tire life (generally time not tread) remains.

At that point, a determination should be made as to the cause of the uneven wear. Some uneven wear, such as rivering and wear of the far inner and outer tread do not call for additional maintenance. Other patterns may call for the need for an alignment, balance/check tires for run-out, shocks, etc.

If rotation is called for because of wear on the front tires, move both front tires to ONE side of the rear. Do not locate a worn front tire on the same side of in the rear with a far less worn and therefore “taller” tire on the rear. The taller tire will carry a disproportionate share of the load. Choose the side of the rear that will be moved forward based on those in better condition. This is generally the left rear, as they are less exposed to curbing than the right rear. With the rare exception of a few tires that are directional, tires may be mounted in either present direction of rotation or the direction may be reversed. I recommend putting the side of the tires exposed to the outside/UV mounted facing INBOARD.

I did a search in this topic and did not find anything about rotating tires.

First, should you rotate tires on a motorhome, and second, when (mileage) should you do it?

Thank you,

Kathy

I have a post that covers rotation and matching duals. Pictures of the result of the RV manufacturer not setting alignment of the RV when new in the post.