Sign in to follow this  
rrlowther

Where To Fuel Up?

Greetings everyone. I've been reading a lot of the posts on the FMCA site and it's been a tremendous resource for information and ideas... I had the occasion, as we often do with these big rigs to fuel up. I went to my local station and pulled behind the store to load up with diesel. I've seen numerous diesel vehicles, from 18 wheelers to dump trucks etc filling up at those particular pumps...

When I went into the give the attendant my credit card he informed me that I was at the wrong diesel pump. So I had to pull around. My question is this, when fueling at a Flying J or Pilot fueling station am I pulling up to the wrong pump if I go where the diesel rigs are fueling? Or should I be using the diesel pumps where the cars fuel up?

I'm not that familiar with diesel engines and want to make sure I'm putting the right fuel in my rig.

Some states like Oregon have special pumps for commercial truckers only (lower tax). RV's have to fuel at the automobile pumps or special RV pumps.

There are also states that have agricultural diesel (tax free or lower tax) so you have to use different pumps. I don't know of any other considerations. In all our travels we have rarely encountered these situations.

Most Flying J's it makes no difference if you use the truck, RV or auto pumps. It is all the same diesel fuel.

Guest BillAdams

The fuel is all the same (except for off-road diesel which is illegal to put in a licensed on-road vehicle and contains a special red dye to catch cheaters) it's just the taxes that make things different. This will vary depending upon where you fuel. In IN you usually must go to a special pump. In other States you can pump from whatever pump but you may not pay the price on the pump. In OR the price to an RVer is $0.30/gallon higher. In AZ the price is 8 or 9 cents lower. You will learn the ropes as you travel around and know what and what not to do. In some cases, it simply learning experience and you have to deal with it!

The fuel is all the same (except for off-road diesel which is illegal to put in a licensed on-road vehicle and contains a special red dye to catch cheaters) it's just the taxes that make things different. This will vary depending upon where you fuel. In IN you usually must go to a special pump. In other States you can pump from whatever pump but you may not pay the price on the pump. In OR the price to an RVer is $0.30/gallon higher. In AZ the price is 8 or 9 cents lower. You will learn the ropes as you travel around and know what and what not to do. In some cases, it simply learning experience and you have to deal with it!

It' only cheaper in Arizona if you are under 26,000 lbs and dont have a third axle. There is a very small sign on the pump that states that.

Guest BillAdams

I do have a 3rd axle, weigh about 40,000 Lbs and always get the discount in AZ with my RV card at Flying J.

I do have a 3rd axle, weigh about 40,000 Lbs and always get the discount in AZ with my RV card at Flying J.

Please read the sticker on the pump next time you fuel. I've fueled at the RV pumps before, but it is not worth it to me to get fuel a little cheaper. Flying J could care less at what pump you fuel at as long as they are selling you the fuel.

Guest BillAdams

If you don't care what you pay for fuel you are posting to the wrong forum. You should be posting at www.I'veGotMoneyToBurn.com . I care and I will do what I can to save $20 on a fill-up. Whether I fuel at the RV pumps or the truck pumps I always get the same price with my RV card. Let agree that FJ is doing it wrong.....I'm OK with that!

If you don't care what you pay for fuel you are posting to the wrong forum. You should be posting at www.I'veGotMoneyToBurn.com . I care and I will do what I can to save $20 on a fill-up. Whether I fuel at the RV pumps or the truck pumps I always get the same price with my RV card. Let agree that FJ is doing it wrong.....I'm OK with that!

Bill I don't want to get in a big arguement here, all I'm asking is read the label on the pump and make up your own mind. By the way I'm not a wealthy man and money is very important to me and paying the fine is not in my budget. My last post on this subject, if not you I hope it will help someone else. Wilbur

Guest BillAdams

I'm just saying...... It is what it is. I will stop, fuel, get my discount and move on.

Guest Wayne77590

Bizsmith,

If you use the PFJ card at a PFJ authorized service center, you get the cash price minus 3 cents off the cash price.

The PFJ card is free.

The PFJ card is not a credit/debit card, it is just a PFJ Advantage Card that gives the RV'er a discount.

I am new to RVing and would like to know what is the "PFJ Advantage Card" and how do you get one?

Cecil Dean

Guest BillAdams

Cecil,

The PFJ (Pilot/Flying J now that they have merged) is just like a grocery store "loyalty" card. I believe you can sign up online but you can also stop by any PFJ and pick up an application. It's free and give you a discount on gas, fuel, propane and dump fees. It also allows you to use a CC and still receive the cash price (my favorite feature).

Something worth considering.....I have a credit card with "PenFed" (a credit union associated with the Pentagon) that gives a 5% discount on all gas/ diesel purchases paid for at the pump. The credit is applied against the outstanding balance due each month. This is not a today special...it is "forever". You do not need to be in the military or retired from it, an affiliation with a organization they approve of is all it takes. 5% is a big deal for most of us and it is on top of discounts you may get from Sam' s Club, Flying J or whatever. It cost me a one time fee of $25. to join the organization which was paid for rather quickly on our trip to Tucson this past winter. For more info., call Cardholder Service at 800-247-5626 or go to penfed.org.

I was warned one time, not to use small stations. If they don't sell enough volume there is some chance of condensation in their tanks and a chance to end up with water in your fuel tank. Probably not a big problem but something to consider.

I use the pfj card with a lifetime Good Sam membership card and get 6 cents off the cash price and use my hometown credit card which gives me 5% cash back. I just bought 148 gallons of diesel in Pacific Mo.

Bizsmith,

If you use the PFJ card at a PFJ authorized service center, you get the cash price minus 3 cents off the cash price.

The PFJ card is free.

The PFJ card is not a credit/debit card, it is just a PFJ Advantage Card that gives the RV'er a discount.

I have the PFJ Card, My RV Rewards, not the one that is also a credit card and tied to Good Sam's. The discount is 2 cents a gallon on that, not 3, (for gasoline anyway). Now the Pilot's I fueled at with it, I did not notice if the original price was Credit or Cash, but I think they were the same. After swiping my RV Loyalty card, the price went down 2 cents a gallon.

I also do the Winn-Dixie Fuel Perks and just gassed up the RV last Sat, June 30th getting $1 off per gallon, on the first 20 Gallons, (the limit each time you use it), my price $2.29 a gallon for regular.

BTW, why has gas started back up AGAIN??? I noticed the Cumberland Farms near my house went from $3.21 on Monday and today it is $3.33, (with a stop at $3.24 Wed until this morning).

We try to avoid the big national chains...PFJ, Loves, etc They are usually crowded, dirty and don't give that good a price. The discount they like to give brings the price down to where it should be and many others are. We try to find big rig friendly stations that pump lots of fuel.

I found that a lot of the Murphy stations, associated with Sam's and Wal-Mart, offer a very favorable price compared with P/FJ, Loves, etc. Their diesel tends to be on the end islands and a lot of them have room to get in and out...some are tight and tighter with a tow. I check out the pumps when getting groceries and I have found by using the "bird eyes view" on maps I can scope out if there is sufficient room for my 37' coach. I use the Wal-Mart travel directory that lists all their stores, whether they have diesel and what exit they are at off the interstate.

Not sure about Arizona, but I did pull up to a pump at a Flying J in Nevada and it was as stated above, fuel only for vehicles not used on the highway, farm tractors, etc. I did not realize it until the attendant informed me I was at the wrong pump and needed to move to a low sulfur diesel pump. I too thought they were all the same up to that point.