astmi

Firestone Tires for 40-Foot Motorhome

My Class A motorhome (40-foot Scepter) is equipped with Goodyear G670 RV tires. A few tire dealers recommend Firestone tires to replace my Goodyear's. Has any one experienced Firestone tires on a motorhome of that size and weight? As far as I know, these Firestone tires are not made especially for motorhomes. They are 30% less expensive than Goodyears.

Welcome to the FMCA Forum Astmi,

Rather than comparing brands, it might be better to compare the specifications of the particular tires being considered. The issue is the tires' ability to safely carry the weight of your motorhome.

Start by weighing your coach (loaded as you would be for a trip) at a truck stop or other weigh station. You need to get the total weight, the weight on each axle, and the weight on each tire. With that information, you can see if the tires being suggested are rated to carry that weight with a reasonable margin of safety.

Both the brands you mentioned are reputable and they probably have similar warranties. If the less expensive Firestones are rated to carry your actual weights, then it would seem to make sense. So review the manufacturer's published tire ratings yourself; don't simply take the salesman's word for it. Also, don't assume the tires now on your coach are adequate. They may be underrated for the loads you are carrying. The only way to know is to weigh the coach. After that, the numbers speak for themselves.

Good luck and happy travels.

Tim

Actually, I think it is helpful to both look at the specs and discuss differences in brands. I just replaced 6 of my 8 G670s with Michelin XZA2s. I went up to 315/80R22.5 on the steers and stayed with 295s on the rest as the rims don't have the minimum offset for the 315s in a dually application.

We picked up about 1,400 lbs of capacity per side on the front - we were close to the limit on the 295s - and went from 16 to 20 plies.

Had the experience of driving over the same wretched road through Spokane and over the Snoqualmie pass. Not the worst roads, just bad ones. The Michelin's ride much nicer, period.

Before anyone puts the G670's on their MH I suggest you do a search via Google, RV.Net and IRV2. You will quickly see that these are not great tires. They will devlop strange wear patterns (rivering) and GY will NOT stand behind them. There are so many brands that have pleased MH owners including: Michelin, Continental, Toyo, BFG and Hancook. Take your pic but stay away from Goodyear G670. They do have a few other tire lines that are decent but customer service is not one of their selling points. The FMCA Michelin tire program is a very good deal.

Moisheh

Before anyone puts the G670's on their MH I suggest you do a search via Google, RV.Net and IRV2. You will quickly see that these are not great tires. They will devlop strange wear patterns (rivering) and GY will NOT stand behind them. There are so many brands that have pleased MH owners including: Michelin, Continental, Toyo, BFG and Hancook. Take your pic but stay away from Goodyear G670. They do have a few other tire lines that are decent but customer service is not one of their selling points. The FMCA Michelin tire program is a very good deal.

Moisheh

Thank you for your reply.

According to motorhomers I met, Michelin does not stand behind its products. They always have a good reason not to honor their warranty.

Moisheh

Moisheh, I have put close to 40,000 miles on my G670s and not one bit of trouble. They have worn smooth and flat across the tread. I have out more then 150,000 miles plus on Goodyear tire and have had very good results.

That being said I have been through Firestone 500 and I think it was the 727. My last Firestone 500 (company car) were replace several times. I had 12 different tires put on and replaced. I'm sorry but there is no way I, myself, would ever install Firestones on any car. My wife, while I was out of town, had firestones put on her Caddy. With less the 10,000 miles the front driver side tire desinigrated and tore the fender off the car. Firestone said send the tire into them and they would evaluate it. Guess what IT WAS MY FAULT.

Michelins are good tire and so are Gooyear G670s.

Nuff said and just my thoughts.

Bought a used Dutchstar  2003 in 2016 and had Firestone  275/70R  22.5 put on the unit.. Have put about 35000 mi. on the tires and just had 1 tire loose pressure on rt. side  rear inside. Other tires are looking good -- no weather cracks and good tread. Plan to replace the 2 fronts and move the older 2 fronts to replace the 2 rt. rears.

Tom

4 hours ago, Teeky said:

Bought a used Dutchstar  2003 in 2016 and had Firestone  275/70R  22.5 put on the unit.. Have put about 35000 mi. on the tires and just had 1 tire loose pressure on rt. side  rear inside. Other tires are looking good -- no weather cracks and good tread. Plan to replace the 2 fronts and move the older 2 fronts to replace the 2 rt. rears.

Tom

Tom, welcome to the forum. Have you looked at the Continentals under the FMCA tire program?

Bill

On 9/13/2011 at 4:47 PM, hermanmullins said:

Moisheh, I have put close to 40,000 miles on my G670s and not one bit of trouble. They have worn smooth and flat across the tread. I have out more then 150,000 miles plus on Goodyear tire and have had very good results.

That being said I have been through Firestone 500 and I think it was the 727. My last Firestone 500 (company car) were replace several times. I had 12 different tires put on and replaced. I'm sorry but there is no way I, myself, would ever install Firestones on any car. My wife, while I was out of town, had firestones put on her Caddy. With less the 10,000 miles the front driver side tire desinigrated and tore the fender off the car. Firestone said send the tire into them and they would evaluate it. Guess what IT WAS MY FAULT.

I've never trusted Firestone since a brake job they did on the car of one of my father's coworkers almost killed him. As a matter of fact I dont' trust any chain store from Firestone through Wally World. 

On 9/13/2011 at 5:47 PM, hermanmullins said:

Sorry to hear you had problems with tires in the '70's. Why did you let your wife drive a Caddy? Don't you remember reading about how unsafe the GM '59 Corvar was? We certainly should be concerned for all our friends driving on Ford products. You do remember the problems with the Pinto catching fire.

Yes my examples are a bit extreme but IMO so is suggesting that a problem with a Passenger tire designed in 1965 has similar features to a truck tire designed in 2010  is similarly extreme.

FYI I understand that Firestone & Dayton 22.5" tires are made in the same tire plant in TN as are many Bridgestone tires. You can confirm by checking the DOT serial.

See you in Gillette

Edited by tireman9
Added info on tire plant