rvtrax@gmail.com

'06 Freightliner serpentine belt routing

I need to have a link or routing of the serpentine belt and tensioner adjustment. You cannot see hardly anything in this diesel pusher, so I need to replace this missing belt right the first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. No body had the belt in Panama City, so I over nighted the belt from Freightliner Part # 01-24730-004. Freightliner said the Gates number is 4080710.

Freightliner should be able to e-mail you or fax you a diagram. They are the ones who route the serpentine belt (as they spec the alternator and A/C compressor).

While changing the serpentine belt, suggest you also replace the Caterpillar speced (get from Caterpillar dealer) water pump belt.

If the old belts are still in place, you can always draw serpentine belt routing before removing the old belts.

Brett Wolfe

Has anyone else had the V-Ribbed Belt break for no apparent reason? I have a 2006 Damon with a Freightliner Chassis. I had been parked for about a month and when we just started out warning lights came on. I had it towed in and they found the belt #3289864 broke. They replaced it and could not come up with a reason that it had broke.

Looking for answers......

Linda

Linda,

Belts break for a number of reasons:

All rubber parts become more brittle with age.

There could be a slight mis-alignment of the pulleys.

The belt could have been over/under tensioned (always check automatic tensioner when replacing the belt.

Stones or other debris could have been kicked up between the belt and a pulley, damaging the belt.

One of the accessories can be seized up (usually alternator or A/C compressor). Always spin all pulleys when changing a belt.

The belt could have been installed incorrectly-- with the grooves one tooth off (in or out) on a pulley.

Brett Wolfe

Has anyone else had the V-Ribbed Belt break for no apparent reason? I have a 2006 Damon with a Freightliner Chassis. I had been parked for about a month and when we just started out warning lights came on. I had it towed in and they found the belt #3289864 broke. They replaced it and could not come up with a reason that it had broke.

Looking for answers......

Linda

Take a hint from the off-roaders. When you buy a used motorhome, change all the fluids, belts, and hoses so that you're starting as fresh as you can with a used coach. Make notes of the part numbers, date of change, and the mileage. From then on maintain the factory change intervals. Also, keep the older belts in a storage unit just in case one of the newer belts breaks before its time (the spares could save you a tow to a garage).

I want to clear up something, I bought the Motorhome new. So there was no need for us to replace and change anything. When we had it towed in, they found the broken belt but found no reason that it broke.

Linda

You may have had a defective belt or when it was first put on someone nicked the belt thus weakening it. If the mechanics couldn't find a problem I wouldn't worry about it, but keep a close eye on it for a while just in case. Happy RVing!

Still, if you're comfortable doing the work yourself, an extra set of belts in storage could save you from another emergency tow to a shop.

Actually, carrying spare belts is a great idea whether you can replace them or not. You will find those who can replace them virtually anywhere you travel, BUT finding the right belt in the middle of nowhere is a different matter.

And if the present belts are over 3 years old, replace them and save the OLD ONES as spares.

That does two things:

1. ABSOLUTELY assures you that you have the correct belt.

2. Lessens the likelihood of a belt breaking.

Brett Wolfe

I had to relplace a belt on my old motorhome twice for "no apparent reason". The second time I was able to recover the broken belt and there was evidence that some critter had chewed it. BTW my motorhomes are garaged on a concrete slab, but critters can still seem to find them.