Sign in to follow this  
JoeBower

Transfer-case

Hi...

I have a '79 Revcon. It has a Chevy 454,front wheel drive. I recently bought this coach and am bringing maintenance up to my standards. Last week I was changing the transfer-case fluid. When I pulled the fill plug approx. 2 quarts of fluid drained. I pulled the drain plug and the remaining fluid drained. This transfer-case has a capacity of 1.5 quarts fluid change. My question is...has the seal between the transmission and the transfer-case failed and is allowing transmission fluid to fill the transfer-case? They both use Dexron III fluid. How hard is this seal to replace? I'm not so concerned with the transfer-case having the extra fluid ...and constantly monitoring the transmission fluid level as I am the excess fluid coming out the vent hole and oiling the bottom of the coach. Any suggestions?

Thanks...Joe!

Joe, Welcome to the Forum.

If I understand, a 1979 Revcon Motor Home is a General Motors 455 ci motor with a transaxle for front wheel drive. If I am right there is no transfer case. You have a transaxle. Oldsmobile was the first GM Front Wheel Drive car followed by the El Dorado. You might want to look up the transaxle to see how much fluid it takes. I do not know if the unit also has a defferential behind the transmission or not. That may be what you are refering to as the transfer case.

Good luck and again Welcome to the Forum. :huh:

Actually, Revcon used two different drivetrains. The early ones were Olds Tornado 455 with that transaxle. Later ones, after the demise of the large Tornado was a Chevrolet 454 and transaxle from a different source-- German if memory serves.

You might join the Revconeers or Google them. There are some very knowledgeable Revcon owners there who can answer your question.