John503

Thinking About Adding Safe Steer

Hello everyone.

I am thinking about adding a SafeSteer to my motorhome.

I have heard both good and bad about various steering assist units. I would appreciate any input anyone may have.

If you have used SafeSteer, what is your thoughts?

John503

John,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

So that we can give you better answers, please let us know what chassis you have and what you are wanting to change/improve.

If, for example you have a Class A on a Freightliner chassis, reports on what a device does on a Chevrolet P chassis would be of little value.

Thank you for reply. I have a 2006 Monaco Monarch 30PPD on a Ford F53 chassis.

I am looking for something that would help with the wind, when semis pass etc. I read in this forum on earlier posts but really did not see what I was looking for. I have heard that the SteerSafe can help with my situation, not stop it, just help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as about anything one does to try and correct or ease these problems is kinda expensive.

John503

John, as Brett said, Welcome to the Forum.

We had a 32' Monaco Windsor DP. I had the SteerSafe unit installed on it. I didn't see much difference. I, on my own, added longer eye bolts to the springs so I could get more tension. It did improve the steering. However when we went through Deming, NM we went to the factory for a tune up. "Oh my goodness, you can't do that" was their response.

They replaced all four springs and eye bolts, at no charge. I did not see any difference from what I had done but it was still better then the original springs and bolts.

My opinion is that for the money spent(aprox. $400.00 6 years ago), I would try a better steering dampener aka shock absorber. Try that first before, it may not help but it can't hurt and is less expensive.

Also you might take your coach to a truck alignment shop and tell them your problem. There are things they can do that might help, it doesn't hurt to ask.

:)

Good luck,

There are several thing you can do that will improve directional stability:

1. Weigh the axles or individual wheel positions (better) and set tire pressure based on the heavier wheel position-- all tires on an axle getting the PSI based on heavier wheel position. Over inflation can lead to "darting". Low inflation can lead to blow-outs. If you find the front end light (actual weight is a lower percent of capacity than rear axle), move weight forward. That will help both ride and handling. Ideal is to have each axle loaded to approximately the same % of GAWR.

2. As Herman mentioned, an alignment can often help. Have caster set toward the high end of spec-- that will aid in both return to center and straight line tracking. Go to a HD truck shop for this, not an RV dealer.

John,

We put a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer on our Safari and it helped considerably with cross winds and ruts in the road.

I recommend a dampened hydraulic solution rather than springs.

Chuck

I appreciate the replies and will try some of these tips first. Im just a little tired of the problem and just want to try and improve the driving and steering. It beats me to a pulp and surely distracts from the pleasures of rving. John503

I have used the Steer Safe on a 36'Freightliner chassis Meridian and it helped with the wind and truck passing issues quite a bit. When we went for our 42' coach (again, Freightliner), I installed a TruCenter active steering stabilizer that can also re-center the steering to accommodate cross winds, road camber, etc. This really works great and makes driving a much more relaxed experience. There is no impact from passing trucks, cross winds, etc. and you can instantly adjust the centering to accommodate changing conditions.

Best wishes.

My 2011 Breeze 32 BR had a minor problem of pulling left slightly and diving down when stopping. Alignment didn't solve the problem. Check of brake system and suspension revealed no problems. Problem is not severe and is manageable when you are aware/prepared for it. Tifffin is currently working to find a fix. :blink: HOWEVER, I had a Safety Plus installed today and NOT for hopes of correction of this problem. Previous RV I had a Steer Safe for help with blowouts and driver fatigue. Helped tremendously. :rolleyes: I decided to install the Safety Plus for the same reasons. It also tightened up loose feeling steering today. MAN… AM I HAPPY! :D

I had installed at FMCA Rally in Perry, took about 45 min to install by thier techs. One of the best things I have put on our motorhome. Improved the steering 100%, tracks true no more adjusting the steering all the time.

Have 2003 Itasca Suncruiser 37B Gas.

My 2011 Breeze 32 BR had a minor problem of pulling left slightly and diving down when stopping. Alignment didn't solve the problem. Check of brake system and suspension revealed no problems. Problem is not severe and is manageable when you are aware/prepared for it. Tifffin is currently working to find a fix. :blink: HOWEVER, I had a Safety Plus installed today and NOT for hopes of correction of this problem. Previous RV I had a Steer Safe for help with blowouts and driver fatigue. Helped tremendously. :rolleyes: I decided to install the Safety Plus for the same reasons. It also tightened up loose feeling steering today. MAN… AM I HAPPY! :D

Glad to hear it!

:D

I installed the Steer Safe unit a couple of years ago. It works exactly as advertised. It assists in keeping the wheels in a straight forward position. It does stiffen the steering a little bit, but it's not an issue. I recommend the system.

Jim Sanderson

1995 Monaco Dynasty 36'

Canada, eh?

I did as Wolfe suggested on weighing the MO and found no major problems. After a lot of thought I opted to buy and install the SteerSafe system. There was a good deal of improvement as far as wind and passing semi's and much less of the steering having to be constantly adjusted. I went into this install hoping for at least a 50% or so improvement and got a lot more than that. I don't know if anything would completely solve these type problems but in my case the SteerSafe is a big help.

The added piece of mind if I have a front tire blow-out is a plus in my book as well. The install was fairly easy and straight forward and took myself and brother-inlaw about one and half hours to do the job. We could have done it quicker if we had not stopped several times to double check. I test drove the MO about 100 miles, appx. half on secondary roads and the rest on interstate and was well pleased with the results.

John

2006 Monaco

John,

We put a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer on our Safari and it helped considerably with cross winds and ruts in the road.

I recommend a dampened hydraulic solution rather than springs.

Chuck

x2 Highly recommended. :D

We all can have differing opinions regarding the best steering aid. Something like the Ford-Chevy conversation. My understanding is that all of the available steering aids are primarily spring operated. The ones that look much like shock absorbers attach to the tie rod that runs from one wheel to the other. I chose not to use this type because of cost, and also that while this type stabilizes the movement of the tie rod, it forces the tie rod ends to absorb the stresses to control the wheels. I was intrigued by the Steer Safe design in that by design, it controls the movement of the wheel itself right at the king pin, therefore theoretically reducing steering system stresses.

I know, it's a small point, and not one that I wish to be the cause of a dispute. I believe that any of the available steering aids will be just that, a great aid in steering. I also believe that someday, this will be accomplished electronically. In fact, I believe it is already available in some higher end new coaches today. I do not believe anything in electronic steering aids is available as an aftermarket add on device.

jimkate,

There was one unit out that was used by both Rvers and Truckers. It was called Howard Steering. It was both electronic and hydraulic. It worked on the same principal as the trim on an aircraft. Cross winds were never a problem with the Howard Steering Units. And here is the big But, but they are out of business.

Good but gone. :(

I put Super Steer steering arm shaft on my 1999 Freightliner chassis at suggestion of a local dealer. It made a huge difference in wander and need to correct steering. One of the best of many 're-engineering" mods I have made. I have been considering air bag suspension limit valves (motion control units) also from Henderson.

I installed Steer Safe this morning, took a little over an hour and would have been easier with 2 people. We will try it out tomorrow. I called and ordered from the factory, very easy to understand and very helpful.

A good company that actually practices "customer service".

We were going to put Safe T Plus steering control on our 2005 American Traditon, Camping World checked for us but because we have front end independent suspension on our Spartan chassis, we would have to go to the Safe T Plus center in Decatur, Georgia for them to do it at a cost of $1,200.00. compared to Camping World's $600. A little costly.

Just purchased a Safe T Plus (41-230) for my Thor Serrano. They currently have a Internet special on Safe T Plus system. Best price I could find. Will be installing myself in the next few days. Let you know how it goes. Talked to independent installers and they recommended the Safe T Plus over the other systems. Will see....

The Safari Panther I am considering has both the Safe T Plus damper and the Steer Safe system installed on it by a previous owner. Not sure if they were trying to compensate for a problem or were just very concerned for their safety. The Panther is on the 10 airbag S Series Roadmaster chassis. Has anyone ever used both systems on one of these? Why both?

Steve

2005 Panther

I've had the Steer Safe on my 2016 Winnebago Sightseer 36Z for 24000 of the 25000 miles on it and I love it. That first 1000 miles was very tiring just trying to keep it in the middle of the lane.  Since then It drives like a car.  I also added Helwig Sway Bars both front and rear.  Drives like a dream.

I really think the previous owner was attempting to compensate for other issues. Before anything else, have a total alignment performed on your chassis. I was experiencing steering wander even though the front tires were wearing evenly. I took my Spartan chassis to a HDT repair shop and requested a total alignment. The technician found the rear axle was out of alignment by 3/4", which he corrected and completed the total alignment($300). Afterwards our MH drove more like my Silverado pickup, steady, straight, and the steering wheel was once again level. I think I'm getting about 1/4 MPG more too, of course that is very difficult to calculate correctly so it may be my imagination.