Sign in to follow this  
rrlowther

Importance Of Pressure Reducer

Okay, so we're still learning. I know I know. It's a never ending process.

But I wanted to ask. We were sold a pressure reducer to used when connected to shore water. My question is, how important is this and do I need to use it any time I'm connected to shore water?

Appreciate your thoughts.

A pressure reducer is not important UNLESS (read that as a very LARGE UNLESS) the shore water is at high pressure. If it is, you can easily rupture plumbing in your RV, as it was not designed for the pressure present in a lot of city water systems.

So, unless you check the water pressure before hooking up, always use a pressure reducer. There are inexpensive ones that work fine, but do restrict volume and more expensive ones that do a good job of reducing pressure without reducing water flow.

This information is a couple of years old, but will give you a good starting point. I suspect you can also find it pre-assembled-- have seen them at several vendors at FMCA Conventions.

High volume water pressure regulator: watts 3/4 n45bu sku# 0953021 $19.95. Watts 3/4 brass hex nipple. A-875 $2.23.one end in the regulator, then female 3/4 to male hose on the other. Male hose to female 3/4 adapter $3.94. Female hose to male 3/4 adapter $2.96 in the regulator, and park hose. Bib.flotec gauge tc2104 $6.79 in the 3/4 nipple. total $ 35.87

This information is a couple of years old, but will give you a good starting point. I suspect you can also find it pre-assembled-- have seen them at several vendors at FMCA Conventions.

High volume water pressure regulator: watts 3/4 n45bu sku# 0953021 $19.95. Watts 3/4 brass hex nipple. A-875 $2.23.one end in the regulator, then female 3/4 to male hose on the other. Male hose to female 3/4 adapter $3.94. Female hose to male 3/4 adapter $2.96 in the regulator, and park hose. Bib.flotec gauge tc2104 $6.79 in the 3/4 nipple. total $ 35.87

Thank you Brett! I'll start looking fro them now.

I use the setup recommended by Brett.

As to how important it is - in my 9 years of full timing I have seen pressures as high as 150 psi in some campgrounds. That can be enough to cause some serious problems.

I don't see pressure higher than 45 psi often, but it only takes once...