bairman

Ford TSB for Towing Fusion, Escape, Mariner

Here is the new TSB (technical service bulletin) for the Ford Fusion, Escape and Mariner with the 6F-35 transmission. Don't see much difference between this and old.

bairman,

I think there is a very significant change. Look near the end. Until now you had to run the engine for at least 5 minutes and just before shutting it off run the gear shift through the pattern they defined.

NOW, you have to keep your foot on the brake and run through the gears for the FULL five minutes that you are running the engine.

GR

I don't believe that is what it means. Foot on brake for safety reasons and to not put stress on tow bar. Run through gears once to lube all internal parts and run for 5 minutes to get fluid to temp and correct level. There is nothing to be gained by continuing to run through the gears for 5 minutes. If you check a properly set (fluid) transmission the fluid level on a cold transmission will just touch the bottom of the dip stick, but when brought up to temperature it will move up to the recommended settings.

I would highly recommend you don't buy a Ford Escape, Fusion, Mercury Mariner or Mazda Tribute to tow. They all use the same transmission which is very prone to catastrophic failure. My 2009 failed twice. It only had 10900 miles on it at the last failure. I sold it to a Ford dealer in Amarillo and went back to the Honda CR-V. Ford refused to buy it back at any price four times or reimburse me for my expense of making this mistake. Google "Ford Escape transmission problems + towing" and you will see several reports of transmission failures, some resulted in the vehicle catching fire. Also, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration lists at least 3 reports of transmission failures. Ford won't buy them back until you have four failures which is the magic number most State Lemon Laws use. If you want to put up with four failures then you can use your State Lemon Law to get a full refund of your purchase price minus a small allowance for your use of the vehicle. I'd be glad to share info such as addresses, names, phone numbers etc. with anyone. Contact me at: briact07@hotmail.com

Hopefully this year's Dinghy Towing Guide from Motor Home Magazine will put a warning in their information on the Escape.

This reply comes from a recent purchaser of a 08 Chrysler T/C with the 62 TE, 6 speed automatic transmission, which during Remco's testing had issues with too much hot fluid expansion that it caused the lube pump to pump air. Not sure if there was a transmission failure. Remco has said if uneasy about putting their LP-1 pump on this transmission, then don't, as if there is a failure your on your own to replace.

I hate to say it but I think a tow dolly is in my future.

Thanks everyone. I made the mistake of leasing a Toyota RAV4 just before we purchased our 2002 Safari Zanzibar (40 ft). We quickly learned that the Toyota AWD system is not towable at all, and parked the Toyota each winter when we went south. We're about to end the lease with the Toyota and look for another rolling dog kennel to pull. The Honda CRV is an early choice, but the Fords were on the list. Thanks for the warnings.

Jaggerdog (Canada)

Had our Escape and our Flex in for six month service today. I took the TSB and the 2011 and 2012 Escape and Fusion manual pages related to towing with me and reviewed them with the Service Manager. I pointed out our concern - do we run engine for five minutes and then run through the D-R-N pattern at the end OR do we sit for the full five minutes with our foot on the brake (as stated in the TSB) and run through the gears for the full five minutes.

He contacted Ford and they were very clear in their reply. You run for five minutes with your foot on the brake and run through the gears for the FULL five minutes. The 2012 Manual is being revised now and this will be in the next edition.

They are NOT going to be notifying owners so it makes me wonder how we are supposed to know when they make a change like this. Are we supposed to go into the Ford web site regularly and look for applicable TSBs? Are there other TSBs that we are not aware of. More than a bit frustrating.

I followed the guidelines going to Farmington, but stopped every two hours. I still burned up my transmission on the way home.

Babbatt Ford in Flagstaff replaced it and when I got it home I traded it in for a Chevy HHR.