coarsegoldgg

High Definition Video Upgrade

We recently upgraded our satellite system on our motorhome to a high definition model with a high definition flat screen TV. The system and TV work great but have caused a lot more problems. 1) HD satellite receiver doesn't have coax video outputs so the old video distribution panel doesn't allow me to send the video/audio signals to all the other equipment in the coach. How have others dealt with these issues? I'd like to have my surround sound working, DVD working and be able to watch TV in the bedroom should I so desire. Please let me know the equipment used and a source where I might buy it.

We installed this in a 2003 Monaco Windsor.

Thanks

coarsegoldgg

Guest BillAdams

As long as you can get by without the HD in the bedroom you can buy a converter that will take the Yellow, Red, White composite output from the receiver and send it through a coax connection which you can plug into your video controller. If you need HD picture and sound at a 2nd TV then you must either install a second receiver at that location or use and HDMI splitter and run a second HDMI cable from the front receiver all the way to the back TV (over, under, around, somehow).

If you have a VCR in your unit you could run the composite video and audio out on the Sat receiver to the video audio line input on the VCR and select VCR on your switching unit to watch in the bed room. You have to have the power on the VCR.

As long as you can get by without the HD in the bedroom you can buy a converter that will take the Yellow, Red, White composite output from the receiver and send it through a coax connection which you can plug into your video controller. If you need HD picture and sound at a 2nd TV then you must either install a second receiver at that location or use and HDMI splitter and run a second HDMI cable from the front receiver all the way to the back TV (over, under, around, somehow).

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about installing a 2nd receiver in the bedroom and trying to get a RG6 coax through the overhead to supply the signal and then just use a short HDMI for that signal. This would allow me to use the existing coax cable to feed other video signals from the from back to the rear TV. I think I will have to purchase a new home theater amp for the from which will allow me to feed HDMI inputs from the sat reciever and blue ray DVD and then feed those video inputs to the front TV using an HDMI cable and then use the adapter you talked about above to feed the video to the rear using the existing video contoller. I guess I just needed that last piece of the puzzle. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

If you have a VCR in your unit you could run the composite video and audio out on the Sat receiver to the video audio line input on the VCR and select VCR on your switching unit to watch in the bed room. You have to have the power on the VCR.

It's sad but a fact of life - no VCR installed but I agree with the suggestion of using the coposite video to feed an amp but I would not have the digital surround sound. If my existing amp doesn't support digital audio coax input or digital optical inputs I'm going to upgrade the reciever and use it to not only distribute the video but process the audio as well. Thanks so much for your input and I will let you know how it works out.

We installed a new surround sound amp and blyray DVD player in the front of the coach. This allows us to run the HDMI cables directly to the amp and then use another HDMI to the TV. For regular TV antenna use we ran the existing coax cable to the TV connector and then use a fiber optics cable to the amp for the audio signal. Seems to work just fine. As far as the rear of the coach is concerned, we just use the existing coax cable to the rear for the satellite feed an installed another sat rec in the rear and a 2nd dvd player. Not the ideal situation but who needs all this stuff anyway - we are usually just to busy enjoying the sights and sounds around us but once in awhile it is just plain nasty outside.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Its possiblle to feed audio from the satellite receiver to the surround amp through the coax or optical cable.You can run the sound from your bluray player the same way. Remember if you run video thru any cable but hdmi or cat 5 the picture quality will suffer. You will no longer have HD. The only problem with running the hdmi through the surround amp is that you must have the amp on all the time. If you are running on inverter that is a lot of current draw. The amp will draw about 3 times more current than an LED LCD HD tv.