Sign in to follow this  
annettepeter

Non US Residents Needs Vehicle Registration Information

We want to purchase an RV to use for our annual holidays rather than renting one each year while visiting from Australia as this would be far more cost effective over time.

Does anyone know of a state in the USA which will allow non residents to register motor vehicles. The problem being not having a USA residential address or driving license.

Virginia is the only state we have come up with so, hoping there may be more.

You might try Montana. If you create an LLC you do not have to be a resident to register your vehicle while at the same time avoiding most sales tax.

Montana has very low RV use taxes and registration. However, there is cost to set up and maintain an LLC.

Google bennett lawyers in Montana, they are compentent and trustworthy. I've had my RV registered in Montana with them.

Guest Wayne77590

There is a gentleman on the iRV2 forum from Denmark. He stores his MH here in the states, in Texas, and each year he comes back for travel. He uses the name "Great Dane." You may want to go over there and give him a holler. friendly folks.

Go to the company that stands to benefit the most from your motorhome purchase -- the dealer -- and ask. They will have a vested interest in getting you on your way. RV dealers on the American coasts would likely be better to contact for info (California and Texas, or Florida, for example). Mid-country RV dealers are not as likely to know what to do, I'd wager! I know a UK couple that traveled here every six months and got a Florida license plate from their dealer, Lazy Days of Florida.

Good advice, BUT, I would not take any dealer's (or salesperson's) word for this.

Verify the information you receive from them with the state in which you are considering registering the vehicle.

The good news is that most of the statutes are on-line and/or you can e-mail so you have a concrete answer before making final plans.

Guest BillAdams

Beware of VA. I don't know how it works for non-residents but vehicles registered in VA are charged a Personal Property tax in additional to registration fees and they can be quite steep.

You might try Montana. If you create an LLC you do not have to be a resident to register your vehicle while at the same time avoiding most sales tax.

Montana has very low RV use taxes and registration. However, there is cost to set up and maintain an LLC.

Google bennett lawyers in Montana, they are compentent and trustworthy. I've had my RV registered in Montana with them.

Thanks Desmo for your reply. You've given me something else to work on now - I need now to investigate just what a LLC is!

There is a gentleman on the iRV2 forum from Denmark. He stores his MH here in the states, in Texas, and each year he comes back for travel. He uses the name "Great Dane." You may want to go over there and give him a holler. friendly folks.

Hi Wayne, Thanks for your reply and tip - I'll look up The Great Dane, Annette

Go to the company that stands to benefit the most from your motorhome purchase -- the dealer -- and ask. They will have a vested interest in getting you on your way. RV dealers on the American coasts would likely be better to contact for info (California and Texas, or Florida, for example). Mid-country RV dealers are not as likely to know what to do, I'd wager! I know a UK couple that traveled here every six months and got a Florida license plate from their dealer, Lazy Days of Florida.

Thanks Peggy for your reply and tips - gives me something to work on, Annette

Good advice, BUT, I would not take any dealer's (or salesperson's) word for this.

Verify the information you receive from them with the state in which you are considering registering the vehicle.

The good news is that most of the statutes are on-line and/or you can e-mail so you have a concrete answer before making final plans.

THanks Brett, I think you and I think a like - I always double check things, no good purchasing a vehicle only to drive it to what ever DMV and find we are unable to register it, Annette

Beware of VA. I don't know how it works for non-residents but vehicles registered in VA are charged a Personal Property tax in additional to registration fees and they can be quite steep.

THanks Bill, very good to know. All these taxes in the US, and we thought we were over taxed here, Annette