GeraldScott

Maintenance & Operating Cost Comparison

My wife and I currently own a 35' GAS MH. We are considering switching to a Diesel. Is there anyone who can provide cost comparisons for the Operating and Maintenance cost for each unit type? All dealers we have visited concentrate on performance. Which is understandable.

Gerald,

First, a question: Do you do your own routine maintenance or pay for all of it?

Makes more difference on a diesel than a gas coach.

Brett

Yes, Brett has a good point. I don't have the skills or tools/place to perform routine engine/chassis maintenance, so my expenses are high compared to those who have the ability & place to work on the coach. BTW, the costs are higher even if you do the work yourself. A DP is usually equipped with high capacity oil pans and cooling fluids as well as hydraulics/pressurized air systems with multiple filters for fuel, coolant, transmission. You can get a Class A gasser with 19.5 inch tires whereas most diesels use 22.5 inch tires...this is a great cost difference due to GVWR of diesels (some newer gassers use 22.5 inch tires as the GVWR can be 22,500 lbs.

The coach works maintenance are no different as a Dometic fridge or A/C is the same regardless of the fuel used. Also, if you buy an orphan coach, the ability to replace custom parts used only on that brand may be impossible in the future.

Thanks for the responses to the original post on O & M comparisions. To answer some of the questions presented, my physical abilities aren't what they used to be so I would not be doing my own maintenance other than in emergency situations. Also, I apologize for not being more clear about the cost comparison. I am mainly interested in mechnical/drivetrain cost. I understand plumbing, electrical and body should be close if not equal.

Hopefully this will help. We just had an oil change on our 2000 Safari Zanzibar Diesel Pusher. The oil change was $450.00. We also changed the fuel filters, $95.00 (we had spare filters on the coach so this was just labor). We had the oil changed on the diesel generator that was $175.00. Did NOT include a coolant fluid change.

Having said that, the oil will not have to be changed again until we hit 15,000 Miles or 1 year. The generator won't need another oil change for 500 hours or 1 year. (correct me here if I'm wrong).

We haven't yet had the chassis lubed or the brakes serviced.

I would suggest though, if you are looking at a used DP look into extended warranties. Good Sam seems to have to have a good one but it's pretty expensive. Having said that, we paid $3,400 for our for 3 years or 36,000 miles. To date, we've had nearly $5K in repairs paid for by the warranty. But then again, we've spent twice that in other repairs. LOL

I will say this, When it comes to the differences in driving a gas coach and diesel pusher, there's no comparison!

We haven't yet had the chassis lubed or the brakes serviced.

Those jobs are routinely part of a LOF. Kind of surprises someone would service any coach and not lube the chassis.

Chassis lube is important, as (obviously) is brake service (checking sack-adjusters and lubing some brake designs).

I just read a post by a guy who had to replace U joints with only 12,000 miles on them. Of course they were 7 years old and had NEVER been lubed by him (the original owner). Some wounds are self inflicted.

Brett