kellyfrank

New RV Owner -- No TV Signal

We have a 2000 Dutch Star 38'. Our issue is watching TV. We can't, but we can watch a DVD.

I have three components, 1. Dystar flat screen TV. 2. A Magnavox DVD player. 3. A box that says ch3 or ch4. ch3 red led, ch4 green led light on front. DVD has to be on for everything to come on, TV is set to to ch4, on small box ch4 green led light is on.

I was told to change the channel thru that small box w remote. Antenna is up, I went to a high spot BJ's parking lot in Auburn Mass. Static on ch4 and no signal bar on everything else ...

Guest BillAdams

It sounds like you have the older analog TV(s) and the box with the CH 3/4 lights is a digital to analog converter. When this is on and you have the TV tuned to the proper channel do you get any kind of logo or menu (or anything) that indicates that you are connected to that box? Do you have the remote control for that box? Is there a name on the box itself?

Next subject....In addition to the hardware you have listed you need to ensure that the roof top antenna is getting power and the input from the correct source. Do you have a video control center with push buttons for TV, Sat, DVR,Cable,etc.? Does this box have an on/off button? If so, this must be on to provide power to the over the air antenna. If this box does not have an on/off switch, there will be a separate (usually wall mounted inside a cabinet) with a very small button or slide switch and an LED light indicating power is on or off. This must be on to provide power to the over the air antenna.

Lastly, if you do have a converter box as described above many folks hooked them up incorrectly but we can talk about that if once we get some more information and on the assumption that you are at least able to see the converter setup on your TV.

Just one comment, I see that you were in Massachusetts. Did this work elsewhere. There is a television station transmitting on channel 4, you may have to change to channel 3 in this area.

Best of luck.

Thank You Bill, first I do have a converter that has ( ANT. VIDEO. AUX.) one for incoming, one for TV=1, one for TV=2. when vid. pushed a dvd works, when ant. used and tv on ch4 it says CBS but no real signal from that station. i have all three buttons on ant. (I have tried a thousand combo's,,,LOL), I will go out and look for an on/off switch but I do not believe there is one. How do I see if the antenna is working?

Just one comment, I see that you were in Massachusetts. Did this work elsewhere. There is a television station transmitting on channel 4, you may have to change to channel 3 in this area. Best of luck.

Never went anywhere yet... lol

Is your flat screen TV an HD Television? If not, the "channel3/channel4 box is a HDsignal to analog converter. Get a set of rabbit ears and hook it up to the coax connector on the TV until you get a signal. You will have to futz with the Video 1, Video 2 toggle. Once you get a picture try to hook up the coax to the regular connections.

If you cannot get a signal, then your television is not HD. Now hook up the rabbit ears to the Channel 3/Channel 4 box and futz with it again. If you get a picture, disconnect the rabbit ears and hook up the coax from your antenna. If you now do not get a signal, make sure the antenna booster (if equipped is on).

Not all flat screens are HD but if yours is you should be able to directly hook up an antenna and get a channel assuming you are not in the middle of nowhere. If you cannot get a channel the TV is not HD.

What is the brand, make and model of the TV and the "Channel3/Channel 4 box"

The TV is HD.

Kellyfrank

Is the TV original to your coach? If so it is not Digital. They didn't make digital TVs in 2000. Have you tried to hook it up to cable TV or a satellite receiver and dish? If so did you then get a picture? Do you have a digital TV that you can take out to the coach and see if it picks up any stations? Lot of questions but sorry no answers yet. :huh::huh::huh:

I look forward to your solution. My B-in-law has your same problem. I told him to take it to a shop.

Good Luck.

With an HD TV or using a digital to analog converter, you always have to scan for channels. You have to do this at each new location you travel to. Did you scan? You will find that on the menu of either one.