pattexaco

Engine Oil Recommendation- 8.1L Gas Engine

I will be changing the oil in my '06 Winnie with 8.1 L gas engine for the first time since purchasing it 4 months and 3,000 miles ago. It has 5w-30 Valvoline conventional oil in it now, but was thinking for this oil change and future changes to use 5w-30 Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic 5w-30. The engine has 14,300 miles on it.

I would value other opinions on which blend to use and why.

I have an '01 Winnebago with the 8.1L engine. I have been using full synthetic. I change oil at 7,000 miles and change filter at 3,500. It has 50,000 miles on it and uses about 1 quart every 5,000 not including the little I have to add at the filter change.

Thanks, Peter and Dave for your replies. Would you mind sharing with me what synthetic oil you are using?

Also, are you using the adapter for engine fuel filter or still able to get original workhorse filter? Sorry for all the questions, but do value your opinions. Again, thanks and stay safe.

I do not use synthetics in the diesel pusher. The maufacturer recommendation is every 6,000 miles with heavy duty 15W40 oil formulated for diesels. As well, the engine takes 16 qts. of oil, so there is not any savings in going to synthetic oil.

For the truck I use Mobil One 5W30.

I do the same as Peter-- conventional oil in the diesel (Delo 400 15-40 in the motorhome, Shell Rotella T 15-40 in the boat since Shell is easier to find in the Bahamas).

Synthetic in my gas vehicles (Mobil 1 5-20)

I am an AMSOIL guy (dealer too). I have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser, it is my 3rd motor home and I have used AMSOIL 10w30 in all three (454, 460 and this 8.1L engines). As a retired Army Maintenance Officer I learned a long time ago that synthetic oil was the way to go. My experience has been the the engine runs cooler, quieter, with better gas mileage and with the extended drain interval of AMSOIL (about 3 times longer than normal oil) it costs less. I use it in all my vehicles plus my lawnmowers. On the RV, I use a larger oil filter that holds 2 qts. I too add a quart about every 5,000 miles.

You guys that do not use synthetic in your diesels are missing the boat. You can triple your drain miles for a savings in cost.

Sorry, but please post a link to ANY engine manufacturer's statement that suggests extended (time) drain intervals when using synthetic oil in a diesel engine.

Hi guys, I use mobile 1 syn. in my cars and I use Valvoline syn in my 8.8 L.Cummins. All my engine service is done at the Cummins dealer. I also run the Valvoline Syn. in my Onan diesel generator. In the past 3yrs I have not had a problem starting the engine or the generator in - 30 temps. I run synthetic because of the cold temps here in Winnipeg. I want as much protection for my engines on a cold start as I can get. As far as extended oil changes Cummins does not recommend that. I have the rv serviced once a year and so far so good. I think that when you have very expensive sports cars coming from the factory with synthetic oil in them its something to think about. Just my 2 cents, Smokeater75

Brett

Lots of things have been improved and new methods have been developed to make running our engines and transmissions since 1993. Better oil filtration is just the start of ways to make your oil perform better and longer. I'm also an Amsoil dealer but I'm not here to sell you a thing. In fact here's a link to just one of our competitors that do a good job of explaining the benefits of bypass filtration. Fleet operators have embraced this as it drastically lowers cost while reducing oil degradation over time.

http:// dubdubdub(dot)gulfcoastfilters(dot)com/understanding(_)lube(_)oil(_)and(_)its(_)j.htm

sorry for the mess above but the forum doesn't like me leaving links

Paul

http:// dubdubdub(dot)gulfcoastfilters(dot)com/understanding(_)lube(_)oil(_)and(_)its(_)j.htm

sorry for the mess above but the forum doesn't like me leaving links

Paul

To post a link, copy the link (highlight and hit copy from their website). Go to your post (or click "edit" to change your existing post). Click on the "Link" icon which is just to the right of the 1- 2- 3- just above your post. Scroll over it will cause it to say Link. Paste the link, then click OK.

Brett