Sign in to follow this  
CGRAVES

Lost Oil Pressure

I have a 2006 Mandalay with Cummins ISL 400. It suddenly lost oil pressure. It is full of oil and is still pumping ... could it be the sending unit or a fuse? The temp never got any higher than normal.I know it must be pumping -- had to drive it 45 minutes with the alarms going off. Never started rattling or overheating. Thanks. Robert

I had a gauge go bad. Cummins told me that if the engine, which has its own sensors, senses low or no oil pressure it will shut itself down. Therefore, it is likely that you have a faulty sensor that is setting off the manufacturer alarms while the engines own sensors tell it that all is well. This would also explain why it runs and the temperature remains in an acceptable range. Check with your dealer to get the factory installed sensor replaced. I'm betting that will solve your problem.

Robert,

If your engine was actually not circulating oil, you would have suffered substantial damage during the 45 minutes you continued driving. Consequently, I'd concur with Tom that the gauge is malfunctioning.

Do you have an auxiliary oil pressure gauge in your engine bay? If so, let's see if it also shows no pressure.

If both gauges show no pressure, the common sending unit is the most likely culprit. If the gauge in the engine bay shows pressure and the one on the dashboard shows none, then I'd look at the dash unit and the wiring leading to it.

Finally, you might be able to install a temporary (or permanent) manual gauge to an unused oil pressure port. That will give you an independent confirmation of the oil pressure -- and peace of mind!

Best wishes,

Tim

The same thing happened to me on an 02 Travel Supreme with the ISL 370 engine. I took it to Cummins and they found that the factory sending unit was bad. A new sending unit was installed and the ECM (electronic brain) was reprogrammed for the new sending unit. After the new sending unit was installed the dash mounted reads a constant 55 pounds of pressure, in effect turning the gauge into an "idiot light". According to Cummins and Spartan the new sending unit is incompatible with the ECM (?) and the installed gauge so I now have to install an aux gauge to replace the gauge in the dash.

According to Spartan this problem will also crop up in some Dodge Ram Pickups.

Hopes this helps

George Huggins