seajaycecil@yahoo.com

Towing custom car on dolly

Ok guys, I need some info about a ''car dolly''

I have bought my wife a custom car and we want to pull it behind the coach. I do not want to

go to the expense of putting a drive shaft disconnect on this car. I want to use a dolly.

The car is ''rear wheel drive'' and here is my question.....

When you put a rear wheel drive car on a car dolly I know you put the ''rear wheels'' on the dolly...

Do I set the front wheels straight and use the key to ''lock'' the wheels from turning?

Do I ''tie'' the steering wheel with the front wheels straight?

Do I just leave the steering wheel lose and let the front wheels ''track'' as they may when I pull the car

backwards behind the coach.

I am considering a dolly or a trailer and I like the idea of a dolly but I am not sure how well they

work with a rear wheel drive car.

I will pay ten cents for correct answers or good advise on this problem...

I will pay five cents for a good guess that may be correct but un-tried.

I will not pay anything for a blank stare and a drool from those of you who do not understand the question but I will

give you a dill pickle and some crackers...

I will pay you the next time I see you.......

Seajay the sailor man....

SeaJay,

I've seen your cars, or at least pictures of them. They are very nice cars! No official word on towing cars on tow dollies recommends towing with the rear wheels on the tow dolly! There are technical reasons for this having to do with the way the front wheels are aligned for stability in forward travel. Run it backwards and it becomes inherently unstable. Tire wear will likely be a problem. See the discussion under Technical:Towing:Tow Dolly Considerations for both sides of this argument. Plus, I've had flat tires on tow dollies and only known when a passing motorist flagged us down. I know you will hear from people who have done it for years and done so successfully but I think you would be best advised not to do that.

If I had one of your cars, the only way I would put it behind the motor home would be in an enclosed trailer! Think about it. Have you ever been stuck, pinched in behind a tractor trailer truck a little too close? Were you anxious about what was going to come up off the road from that truck? Having your nose (or tail) stuck to the back of a motor home is a terrible place to be. Your beautiful car will take some hits. We have a guardian on our tow bar, a full width mud flap on the rear of the motor home and mud flaps on each wheel of the motor home and we still found gravel on the roof of our Trailblazer. We added a bra that covers the front end and the windshield and it chafes the paint in a few areas. We get sand and dirt on the side windows and that scratches them when you raise and lower them. It is hard duty for any vehicle. I am resolved to keep the Trailblazer until we quit full-timing just because of the damage the car gets behind the motor home. I would never put a new car or valuable car behind the motor home knowing what I know now.

That is just my opinion, I could be wrong! After reading the above referenced discussion again, I'm certain I'll be wrong - for somebody! :rolleyes:

Hi SEAJAY,

To ensure I qualify for the ten cents, I have over 10 years of experience towing two different cars backwards on a dolly. Over 31 years experience owning class A motor coaches and towing in a variety of configurations. My signature indicates I currently tow both ways (four down and dolly). The steering wheel must be locked into a position that has the steering wheels straight. The more rigid one can make the steering wheel position the better off one is. Other than that, I have seen no difference in towing front or backwards. Absolutely no difference. No additional wear/tear no problems with the towed car suspension, tires or anything. Some things to watch out for are:

1. Stop/running lights need to be installed on the front of the towed vehicle. I use a portable light bar with suction cups placed on the hood of the towed car. An external wire runs to the power plug (via a splitter) to the tow dolly plug that connects to the coach.

2. My dolly has a platform that pivots on turns. With this kind of dolly, one can not back up, same as four down.

3. The dolly height and car must match each other. If your car sits low to the ground, will it mount and dismount the dolly without contacting the car's undercarriage or body parts?

4. The dolly width and car must match each other. Is there clearance on each side of the toad to allow for pivoting when turning?

5. The dolly weight carrying capability and the car must match. Can the dolly handle the weight being placed upon it?

After reading Tom's post, my big concern is the second paragraph of his post. My cars work for a living. They are your average every day car, with all the average, every day dings and wear/tear. If you have cars that are kept in above average to pristine condition, towing will be disappointing to you. No matter how I tow, my cars do take all kinds of hits. They also get filthy (especially West of the Great Plains), every travel day. This means a trip to the local car wash. Ugh, I know what you are thinking. Four down or dolly towing, I know of no way to keep the toad from getting filthy and marked up. Based on Tom's post, reconsider towing with your toad exposed.

First of all ..... Gary and Tom legally qualify for the ten cent reward for their info on the ''dolly question''.

I have taken it up with my ''review board'' and the ''board'' says that each of these fine people should receive

the reward for their opinions and their expert input concerning ''dolly towing''

It is understood that I, Seajay the sailor man, will pay on demand each of these men ten cents upon meeting them

whenever and where ever said meeting may occur. It is also understood that if either of these gentleman use,

or take advantage of my advise concerning SOAP IN A SOCK or any other chargeable advise so posted by myself that

this will offset said debt concerning said advise concerning ''dolly towing'' .... (this is lawyer stuff)....

Anyhow. the advise is good and you have raised the problem of dirt, dust, dents, dings, etc etc etc.

With that consideration I will look into an enclosed trailer to haul my wife's custom car because if it should get dented

dirty, dinged, dusty or otherwise messed up she would probably kill me dead or at least make me sleep on the sofa

for a month and a half without any of the ''comforts'' that our ladies afford us during travle.... (nuff said about that...lol....)

Thanks again for the advise

(anybody know where I can get a good used, cheap, enclosed trailer that will haul a car with a 145 inch wheel base

that is 19 feet long?)

Seajay the sailor man ....

Hi SEAJAY,

Try Aluminum Trailer Company and Aluminum Trailer Company Used Trailers. Also, google "aluminum trailers" and you'll get a bunch of choices. If you google "enclosed auto trailers" you'll really get a lot of choices. For me, I'd stick with aluminum construction. This is because of weight considerations of the entire loaded package you'll be towing.