Sign in to follow this  
Villamil

Hello There

Hi.

We became interested in camping during my tour of duty in Germany, circa 1968 to 1973. At that time, we, like most of the other folks, took advantage of the European campgrounds to see as much of Europe as we could at a reasonable price and without "imposing" our toddlers on the other hotel guests. After starting with a tent in Germany, we decided the best way to travel with children and pets was a recreational vehicle.

After a three year hiatus in the traveling schedule, we bought a travel-trailer. This proved to be very much better than the tent but was not as convenient as a motorhome. The motorhome allowed you to move in the morning without the need to get everyone out bed, particularly the children.

So in 1976 we purchased our first motorhome, a Winnebago Brave. We traveled most of the West and Northwest. When Winnebago came out with the 30-foot Chieftain on a GM chassis, we went for it. That was a lot of fun.

Now we are driving a 2005 Mandalay with a C-7 Cat. I will be retiring next year. Full-timing is not a bill of goods my copilot has bought into yet, but I do not give up. I have some long trips planned, maybe Mexico and definitively Alaska. As of now, I am getting man and machine ready for some serious "diesel burning."

Welcome to the Forum!

Nice history, looks like you have some fun planned. There is a whole section of the Forum on Full Timing. If you haven't looked at it yet, take a look. There are discussions of a number of aspects of full timing and some references to further information about going full time. You might share some of this with your copilot. We've were full time for 9 1/2 years before we went back to a house part time. It's a great experience.