Sign in to follow this  
ronmonson

Windshield Replacement - Wraparound Style

The wraparound windshield in my 2006 Monaco Cayman cracked about 3 weeks ago while driving over a large speed bump at a 45 deg angle. It cracked in the left top corner and then popped and ran all the way down to the dash. The cracked area is approx 18" wide and top to bottom.

My insurance is covering it, but I would like to know if I need to "watch for this or that" from the installer. My insurance picked the installer, since that was a condition of it being warranted by the glass replacement company.

It took about a week to get it shipped to an installer and it is just now being installed tomorrow.

Ron

I'm not sure what your question is. If the new windshield is replaced the same way as the original one was and you hit a speed bump the same I would suspect the same break would occur. This is because of body flex. Two piece windshields are a little more forgiving because of the center joint. As far as the warranty from the installer goes, they cover water leaks and defective glass. I had both of my windshields replaced at the Madison FMCA convention and two days latter I noticed a delam on one of the pieces. I called and had it replaced in Elkhart the next day.

I'd want to be there for the installation. This said after I was there for the only replacement I've had done. The company that installed the windshield on our current coach did an acceptable job but I was very skeptical about it at the time. They had to struggle to get it to fit into the rubber seal. I questioned the fit since they couldn't get it to fit as the original. The rubber seal still isn't flush with the body all the way around as it originally was. In fact the upper left is bulged up enough to block the water trough that is part of the top of the rubber seal. I talked to tech support at Monaco and they said that the company should have broken the seal loose from the body all the way around the window frame before installing the glass in the rubber seal. I noted the problems on the bill before paying my deductible. It has been five years and the windshield is still good. It has survived several rock chips and subsequent repairs, so I'd have to say that the job was good enough. Next time I know what to suggest if/when they have problems with the rubber seal.

When mine was changed out they scraped off all of the old sealer and then applied the new sealer from a caulking gun, it resembled black silicone. Fit was better than the factory original. Trim is almost perfect. Company was RV Solutions but they use local contractors. The contractor in Elkhart which replaced the defective new glass was very good. He came back two more times to make the trim rubber perfect.

Check with the people in Bremen Indiana (close to Elkhart) The company name is Precision Paint(they do lots more than paint and I hear are excellent). My coach is scheduled there in October for a windshield problem.