At a recent rally, I spoke with a representative of a non-Coach-Net Emergency Towing service who stated that Coach-Net will not pay for a tow due to a mechanical failure. His example was that if a tire blows and were to rip up part of the drive train, Coach-Net would only replace the tire and NOT tow the coach. This got my attention since I have had Coachnet for a few years (never needed to use them yet)and wondered if this was true or simply a tall tale to try and sell their product.

I did check my Coach-Net contract and did not see language to this regard, but was curious as to your experiences as we are planning a trip to Alaska next summer.

Thanks for your input!

To the best of my knowledge, if the coach can not be repaired on the spot, they will have the coach towed to where it can be repaired. We've had them tow us several times and I can say they won't always tow you where you want, they'll take you to the nearest place where you can get service. As an example we had a warranty issue but they would only tow to a shop that could fix the problem. We lost the warranty coverage. Fortunately it wasn't a huge bill. If it had been a very large bill, I'd have paid for additional 70 miles of towing to get to a Cummins shop. Coach Net will not pay to replace the tire, only get the mobile service there to replace the tire. You pay for the tire and any other needed materials. They pay for the service call.

It is no different with Good Sam road service. We had them at one point. They wouldn't even help us get the correct size tire. We were going to have to take a tire and rim that would have both been scrap because the shop that showed up for the service call didn't have the correct size tire not to mention a matching rim. It would have been $500 for scrap just to get us off the road. Once the road service showed up that was it for the Good Sam service. One service call is all you get. I had to call a dealer with a tire we could use. I paid for the service call and ended up buying a rim that would be replaced. At least I had something I could keep out of the deal!

It would be nice if the road service contract would work exactly as we want but it is a business and they will do what they say they will - and no more. They will get you off the road, what it costs you from there is irrelevant to them. Count yourself lucky if you get a skilled rep on the phone when you call for help. There are times when you will know more than they do about a given situation.

I have had CoachNet ever since buying my 2006 Simba. I was towed three times due to brake problems. They even recommended a very good RV repair place in Houston (RV Masters) for the final repair. As reported on another forum, They have "saved" me twice for tire problems on the road. They found a tire shop with the correct tires and the ability to change the tires out in the boondocks.

I wouldn't leave home without Coach Net. My only cost was paying for the new tires.

I had an experience with CoachNet last year, we had tire problems in Clines Corner, NM. I located a full service mobil tire repair center 30 minutes away who could furnish a tire if need be and also change my spare. CoachNet said no, we have someone 90 minutes away who will change your tire and will tow you (in the opposite direction of my travels),if there is a problem with another tire.

I refused and told them logistically this did not make sense. After talking to numerous idiots with CoachNet I was able to explain the situation to a supervisor and he agreed that the best fix would be with the full service facility.

We need to remember that we are talking to a call center and the person on the other end does not have a clue of the situation. You have to be proactive and not settle for their way, if it does not make sense. I know each situation is different, but push if their way is logistically stupid.

I had reason to call Coachnet 3 weeks ago when my coach started overheating in the Colo. mountains. At first I just wanted some technical assistance since they say this is part of their services. All I needed was confirmation of where my thermostat was located on my engine (I was pretty sure I knew where it was, but wanted to make sure. After being asked a bunch of questions and being transfered to a "technician" I was told, "I'm not sure where the thermostat is, but it should have a wire running to it".

I called back later to inquire about towing, hoping they would tow me to Denver, but they would only tow me to the nearest repair facility (I expected this so was not too suprised). I think I will still keep them for the chance I would need towing while out of state, or need my spare tire mounted, but I'm not going to count on the "technical assistance".

To answer the original question, yes they would cover the tow. This is a one-time service, I think once a year.

Towing Service tows whenever necessary, right? Once a year? I have been towed twice in about a week time at over 100 miles each time. Coach-Net has been good to me except the second rep on the phone was not as knowledgeable as the previous rep. So far I am a fan.

>>>>>>>>>

To answer the original question, yes they would cover the tow. This is a one-time service, I think once a year.

I have not had to use Coachnet, but won't go anywhere without them.

For Tech Advice:

I carry phone numbers for the Manufacturers Tech Rep, and on two occasions, they spent a couple hours on the phone walking me through issues, tests, etc., and with their help resolved the problems.

I also carry the phone number for the Manufacturers Parts Department. On two occasions, there was not an RV parts dept close and they shipped the part out and received them within 2 days. One part was significantly less expensive to obtain form the manufacturer than a local parts dept and ordered it from the manufacturer.

They're parts department has been reasonable and efficient.

I recently had work completed at the factory that was out of warranty. However, they accepted my extended warranty coverage. Went to my desitination, and 3 months later, the same problem began. Called Tech Rep, and they sent me an additional $200 part without cost to fix the problem.

I keep telephone numbers to all products installed in the Motorhome, splendide, etc. If and when I have an issue, that's my first call unless its after hours or a weekend. Then I may try a non-product Tech Rep. Generally, no one knows products better than the manufacturer. When you look at the expense of maintaining/repairing a MH, I want the best tech advice I can find.

Safe Highways.

On a Sunday afternoon, I had an idiot at the KOA in Sacramento, CA blow out the check valve on my propane tank while filling it. It started blowing propane out when he disconnected the hose. So he took a steel screwdriver and stuck it in the fill hole! I retreated very quickly. Unfortunately the fill station is right at the entrance to the park. So the park called the fire department who came and wanted to evacuate the park. No can do, the entrance is blocked by my motorhome spewing propane. Why are parks allowed to place their tanks is such dangerous locations I wonder?

At the same time, the park manager remembered that the propane supply company had given her a brass attachment that was designed to screw over the damaged fill system and itself, becomes the new fill point. (This happens all the time to forklifts and other propane-fueled rigs.) She had no idea what it was but it stopped the leak.

The fire department advised me to park the motorhome and have it towed to a repair facility. When I called CoachNet the tech rep could not tell me whether the 'fix' was safe and he informed me they would not tow the motorhome to a repair facility. I talked to a supervisor who backed up the rep. The contract states that if the motorhome is not drivable, they will tow it. Great help!

So I drove the motorhome off the park property and parked it along a public road off in the dirt. The brass attachment continued to hold and no more leakage occurred. So after an hour of sitting there, I secured the brass attachment to prevent it rotating off the fill connection with some Gorilla Duct tape (very strong) and drove home. Turns out it sort of locks into place and there was no danger of it coming loose.

On Monday I called a propane supplier and explained the problem. They said the brass attachment is a normal fix and it was OK to leave it installed forever. One of these days when the tank is empty, I'll remove it and take it in to the propane supplier where they will bleed it empty, replace all the tank attachments and re-certify the tank. BTW, I could not find anyone who would capture the propane in the tank to empty it. They said to use the propane up until appliances would no longer operate and then they'd vent the tank to atmosphere. Hmmm.

I also called the tank manufacturer in Canada. Turns out most motorhome tanks are custom made and would cost a lot of money (over $1,000) to buy a new one. But they gave me all the part numbers to bring the tank up to modern standards.

I also called CoachNet and threatened to report them to the California Insurance Commissioner about making false claims about their insurance. They backed down very quickly and said it was all a mistake. I still pay their premiums and they've helped me before this but next time I will be more than politely insistent.

At a recent rally, I spoke with a representative of a non-Coach-Net Emergency Towing service who stated that Coach-Net will not pay for a tow due to a mechanical failure. His example was that if a tire blows and were to rip up part of the drive train, Coach-Net would only replace the tire and NOT tow the coach. This got my attention since I have had Coachnet for a few years (never needed to use them yet)and wondered if this was true or simply a tall tale to try and sell their product.

I did check my Coach-Net contract and did not see language to this regard, but was curious as to your experiences as we are planning a trip to Alaska next summer.

Thanks for your input!

The only limitation like this is that you're entitled to one covered service "per incident", and thats standard for almost all of the RV road service plans.

ie: if you have a flat tire and/or mechanical breakdown at the same time, Coach-net will pay for either a road service response or a tow, not both for that same "incident". Its important you understand the total problems and the corrections available by the road service company before you request their service. Sometimes its best to talk directly to the road service mechanic first, not just the phone answerer at Coach-net.

If you ask for a road service response, and then after they come out, they discover they can't fix all your issues on the side of the road, then you used up your one covered service per incident and the tow cost is now on you. Thats why some of us carry both Coach-net and Good Sam ERS, its cheap insurance to have multiple choices & coverages.