Sign in to follow this  
retiredblade

GM Settled With Me

After weeks of dealing with GM concerning the Chevy Cruze 4 wheels down problem, and reading on 3 RV forums of other folks having the same problem ...

I have finally settled. I believe GM is doing their best to put this problem to bed, not wanting a class action launched against them. My local dealer now owns my Cruze. GM applied everything I paid for the Cruze on the 2011 Buick Regal that I chose. I only lost $400 in paint clear coating and undercoating -- they did give me undercoating at dealer cost this time, so I will write off the $400 as rental for 5 months, $80/month ... not bad at all.

I did have to come up with more money, but it was worth it. The Buick is a way better car compared to the Cruze. It is towable 4 wheels down. My wife didn't like the way the Cruze handled but loves the way the Regal handles -- what a difference! If Mom is happy, then I remain happy.

I would like to thank GM, and I know they read these forums, and I would like to thank my dealership, which did a excellent job. I would buy another GM product and I will go to the same dealership. I hope everyone else caught in this same Cruze situation gets the same treatment and a satisfactory ending.

Did GM also pay for ALL the new baseplate and brake towing parts? Seems like you got snookered a bit. Cars haven't required undercoating for years. Well, to make the dealer a nice profit I suppose. Does anyone really know how much of a problem this is or if it is a problem? How many of you out there have had transmission failure anyway? GM does NOT give out any real facts in the note they were kind enough to send. Anyone have or is starting any kind of legal action against GM's clear breach of contract? There's no real reason we have to stop using the Cruze for the purpose we originally purchased it for is there? It came with a warranty in effect at the time of purchase with no warning that there may be a problem. I really don't understand why we owners of good faith have to suffer for their screw-up. Comments? Thoughts? Solutions?

First of all, when I had the Cruze, I delayed buying a baseplate, something in my spirit said to hold off, I did. No, I don't think I got snookered, I hang around my buddies auto body shop, and you should see the fairly new cars with rusted fender wheel wells and rocker panels, I thought the same thing like you. We use a lot of road salt in Pennsylvania. The problem on the Cruze on 4 wheel down towing? Have you been reading the forums over the summer? Big problem, many, many have burnt up tranmissions. The manual originally said you could tow 4 wheels down, that's why we bought a Cruze, it is a real nice car. Then a few months later, when this thing was coming to a head, we owners got a supplement to our owners manual with a letter saying you can't tow 4 wheels down, if you do, your warranty will be null and void. As far as legal action, don't know if anyone has started a class action, that is why GM is settling with Cruze owners. Besides, who gets richer when a lawyer is engaged? Certainly not the one who hires him. If you have a Cruze and are not towing or going to tow it 4 wheels down, keep the Cruze! It is a real nice car! GM hit a home run with this car. Yes, I had to pay a little more for the Regal, but, wow! it is a much, much better car! Did I answer your questions?

As long as you're satified that's good enough for me They offered me a $1300 bucks towards a tow dolly or a trade down to a smaller Sonic with no cash difference To old to mess around with a unwanted dolly and my wife's wheelchairs don't fit in the Sonic anyway I'm hoping REMCO gets their pump system up and ready fairly soon Enjoy the life, PS: For anyone's information, From reports I've read,Ford has backed up their warrenty

Regards,

traveler38

As long as you're satified that's good enough for me They offered me a $1300 bucks towards a tow dolly or a trade down to a smaller Sonic with no cash difference To old to mess around with a unwanted dolly and my wife's wheelchairs don't fit in the Sonic anyway I'm hoping REMCO gets their pump system up and ready fairly soon Enjoy the life, PS: For anyone's information, From reports I've read,Ford has backed up their warrenty

Regards,

traveler38

At the beginning they offered me also $1,500. towards a dolly, that wasn't what I wanted. I looked at the Sonic, it looks at lot like the Cruze, tad bit smaller, but I didn't like the appointments inside it (dashboard). Also been reading about Fords tranny problems, this one couple burnt out three transmissions, Ford replaced them each time, after the third they went through their states lemon law and got rid of the car. I'm just guessing, maybe Ford thought it was cheaper to replace the transmissions, hoping that the third time folks would use the lemon law thus relieving them of replacing anymore? Who knows? Ford does!